Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #19
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
In extreme front-crash situations, the defective seatbelt unit could cause a foam pad to ignite.
I'd say that "in extreme front-crash situations" the ignited foam pad is the least of my problems... but that's just me...
Old 05-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #20
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
The defective throttle parts are made by CTS a US parts company. Its a FACT that North American cars are NOT assembled/built as well as European/Japanese cars, nor do they on the whole have the same quality/reliability in like for like comparisons.

The member saying they know more than the rest of the automotive world on this issue is sadly, deluded, at best.

The recall over the seatbelt issue was brought up by a couple of cases, wasnt as serious as other models' recalls and as almost every single vehicle on the planet has a recall of some kind is the last of Toyotas worries. Vehicle control issues and wayward spare wheels are of some concern to Toyota and the buying (or not now) public. As the other member says, in a moderate front end crash, a small chance of a little fire from the foam under the seat is not exactly going through your mind at the time....
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgell View Post
and as almost every single vehicle on the planet has a recall of some kind is the last of Toyotas worries.:
exactly, yet the fallacy that japanese made vehicles dont get subjected to recalls still exists....its usually a fantasy that people who bought cars made in japan like to indulge in.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
Quote:
exactly, yet the fallacy that japanese made vehicles dont get subjected to recalls still exists....its usually a fantasy that people who bought cars made in japan like to indulge in.
ALL vehicles will get recalls, owners just need a sense of reality over the serious (accelerator/brakes etc) against the very small possibility under highly unlikely and unusual situations....(seatbelt sound foam ignition)!!!

Nothing can be tested for every eventuality, but the problem I dont feel is the issue of a recall perse but the likelyhood of it happening and the quality of the parts used in the first place.

Make no mistake the recent mammoth amount of recalls is somewhat unprecedented and HAS left Toyota with a LOT of bridge building to do to regain confidence in the marketplace.

We are lucky, the Yaris appears the best built vehicle in the current Toyota lineup! Maybe it being built in Japan is a coincidence??!!
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgell View Post
The defective throttle parts are made by CTS a US parts company. Its a FACT that North American cars are NOT assembled/built as well as European/Japanese cars, nor do they on the whole have the same quality/reliability in like for like comparisons.

The member saying they know more than the rest of the automotive world on this issue is sadly, deluded, at best.
It's ridiculous to assert that simply because the pedal was produced in the U.S., that is the reason the vehicles were recalled. Just as it's equally ridiculous to say that the Yaris was not recalled simply because it's produced in Japan.

Please show these "facts" concering the inferior build quality of N. American produced Toyotas.

Also, I have a unique perspective on the automotive world...though I can't say a great deal about the Toyota issues, as it would not be prudent. So I should not have even opened my mouth about that.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
It's ridiculous to assert that simply because the pedal was produced in the U.S., that is the reason the vehicles were recalled. Just as it's equally ridiculous to say that the Yaris was not recalled simply because it's produced in Japan.

Please show these "facts" concering the inferior build quality of N. American produced Toyotas.
part of my point is that it is impossible to even say the japan made yaris was not recalled, because it was

several years ago, the cambridge plant in canada was producing corollas with less problems per 100 vehicles than the average of corollas made in japan. there was a big stink about why this was occurring (i was living in Japan at the time).

id just as gladly take a corolla made in canada as japan, and would gladly take a yaris made in canada if they were ever to produce them there.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
part of my point is that it is impossible to even say the japan made yaris was not recalled, because it was

several years ago, the cambridge plant in canada was producing corollas with less problems per 100 vehicles than the average of corollas made in japan. there was a big stink about why this was occurring (i was living in Japan at the time).

id just as gladly take a corolla made in canada as japan, and would gladly take a yaris made in canada if they were ever to produce them there.
I was referring to the pedal recall. But it sounds like we're more or less on the same page.

Last edited by Billiam; 05-07-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #26
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
As of 2013, U.S. bound cars are made in Japan and France.
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #27
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialeducator View Post
and I will take either one. in fact, when I bought my '14 yaris I knew it might be coming out of france, but I didn't bother looking where it was built til some time later. it was a non issue to me.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #28
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialeducator View Post
Just out of curiosity, has any U.S. member read a post from another member that their 2013 or 2014 Yaris was assembled in France? I have yet to see any like posts. Haven't seen any French Yari on local dealer websites either (don't search regularly).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #29
ijaen
First time Toyota owner

Drives: 2014 Yaris sedan / Vios
Mine is MR from Thailand.
ijaen is offline   Reply With Quote