Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Just test drove an '09 5 door "S" model

Absolutely loved everthing about this car (including the auto tranny, and I'm a manual tranny kind of guy), except for the price. The sticker on this thing was $17.5K They must be smoking some good dope if they think I'm paying $17K for a $12K car!!!!!! I might look for a non-S model, but the model I'd get if I end up buying one is definitely the 5 door.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
You might As well get a Fit sport with navi for a grand more.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Don't pay that much for the 5 door sport. Get a base model 5 door and add your own goodies.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbauer View Post
You might As well get a Fit sport with navi for a grand more.
The Fit Sport is a grand more than $17.5? Who the hell is paying these ridiculously high prices for the supposedly "economy" cars? Economy cars are not only supposed to be inexpensive to operate, but they're also supposed to be inexpensive to purchase. These cars are way overpriced!
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
jh3cuemd

Drives: NOT REGISTERED
Wow

I think that amount is way too high for this car. I bough mine for US$15370 and tought that was expensive, but over US$17000 I will definitively buy a Mitsubishi Lancer or a Toyota Corolla. I suggest you to buy a non "S" model, because itīs overpriced, and I donīt even like the kit they add to it.
jh3cuemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Look: There are people out there who want a "premium" subcompact car. Some people want navigation, all the gadgets, and the body kit in small car and are willing to pay for it. (e.g. big-car features in a small vehicle) Look at MINI: This is a brand that does nothing but premium subcompacts. Even when not in S-model trim, they start at over $18,000. Yes, it's built by BMW, and so on, but so what: When you get down to brass tacks, it's a small, fuel-efficient car.

You can get a Yaris for a lot less than $17K—maybe not a fully loaded S model—but a Yaris nonetheless. Heck, a non-S five door starts at $13,305 MSRP.

Fits can be had for less than $17K, too. Base MSRP is $14,550. No, you can't get the navigation, but guess what? Buy a Garmin and save a grand. Do I think $17K is expensive for a subcmopact? Sure. Would I pay nearly $18,000 for a Fit sport with navi? Nope, but that's not what I'm looking for in a vehicle. If, however, I was looking for a fully loaded small car (key word) with all the bells and whistles, then yes, I'd look into it. I'd also look at the Mini. (If I were going to spend $18K, I'd probably get a Mazda5 or a Suzuki SX4 and bank the rest for gas, but that's just me)

Cars keep going up in price, which is no surprise. The avg. cost of a new vehicle in the U.S. is $28,400. The least expensive car in the U.S. is over $10,000 now (Aveo).

Anyway, yes, small car prices have gone up, but there are still alternatives. You might not get the fully optioned version for $14K, but you'll still get a darn good car.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Nobody's making you buy the highest end model. You can buy the base for much much cheaper, but some people (myself included, I bought an S) want a top of the line subcompact. It gets great mileage and I think it looks pretty good from the factory. If you don't like the S kit, then don't buy the S. But don't rag on people that actually like it and are willing to spend for a top of the line model subcompact over an almost base compact. I'll take the bells and whistles in a smaller package over a ho-hum slightly larger one for the same price.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
Absolutely loved everthing about this car (including the auto tranny, and I'm a manual tranny kind of guy), except for the price. The sticker on this thing was $17.5K They must be smoking some good dope if they think I'm paying $17K for a $12K car!!!!!! I might look for a non-S model, but the model I'd get if I end up buying one is definitely the 5 door.
The Yaris is a nice, sub-$14.5K car (assuming it's reasonably well equipped).

Anything above that seems unreasonable to me, though I guess others might have different opinions.

I could buy a brand new Altima for less than $18,000 and that's a lot more car than any Yaris, IMHO: http://content.quirkcars.com/newspaper/n10-19g.jpg
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
GM has a couple to like the Cobalt and Aveo, Nissan has the Versa, Hyduai and Kia respectfully of theirs, Susuki and others all offer expensive upgrades that can turn a econo into the price of a base midsize but, for a base econo the Yaris seems to be the best atleast for us in the U.S. I got mine at $12,900 and was trading in a SUV that wasn't fully paid off but I still got out at less then $17K and I've been making up difference through the mpg difference.
Anyway why do you want an 09? There should be some good deals out there for 08's. Just a thought. Unless you need the 5 door. On that hand, like others have mentioned, get a base with what you need. Also go into your dealer with edmunds TMV Price and have them match it.
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc87 View Post
Anyway why do you want an 09? There should be some good deals out there for 08's.
All 09 Yarisis come standard with ABS, electronic brake force distribution and 6 airbags:

http://jalopnik.com/5041582/2009-toy...that-geo-metro

I think those are very important changes in a car of this size.

