Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #55
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
look at my E85 motor build II thread..full exhaust system...i give good solid 10hp..stage 1 ecu gain about 20-30hp..i went the cheap way ;)

need forged pistons and rods for more hp gain by tuning..
they have JUN Cams bolt on without stock ecu, give you solid 20-30 hp...pricey...also have JUN Cams that must be tuned..

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #56
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Does a piggyback ecu also tune for closed loop? My understanding is that the piggyback will only tune for open loop (wot acceleration). So how would one "tune" for aftermarket cams?

Does the stock ecu not re learn and over ride the piggyback under closed loop conditions?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #57
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Does a piggyback ecu also tune for closed loop? My understanding is that the piggyback will only tune for open loop (wot acceleration). So how would one "tune" for aftermarket cams?

Does the stock ecu not re learn and over ride the piggyback under closed loop conditions?
your asking me some hardcore question..there is different types, its up to you to decide how you want it done...
advance timing flex fuel or race fuel tuning which what i did..you can use larger injectors and over spray them and tune them..stage 1: external parts..full exhaust, intake, pulleys, spark plugs etc..
you can get internal parts and tune them...stage 2: cams, pistons, rods...you can get the most expensive ecu and program the whole thing and go turbo...

just dont buy one of those acceleration boot leg ecu where you plug into OBD2 and thinking your going fast...

Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #58
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Definitely not going to route of an ebay "chip" i'm wondering more from the perspective of a camcon piggyback ecu.

I'm just curious as to how you are all "tuning" the Yaris stock ecu since tey are at this point impossible to re map. I understand how you could do that with a standalone, but other than that I don't understand how it is done.

A piggyback ecu is very limited in what it can do so I didn't think you could tune for cams and other serious stuff with a piggyback
Old 02-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #59
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I might be wrong, but I don't think the Yaris was ever really designed with Ethanol in mind.
If it was, Toyota would have probably used the higher-compression Prius pistons in the Yaris engines, leaving the option of an E85 upgrade, later down the road.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:14 AM   #60
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I might be wrong, but I don't think the Yaris was ever really designed with Ethanol in mind.
If it was, Toyota would have probably used the higher-compression Prius pistons in the Yaris engines, leaving the option of an E85 upgrade, later down the road.
check out my thread "E85 Motor Build II" at Performance section, just posted up few days ago...you can leave me questions there..

Old 02-02-2016, 01:16 AM   #61
rabbito

Quote:
Definitely not going to route of an ebay "chip" i'm wondering more from the perspective of a camcon piggyback ecu.

I'm just curious as to how you are all "tuning" the Yaris stock ecu since tey are at this point impossible to re map. I understand how you could do that with a standalone, but other than that I don't understand how it is done.

A piggyback ecu is very limited in what it can do so I didn't think you could tune for cams and other serious stuff with a piggyback
piggy back is limited? yes..depends on how much money you can spend...like i said, i went the cheapest way possible by advance timing with higher octane fuel and bigger injectors..
you can check out the post "E85 Motor Build II" on Performance modification section..

Old 02-09-2016, 04:26 AM   #62
rabbito

Quote:

piggybacks are limited...im doing cheap modification trying to gain most hp with limited amount of money...

Old 07-04-2022, 01:30 AM   #63
Joshuafarwel
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
You can add ignition timing by using a larger maf housing to lower calculated load, and install larger injectors to compensate for the lesser fuel being injected. If you let the ecu correct fueling itself it adds load back not just fuel trim.
If you lower the maf readings by 30% you'll end up with like 4° more timing advance which will add power if you have the octane for it.
Joshuafarwel is offline   Reply With Quote