Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2022, 01:27 AM   #1
Tommytt22

Drives: 2006 yaris
2zr-fe swap without scion xd

Hi there, first post

There are some great swap threads on here about putting a 2zrfe into a second gen yaris, only problem is they all draw heavily from the scion xd parts bin, I don't have access to that as I live in Australia. Everything I'd be using would have to come from a Toyota corolla.

Mighty car mods did a fairly informative video on this but I had 2 specific questions that they didn't really cover:

1. All corolla ecus came with an immobiliser from what I understand, is it possible to turn this off/remove the ecu pin/ swap to a corolla key barrel. This is a daily driven car so I don't want to have hassles trying to keep 2 coded keys around just to turn it on

2. Is the 2nz-fe aircon compressor the same as one out of a 2zr-fe? Mighty car mods just deleted aircon but it's no good on a daily car, if I can keep it I'll just disconnect from my engine so it doesn't need to be de gassed

Thankyou!
Tommytt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:47 AM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
1. You will need to repin the ECU plug and register it to the Yaris immobiliser. I believe the immobiliser can differ between early and late model zre152 corollas. I know my 2012 model was different to my mates 2009 model. Unfortunately I don't know which ECU can actually be registered with a second gen. I do know that I managed to register a 2012 ECU to my third gen even though the ECU was ultimately incompatible with the body, abs and dash modules.

2. The compressor is different. You need to use the Corolla compressor. The Yaris one will not bolt to the 2zr. Your ac lines can be persuaded to fit the Corolla compressor.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
Tommytt22

Thanks for the help! might have to do a bit more research on ecu compatability. I'm terrible with loom and ecu stuff but i am an electrician so i really should sit down and figure it all out.
A trip to the wreckers i can probably pick up a few corolla ecus to check the difference
Old 04-23-2022, 12:28 AM   #4
stidnam

It all comes down to the type of encryption used. Toyota used G-Chips in the late 2000s, which was an 80 bit encryption standard and then moved to H-chip in the generation that followed, which uses 128bit.

I would nearly put money on a 2007 - 2009 Corolla ECU pairing with a Yaris immobiliser. Worst case scenario is that you'd be putting a Corolla immobiliser into the Yaris as well and getting some key made up to match. Not ideal though as you have to pull out the dash to get to the immobiliser unit. The easiest way is if you can get a Corolla ECU and test pairing it to a Yaris body.

I went to great lengths to test this stuff before I embarked on my conversion. I purchased 3 written off vehicles just to test on - a 2012 Corolla, 2014 Corolla and a third gen Yaris.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:32 AM   #5
stidnam

I also want to point out that the only reports I've seen of pairing 2zr ecus have all been done on third gen Yaris using 2013+ ecus. So you are going to want to find some way of testing this before committing.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #6
Tommytt22

Okay that doesn't sound too daunting, I have 2 cars and I'd only attempt this once the other one is running so I'm not in a tough spot if it takes a few weeks. From what I've seen the 06-13 corollas are compatible with the 06-11 yaris body and work with the cluster etc. They just require the corolla key near the barrel to start it