Leftover 08 Yarisis are hard to come by. They're also not the "deal" they might seem to be, since '08 cars have already suffered 1 model year's worth of depreciation - even if they're still new.
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
All 09 Yarisis come standard with ABS, electronic brake force distribution and 6 airbags:

http://jalopnik.com/5041582/2009-toy...that-geo-metro

I think those are very important changes in a car of this size.

Leftover 08 Yarisis are hard to come by. They're also not the "deal" they might seem to be, since '08 cars have already suffered 1 model year's worth of depreciation - even if they're still new.
All 09 yarises come with those things standard now, but that's why the price is increased. You could get all those things as add-on options in the 08. So either way, you're paying for it. It's not like the safety standard things are just getting handed out to you. Also, some users on here will argue as to the efficacy of abs, and prefer to not have it on the car. I get your point on the depreciation though. Doesn't really apply to many of us as we plan on driving these cars into the ground.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
you can get in a '09 base COROLLA , VIBE , SCION XB , or XD for at $1,700 less than a $17,500 5 door hatchback YARIS and even get more features such 4 wheel disc brakes , telescopic steering wheel , active head restraints , Vehicle Stability Control ( w/ Traction Control ) , and more space . Probably get 3-5 miles per gallon less than the automatic YARIS depending on vehicle . We spoke to women with an automatic special edition SCION XD and claimed to be getting 33 miles per gallon around town , not to shabby .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
you can get in a '09 base COROLLA , VIBE , SCION XB , or XD for at $1,700 less than a $17,500 5 door hatchback YARIS and even get more features such 4 wheel disc brakes , telescopic steering wheel , active head restraints , Vehicle Stability Control ( w/ Traction Control ) , and more space . Probably get 3-5 miles per gallon less than the automatic YARIS depending on vehicle . We spoke to women with an automatic special edition SCION XD and claimed to be getting 33 miles per gallon around town , not to shabby .
+1
alot of peoples are worry about the gas, but not anymore, so no need to spend ridiculous money on these overprice yaris and fit. Get the basic and add your goodies.
My friend got an 09 XD and i'm telling you he speeding all the time and still get around 30-34 mpg
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
these gas prices won't last forever , O.P.E.C. plans to cut production and once spring rolls around back to reality . Plus if a confrontation with IRAN or any other crisis occurs , todays $2.60 gas is double . So , what we do today ( speeding , traveling more, buying larger vehicles ) has repercussions to all around the globe with economics , food , etc.. This is partly why we suffer today , high fuel prices put a pinch on all , from JOE PLUMBER to the big wigs of corporations ( no more $400,000 vacations ) , poor basterds . So , put tomorrow before today , for tommorow may never arrive , due to today's actions by all .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 AM   #15
jeremiasz
Yaris FTW!!

Drives: '09 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
All 09 yarises come with those things standard now, but that's why the price is increased. You could get all those things as add-on options in the 08. So either way, you're paying for it. It's not like the safety standard things are just getting handed out to you. Also, some users on here will argue as to the efficacy of abs, and prefer to not have it on the car. I get your point on the depreciation though. Doesn't really apply to many of us as we plan on driving these cars into the ground.
Actually, according to a dealer I spoke with, before I bought my '09, there was no after-market option for side/curtain airbags and that they were strictly installed through the factory only. Otherwise, I would have tried for an '08 or '07.

As far as depreciation goes, I'm not seeing much. Just looking in the Milwaukee area, you've got 15 Yaris models within 30 miles, ranging from an '07 manual trans LB at $11,995 (26,572 mi) and an '07 automatic sedan at $17,550 (26,110 mi). Source cars.com
jeremiasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #16
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
My dealer gave me $12500 for the 3-door '07 LB I traded in.

The '09S looks decent. The black fog light shrouds make it look like a Kia car I've seen around (I think the Rio has similar shrouds). The $19k they wanted for the polar white '09 5-door S they had though was too much.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:23 AM   #17
thatboyjer

Drives: 5spd 2007 Yaris LB
12000 OTD! Bone-stock, but well WELL worth it.

[Debadged] [Tanabe DF210] [Limo Tint][17" Fondmetal Wheels] [Pioneer HU]
--:: Wishlist, PM me ::--
[SSK (WTB)] [Black Sand Pearl Eyelids (WTB)]
thatboyjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #18
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Personally I hope the price of the Yaris keeps going up and out of the economy range. Then Toyota might bring the Aego here. LOL!
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote