Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
rbowman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
Those cars are fugly.
Honestly the Nissan is kinda cool if it was 3 door and the Honda I would like more if it was 3 door. Being 5 door they just look silly to me. I really don't even know why our cars come with a back seat. The hatch is a place to load up stuff for me not people.
The first thing I did was fold the back seat down, and it'll stay that way barring unforeseen circumstances. For me, a car is a sort of overgrown motorcycle with a heater and a lot more cargo capacity.
rbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbowman View Post
The first thing I did was fold the back seat down, and it'll stay that way barring unforeseen circumstances. For me, a car is a sort of overgrown motorcycle with a heater and a lot more cargo capacity.

well, I have been considering stripping mine like nimble but I have yet to go that far, My headrest and rear deck board have been in the closet for weeks, I like being able to see out the back window and drop that seat down at moment
Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
We didn't consider the Nissan Versa. We had a 2003 Nissan Sentra with the QG18DE 1.8L L4 that leaked coolant (probably from day one). Had the head gasket replaced under warranty, it started leaking coolant again shortly thereafter. There are plenty of used oil analysis onhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com that show the engine has problems. Based on that experience no more Nissan for me (at least for now). The optional QR25 didn't fare much better (piston ring problems, head gaskets etc). I think that the engine in the Versa is fairly new and I don't feel like being a guinea pig, regardless if it's under warranty or not.

We test drove the Fit, handling was stiffer than the Yaris, but the ride was also rougher. A wide-open fuel filler door seemed a little old-fashioned. The doors felt cheap, as did the door handles. Interior space, like most others have said, is amazing. I did not like how the automatic transmission shifted, very clunky/jerky at times. Maybe it was just the test drive car? I also was unable to find any information on either the engine or transmission.

We decided on the Yaris Sedan. The 1NZFE engine has been around forever, I've not read too many bad things about it (crankshaft position sensor failure on the earlier engines, at least there's no trend of head gasket failures). Also no real bad trends for the transmission (I'm assuming the U340 transaxle is the same one used in the Echo).
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #22
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
MY SISTER BOUGHT THE VERSA SEDAN automatic with the keyless entry crap.

Here are the up(s):
Engine is extremely quiet and IMO smooth transition in automatic.
trunk is huge
Here are the downssszzzz:
Car is ugly
Not worth its price in te high 16,000 (even a mazda 3 looks better)
the rims are fugly for its price
car is ugly again
UGLY
I just think its worthless having a keyless entry if it has no remote start..
the car is ugly

Those are reviews..i've driven it many times...engine is nice n quiet..thats bout it.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #23
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
The fit IMO like many other FIT haters or professional reviewers...it looks like a mini van.
I don't dig vans...im a man. sedan or 2 door.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #24
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Like many here I also compared Fit and Versa, and chose Yaris primarily for price and styling.

I did see my first Versa on the road today--actually being pulled OFF the road by police officer who flew out of his hiding place right in front of me to bag him. It is a quick little thing...I am soooo glad I did not give chase. But I agree with those who say it looks fugly from every angle.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
thomasward00

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Not only do i like my yaris better than a Fit, take this into consideration. The Fit is made in Thailand, the Versa in Mexico? I'll take japanese built over those two any day. I don't want a car built by cheap slave labor.
thomasward00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #26
OtownYaris

Drives: Meteorite Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to OtownYaris Send a message via Yahoo to OtownYaris
I test drove the Yaris and the Fit and I liked the Fit more in every way except looks. But at $3000+ more in price and lower MPG I had to go with the Yaris. Also, Hondas are always getting stolen here in Orlando. If the cost of living wasn't so high here, I would have bought the Fit.
OtownYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I checked out the Fit and Yaris only....why waste time looking at any and all Korean jobs? Low quality, low MPG, bigger engines with LESS power, lower resale value, see what I mean? Why waste time even considering the Nissan Versa (Renault)?

So it came down to H & T.

For me it was about MPG, and Cost. That simple. I don't give a rat's a$$ about a car's looks, power, room, because all I wanted was a get to work car. I have nothing against the Fit and think the world of it but it lost out to the Yaris in regards to purchase price and MPG.

So for $13,100 + shipping and sales tax, I got the 2007 Yaris LB, and I'm happy. So is my retirement $ plans....leave the multi-thousand $$ mods, and extras to those that will have nothing come age 60...hehehe..I'd rather invest in condo rentals then cars...
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #28
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
I wasn't even looking for a new car... saw the Yaris on a tv commercial, fell in love with the liftback... checked it out on the toyota.com website... fell even more in love with the price... aggravated everyone around me constantly talking about the Yaris until the hubby told me to just go buy it.

The only reason I even did a test drive was the salesman almost insisted on it, and I drove the sedan because they didn't have a liftback in stock. Ordered it that day, took 3 weeks to come in.

Fit & Versa have too many doors (5) and are fugly; and whichever other one that has 3 doors (Kia? Hyundai?) not a brand I would buy--heard too many bad things about them.
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #29
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
I didnt drive the fit and I and kinda kicking myself in the but because when I drove one the other day I reall liked it. the interior is alot nice and the seats are way better the yaris does have that go kart feel to it which is nice. I would never even consider the versa just plain ugly and doesnt have any sort of sport feel to it.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #30
yariphilia

Drives: 08 lb
lol, i actually kinda like my versa, but for me its getting 30mpg versus 42mpg in my yaris that keeps me driving it... that and my yaris is manual. the versa rides like a larger car, much smoother than my yaris was stock. as for the fit, i like them a lot. actually tried trading in my versa for one.
yariphilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #31
Gr8ful_Ken

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door
When I first started researching to purchase a new car, i read several places about inconsistent build quality in the Versa, and then noticed that my local area was flooded with used Versas with 15k or less on them, not a good sign.

I drove the Yaris, the Fit, and the Kia Soul (I liked the looks of it, but was really looking for better mileage than that, and the clutch felt like a sponge).

I liked the exterior of the Yaris, and interior of The Fit. The fit was probably more fun to drive, but that exterior is absolutely awful.

So it came down to price... Yaris was cheaper. Then, 0% financing made it a no-brainer.