Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
yeah that what happen when you have The TPS (Toyota Production System)

they dont over produce any parts ...or barely any... so thats why you cant have a tranny right now...

and as for the 1nzfe with c150 combo its been around since 1999 in japan and 2000 in north america so its more than a year or two

in 2000 here the echo began its life and it was the same tranny and engine as the echohatchback in canada and scion xa/xb in US

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the replies, guys. I had wondered if the tranny was an all-new design or one that had been used in the past.

I stopped by the dealer today with my camera in the hopes of getting a picture of the engine/tranny, but there wasn't much to get a picture of.

Speculation is that my car may be out of action for weeks (I hope not). More than one person at the dealer groaned at the prospect of this becoming a "technical issue" in Toyota-speak. Since this was clearly a manufacturing defect, I'm hoping Toyota will be very interested in resolving the issue so it isn't repeated with others' cars.

I'll keep you posted...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #21
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
technicaly that tranny is used since 1999...

Echo, vitz, yaris(euro), Belta Platz and many more even some country had the corolla with the same engine and tranny ...

the only thing is the 2 nd and 3 gear that are a bit different

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #22
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
Thanks for the replies, guys. I had wondered if the tranny was an all-new design or one that had been used in the past.

I stopped by the dealer today with my camera in the hopes of getting a picture of the engine/tranny, but there wasn't much to get a picture of.

Speculation is that my car may be out of action for weeks (I hope not). More than one person at the dealer groaned at the prospect of this becoming a "technical issue" in Toyota-speak. Since this was clearly a manufacturing defect, I'm hoping Toyota will be very interested in resolving the issue so it isn't repeated with others' cars.

I'll keep you posted...
I am really suprised toyota just won't give you a new car. That sounds like a major error in toyota production for them not just give you a new car. If it were me and I'd just had the car for a few months i'd definetly ask for a new one.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #23
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
I am really suprised toyota just won't give you a new car. That sounds like a major error in toyota production for them not just give you a new car. If it were me and I'd just had the car for a few months i'd definetly ask for a new one.
Toyota (or any car company) is not just going to give you another new car. The car companies will "try" to do everything to get it fixed. If no success, then the person more likely will have to get an attorney and go through the lemon law. Very expensive and time consuming but there is a very good chance you can win at this one.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
Goose
Car Geek

Another update...

I picked up my Yaris yesterday. Mighty impressed by the turnaround time. I asked how they found a new tranny so quick, considering the dire predictions; I guess there was a tranny lying around somewhere. Toyota's bill for the job: $2,950.00(!)

One problem though...

I have to bring the car back in 'cause there's something funky going on with the engine/tranny after the replacement. My best guess is that one of the engine mounts is binding or just isn't torqued up properly. Whenver the engine rocks on its mounts (like when changing gears or starting off the line), there's a clunking noise. Again, this description of what's going on is just my guess - it could be something totally different. All I know is that the noise wasn't there prior to the removal/replacement of the tranny. We'll see what's up.

My dealer has been great and represents Toyota well, but this is getting to be a bit of a pain. I'll keep ya'll posted...

Old 10-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #25
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
dude: IMHO you should ask for a new car...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #26
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Toyota (or any car company) is not just going to give you another new car. The car companies will "try" to do everything to get it fixed. If no success, then the person more likely will have to get an attorney and go through the lemon law. Very expensive and time consuming but there is a very good chance you can win at this one.

Kevin
Thanx, but isn't his car under warranty for a certain amount of time. He definelty got a lemon.

If I were him i'd definelty make some phone calls up the chain of command of toyota. And record your calls if possible. I had kind of the same problem with my big screen sony t.v.. At first the people just hemmed and hawed about fixing it right even though it was under warranty still. But I started phoning up the chain of command of sony and finally found some guy that raised hell about fixing my big screen. In which they wound up gving me a new one.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
Goose
Car Geek

I agree, but I'm going to give my dealer another crack at it. Unfortunately I've already racked up over 8,000 miles(!) on my Yaris since May. I doubt they'd be willing to give me a new car.

Again, I'll keep you posted. This is pretty interesting stuff (to put the best face on it) - I've never had this kind of problem with a new car before.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Goose; 10-12-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #28
Yaris-TJ

Drives: Yaris Sedan ST Barcelona Red
Quote:
I picked up my Yaris yesterday. Mighty impressed by the turnaround time. I asked how they found a new tranny so quick, considering the dire predictions; I guess there was a tranny lying around somewhere. Toyota's bill for the job: $2,950.00(!)

One problem though...

I have to bring the car back in 'cause there's something funky going on with the engine/tranny after the replacement. My best guess is that one of the engine mounts is binding or just isn't torqued up properly. Whenver the engine rocks on its mounts (like when changing gears or starting off the line), there's a clunking noise. Again, this description of what's going on is just my guess - it could be something totally different. All I know is that the noise wasn't there prior to the removal/replacement of the tranny. We'll see what's up.

My dealer has been great and represents Toyota well, but this is getting to be a bit of a pain. I'll keep ya'll posted...
Is this charge covered by the warranty...??? I would think it is, if not, you were not so willing to give the dealer a second chance!
Yaris-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #29
Goose
Car Geek

Okay... problem solved

Just got back from the dealer. No big deal.

Neither the technician nor I could figure out why, but the problem was the manifold/a-pipe joint. Even though the engine had not been dropped from the car, this joint somehow got misaligned. The result was a squeak/clunk as the engine/tranny rocked on its mounts. A simple remove/replace and all is well. Took about fifteen minutes.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - the $2,950.00 charge was paid by Toyota (warranty). My dealer was just letting me know how much they (Toyota) were eating on this one (at least the retail price). My dealer told me that Toyota actually air-freighted a transmission from Japan(!) Very impressed by this level of service.

You guys already know this, but Toyota is a quality company!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #30
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Toyota is a quality company!
INDEED!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #31
foober

Quote:
Just got back from the dealer. No big deal.

Neither the technician nor I could figure out why, but the problem was the manifold/a-pipe joint. Even though the engine had not been dropped from the car, this joint somehow got misaligned. The result was a squeak/clunk as the engine/tranny rocked on its mounts. A simple remove/replace and all is well. Took about fifteen minutes.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - the $2,950.00 charge was paid by Toyota (warranty). My dealer was just letting me know how much they (Toyota) were eating on this one (at least the retail price). My dealer told me that Toyota actually air-freighted a transmission from Japan(!) Very impressed by this level of service.

You guys already know this, but Toyota is a quality company!

Sounds like you should come out of this okay. The good thing is if you have any trouble from here on they should be held very responsible. What a pain. But it was smart of you to go in right when you saw a problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #32
entreri_21

Drives: '07 Silver Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar
INDEED!
Exactly!! I had a 94 Celica that had 80k on it when I bought it. I put another 90k on it for a total of 170k miles, and the only problem I ever had was a minor oil leak that cost me $50 to fix.

My Nissan Sentra SE-R had over 10 problems that needed fixing for over $3000 worth of repairs, all within 70k of me buying it. REDICULOUS!!!

I'm staying with Toyota from now on. I've learned my lesson about Nissan.....
entreri_21 is offline   Reply With Quote