Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Has anyone checked with a paint shop to see if a clearcoat can be added......

.....over the factory clearcoat to make the finish more durable? If you buy a new Yaris, maybe you can take it to a paint shop when you first get it and have them put like 10 coats of clearcoat over the factory stuff before any damage occurs. I'm not sure how much this would cost, but it seems to me even if it costs $400-$500 it would be worth it to protect the ultra-thin factory paint. Also, maybe there's some type of special clearcoat that's available that car manufacturers don't use that is far more durable. I've talked with paint guys in the past and most of them seem very knowledgeable. Might be worth a shot.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
sure it can

you are driving a rolla, I doubt the paint will be any different than what you already have
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
sure it can

you are driving a rolla, I doubt the paint will be any different than what you already have
Yeah, my 'Rolla's paint is pretty thin too, but it's also 8 years old and I'm not overly concerned about the few chips it has. I would however be concerned about the paint on a brand new Yari though.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I understand you are concerned but like I said I haven't had any issues with the paint. You could get the 3M protective installed, or clear coat.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I don't know what type of paint Toyota uses, not really qualified to answer but have heard a lot of companies have been switching to water base paints due to environmental concerns (but 'cost' is always the main concern). The urethane clearcoats have always been durable, but I can't see any cost effectiveness in repainting unless it needs it....good bodyshops are expensive, and the mediocre shops will probably do you more harm.

Paint also expands at a differant rate than metal, so the show cars can handle many coats of paint, daily drivers facing hot summer sun and frigid winters will crack and peel in no time. If you would go ahead with clearcoating, stay with one or two coats, three at the absolute most, just enough for the paint to 'flow' into a gloss covering. IMO the Yaris paint problem isn't thickness, but the durability of the coating.....it 'marks' very easily.

Edit add on: I was skeptical of everyones complaints the 1st four months I had my car....then an empty shopping cart put a 2" scratch in the cear coat, and a stick put 2 more 3" scratches in it. Cearcoat scratches appear white and show up well on black....I'll use compound and rub them out, but this wouldn't have been an issue, in these 2 instances, with urethane.

Last edited by churp; 07-18-2007 at 12:55 AM.
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
I have noticed the LB of ours have pretty thin clear coats when compare Lexus. No complain since I did not have budget to get a better car, and I never thought about getting extra coat for this car.

I am sure any bodyshop can sell you an extra coat, and it prolly won't be cheap. I remember dealer was offering for additional $1,400, and they said they will re-condition on the coating every 12 months for next five years. Of course I did not buy that.

My Yaya does not have the extra bling coat, but I love it the most among of my cars.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDoc View Post
I have noticed the LB of ours have pretty thin clear coats when compare Lexus. No complain since I did not have budget to get a better car, and I never thought about getting extra coat for this car.

I am sure any bodyshop can sell you an extra coat, and it prolly won't be cheap. I remember dealer was offering for additional $1,400, and they said they will re-condition on the coating every 12 months for next five years. Of course I did not buy that.

My Yaya does not have the extra bling coat, but I love it the most among of my cars.
There is no Clear coat on our car
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #8
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I would try a really good wax to help keep the surface slick and it will add a small level of protection from stones and keys.

There is, of course, clear coat on the paint... just not a lot... nor is there a lot of paint.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderkitten View Post
I would try a really good wax to help keep the surface slick and it will add a small level of protection from stones and keys.

There is, of course, clear coat on the paint... just not a lot... nor is there a lot of paint.
are you sure there is clear on our cars? where my paint it chipping (my whole front end) it does not look like there is a clear... but then again I am not a paint expert
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #10
grampi

I was thinking about having just the front end and hood done. That's where most of the damage would occur anyway.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I was at the Honda dealership with friends looking at the new CR-V and the cars in the showroom all had "ScotchGuard/3M" film protectors on the front ends. Looked great. I would drive the car to the closest film installer after you buy it, get it installed and then tell us how much it costs. hehe
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I was at the Honda dealership with friends looking at the new CR-V and the cars in the showroom all had "ScotchGuard/3M" film protectors on the front ends. Looked great. I would drive the car to the closest film installer after you buy it, get it installed and then tell us how much it costs. hehe
We had the 3M stuff installed on my wife's MPV when it was new. It's seems to be good stuff and it's held up well, but you can see the edges of it. It leaves a faint line where it ends. That's why I'm going to be looking into having something sprayed on. If there's a type of clearcoat protectant they can spray on, they could do the entire front end and hood and you wouldn't wouldn't even know it was on there. It would look the same as the rest on the car.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Both of my parent's BMW's came from the factory with an adhesive protective mask on the front ends, if that tells you anything.

Grampi, I'm sure you can get some kind of paint insurance. I seem to distinctly remember while in the finance office this guy pitched me this coating that apparently uber-protected the car. He sprayed it with spraypaint and wiped it off. Maybe something like that would help?

I mean, you live in Ohio man. Your paint is going to shit. If you want to protect your paint move south!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

then you'll be dodging tumbleweeds
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Really? So there is no clear coat.. lol. I thought all car should have it or at least at some minimum level.

I got my custom-wrap (not template) clearbra done by PremierMobileGroup. I had the full front hood, bumper, headlamps, fenders, and 2 doors under the films. It had cost me a good chunk of dough but I just hate to see paint-chips.

PremierMobileGroup and a sample pic:

Check out their site for their jobs on some finest cars.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #16
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Does our cars really not have a clear coat on it? Someone verify!!
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Are they suppose to have a clear coat?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
grampi

I would be shocked if the Yaris doesn't have clearcoat on it. Every car I know of built within the last 10 years or so has had clearcoat.