Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
Appreciate the honesty lol. I really don't want to buy a new head unit though. =/

Emerge, any update on this?

OT: I'm loving this Eeepad, have you rooted or OC'd your TF tablet yet? I'm thinking about doing mine.

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Rooted and OCed mine. OC is absolutely necessary to play Hulu..well root too. But in the end, i need more of a laptop than what even the docked form can provide. Afterall its still weaker than a netbook. Plus theres an update to the eepad coming very very soon with the new processor.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Drives: 2003 Echo Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
Emerge, any update on this?

OT: I'm loving this Eeepad, have you rooted or OC'd your TF tablet yet? I'm thinking about doing mine.
Saving money for it, I still also need to find a way to keep it charging while it is in use.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerge View Post
Saving money for it, I still also need to find a way to keep it charging while it is in use.
In-car charging is actually pretty simple. The TF expects to see 12v before it starts to charge over USB (unlike other devices that works fine with 5v), so I would just modify the internals of this to supply the 12v directly to the USB pin 1 & 4 (pref fused at 1.5A):

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
In-car charging is actually pretty simple. The TF expects to see 12v before it starts to charge over USB (unlike other devices that works fine with 5v), so I would just modify the internals of this to supply the 12v directly to the USB pin 1 & 4 (pref fused at 1.5A):

-toy
I wouldn't recommend that. USB spec is 5v period. If his pad charges through the USB port then it charges using 5v not 12v.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
toy_toronto
always toyin'

^ It's already been researched and proven to work. I have already built my own DIY home adapter for my Eee Pad and works flawless.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1087321

-toy

Old 08-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #25
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

I'm going to best buy today to look at some stuff. Wish me luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #26
ezhacker1

update?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #27
Altitude

Just picked up an Acer A100 Iconia 7" tablet (Honeycomb 3.2!). Over the next several months I'll be working on getting it installed and writing some custom SW to work with my bluetooth OBDII unit (which means I'll be selling my ScanGaugeII, Ultragauge and possibly my HU.)

The size of this tablet is almost a perfect fit for the OEM radio bezel. Hopefully I can work out an installation that looks super clean. It doesn't have cellular capability (I think the A101 does) but I think I can use my android phone and tether it when needed. Does have GPS, BT and WiFi so all that's good. Not sure if the USB port supports hosting, but I think the dock connector will so I might have to buy a dock and cannibalize it for the port connector.

Should be an interesting project and I think this is a better solution (less hassle and less cost) than a carputer which is something I always wanted to install but never had the time.

Last edited by Altitude; 09-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yep, the advent of (relatively) cheap, powerful tablets is going to make some big changes to in-car entertainment, that's for sure!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #29
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Just picked up an Acer A100 Iconia 7" tablet (Honeycomb 3.2!). Over the next several months I'll be working on getting it installed and writing some custom SW to work with my bluetooth OBDII unit (which means I'll be selling my ScanGaugeII, Ultragauge and possibly my HU.)
I just got a used Nook Color, its perfect with it's IPS screen, sure I could have gotten a real tablet but at $185, how could I say no. Doesn't have gps on board but externals are usually faster at refreshing.

Definitely interested in what oBd stuff you'll do, better than Torque?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I pretty much scrubbed my earlier attempt at a carpc, and am looking forward to getting a Nook very soon as well. At $180ish it's too good a price to pass up. Heck, at that price it could almost be worth it to get a couple more for the rear seats (if I still had any )
Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #31
Emerge
On a trek to upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
update?
Found a decent solution for in car charging. Next step is deciding where the eff I am going to put this damn thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
if I had the fabrication skills, I would get the blank 2-DIN plastic plate that the base models came with instead of a radio, and make some brackets that directly attach to that.

Which tablet did you buy? You should check if there is a desktop dock available for it, that would make for a good base, and keep the tablet easily removable, all you would need is a spring loaded clamp to hold it in place at the top.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #33
Altitude

Looks like finding the right amp is going to be the challenge. Been looking for a *small* 5 channel and they are hard to find. Something along the lines of the pic that Emerge has in one post only with the addition of a sub/5th channel.

Everything I see is huge wattage and for show. I don't care what it looks like. I don't need huge wattage either. I want to hide it, preferably behind the dash.

Emerge - Where did you get that pic of the tiny amp? I tried to search for it using the brand and model number on the unit and can't find it.

Test Fit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0335.jpg (97.2 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0337.jpg (102.9 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by Altitude; 09-10-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #34
ezhacker1

nice work, get nook in soon

Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #35
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
That fits quite nicely!

Altitude, look on eBay. There are a TON of small 2-channel, low power amps out there. They are usually $20-30. I personally have 2 tiny old-school Blaupunkt amps (2x25W) that I always used for my tweeters. I can't remember the site I found that had a ton of them. But here is an example of one I use to own:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FFyk0Ps...kt-PA2100.html

Also remember, there is room under the passenger seat for an amp!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #36
Altitude

Thanks Lil Abner. Thing is, I already have an amp under the passenger seat for the SW. I think what I'll probably do is get a single DIN HU that has the outputs I need and also has an AUX input so I can hook the tablet up to it. There's room to stash the HU behind the tablet, just need to tie it down.