Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Talking ABS BRAKE light FIX sedan

I had the yellow ABS light and the red BRAKE light illuminated 24/7. My procedure fixed this on the first try, and it took two drive cycles for the lights to resolve. The job takes about an hour. My connectors were visibly crusty and this was my procedure for my 2007 Yaris sedan:

1. Remove rear wheels

2. Spray ABS connector liberally with brake clean

3. Insert screwdriver at the base of the connector, really close to the hub, and pry the connector off (maybe there is a proper way to take it off, search any replies) it will give and the connector will pop off, always one male end on the hub with one female end loose and connected to the wires (with a plastic cover/shroud that may come loose, appears to just latch back together, similar to a plastic Easter egg, but when my rear right didn't clasp back together I ignored it, it appears to just be a shield)

4. Spray inside the male and female ends of the connector liberally with brake clean, focusing on where the pins go but also cleaning the whole connector

5. Applied supertech multi-complex grease (red n tacky) to whole female connector. Smeared a massive glob on the whole connector that is attached to the wires (female end)

6. Press connector back together as far as possible, pressing firm multiple times

7. Reinstall wheel and torque lug nuts

8. Complete. Relax and do two drive cycles

I hope this helps. I couldn't find any information about this procedure and this solved those two lights on my dash that were preventing a safety inspection pass. My brake light now illuminates properly, only when I apply the hand brake. God bless and have a wonderful day

Keywords: clean, rear, wheel speed sensor, dielectric, contact
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
YarisMN
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Ya, driving in MN slush last week, ABS and Brake light came on for my 2007 sedan. I thought I had been driving with E brake lightly engaged (has happened by accident, oops).

Took back wheels off, located the sensor, but I couldn't get the connector off without fear of breaking it. Brittle plastic tabs in the cold... The "eggshell" shroud that clips around it did come off, and I was able to stick the contact cleaner straw in the little gap between connector and housing, sprayed it good, wiggled it a few times. Then some WD-40 like other posts mention. Fixed my problem after driving down the street, it's been a week since.
YarisMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Yeah - I had this with mine. Packed the connector with grease and it went away. I thought one of my wheel speed sensors had failed at one point because it got quite bad and the sensor would drop out completely.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:37 AM   #4
Reklaw-79

Drives: Yaris TR
I’m having trouble with my left rear sensor, I did buy a new hub yesterday just to rule it out but when I plugged the sensor into the new hub before I commit to fitting it the fault came back however my plug looks relatively clean
Reklaw-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
If you clean the inside of the connector and already applied grease then I'd start diagnosis with a multimeter. I dont remember if the wiring colors stay the same through both sides of the connector. But if so, just check for continuity through the connector(ohms). If the connector is reading good then you'll have to diagnose why the signal isn't getting to the computer, or if the signal is bad like static. You could try to clean the abs sensor itself or if you have a friend with an oscilloscope you can look at the wheel speed signal while rolling the wheel/hub
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, clean, fix, light, wheel speed sensor