Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2020, 07:17 AM   #37
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
MCM's new episode is up. I messaged them on their Facebook page asking them if they'd be kind enough to mention my build and give Yarisworld a pump since I'd be hard pressed to believe that they were unaware of all the work and research that's gone on on this site. They appear to be ignoring me. Am I expecting too much? Am I acting like a cry baby here? Would simply recognizing other peoples' contributions be too threatening? Help me out here guys. Give me some perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6D9pB5Ig9Q
It is indeed difficult to get in touch, but they do drop in the facebook group on occasion. I did drop several messages about YW and some of the awesome projects here, after they introduced the car...

Anyway, with so many fans, can't be easy to keep up with all messages, I don't take it personally!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #38
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Ah Sam. You are wise indeed. What you say makes perfect sense to me. What are "DMs"? Sorry for my ignorance.
I'm not so sure about wise, I just learn a lot of things the hard way. =)

It's kidspeak for Direct Messaging. I think there's a distinction in younger generations between instant messaging (IM) as we knew it and DM because things like Twitter and Instagram are both instant messaging but are broadcast to a public audience, whereas something like FB Messenger or your phone number would be private and therefore "direct" to the recipient. Messenger clients on a public page can get billions of hits from bots or spammers so they probably filter a lot of it out.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #39
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
It is indeed difficult to get in touch, but they do drop in the facebook group on occasion. I did drop several messages about YW and some of the awesome projects here, after they introduced the car...

Anyway, with so many fans, can't be easy to keep up with all messages, I don't take it personally!
Sounds like you have a very good perspective on this.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:48 PM   #40
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I'm not so sure about wise, I just learn a lot of things the hard way. =)

It's kidspeak for Direct Messaging. I think there's a distinction in younger generations between instant messaging (IM) as we knew it and DM because things like Twitter and Instagram are both instant messaging but are broadcast to a public audience, whereas something like FB Messenger or your phone number would be private and therefore "direct" to the recipient. Messenger clients on a public page can get billions of hits from bots or spammers so they probably filter a lot of it out.
Thanks for the info. I am woefully lacking in my current understanding of all this stuff.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 02-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #41
06YarisRS

Quote:
I agree that it would be "right" for them to at least give credit for any info they got here, but that's the academic in me. =)

I look at their subscriber count on YT (3M+) and assume that they either have someone else to monitor/screen it or just ignore it entirely. You'd basically have to have their DMs to even show up on their radar. I don't think they'd ignore you out of spite, it's just that the signal to noise ratio on something like that is really poor (i.e. lots of noise).
Speaking of "noise", for fun I took a few minutes and read some of the replies. I think I may have gotten your point now. A huge percentage of them are people commenting on either duct tape or the fact that a box moved by itself. Seemingly much less interest in the substance of the video as opposed to tidbits of 'humour' or "easter eggs'. Kind of a shame but I guess if that's what the people want, so be it. I never really scrutinized comments in videos before as I guess my interest laid in the content. That's what I like about places like Yarisworld...more pointed discussion/focus and less "noise". It seems that to appeal to a broader audience, and get the subscribers, 'style over substance' seems to be the approach. Don't get me wrong, they have the content, but by adding the 'style', what they gain in subscribers, they lose in depth or at least in the ability to engage in any deeper conversation about the topic. Or, they get the best of both worlds. I am truly naive when it comes to these things. I can be a little slow on the uptake at times, but think that's why some here have expressed that Youtube or Facebook don't hold the appeal when compared to forums, for example.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-01-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #42
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Speaking of "noise", for fun I took a few minutes and read some of the replies. I think I may have gotten your point now. A huge percentage of them are people commenting on either duct tape or the fact that a box moved by itself. Seemingly much less interest in the substance of the video as opposed to tidbits of 'humour' or "easter eggs'. Kind of a shame but I guess if that's what the people want, so be it. I never really scrutinized comments in videos before as I guess my interest laid in the content. That's what I like about places like Yarisworld...more pointed discussion/focus and less "noise". It seems that to appeal to a broader audience, and get the subscribers, 'style over substance' seems to be the approach. Don't get me wrong, they have the content, but by adding the 'style', what they gain in subscribers, they lose in depth or at least in the ability to engage in any deeper conversation about the topic. Or, they get the best of both worlds. I am truly naive when it comes to these things. I can be a little slow on the uptake at times, but think that's why some here have expressed that Youtube or Facebook don't hold the appeal when compared to forums, for example.
You could try to join their facebook group, while there's also some nonsense there, there are some more technical discussions compared to youtube comments. There's some questions when you try to join, based on the cars they have done on the show, if you are stuck, I could try to help :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-02-2020, 04:11 AM   #43
benoityip

Drives: Corolla 1.8
Mightly car mods yaris 1.8 2zr turbo

https://youtu.be/M0EBnnleQWc

https://youtu.be/j6D9pB5Ig9Q
benoityip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #44
benoityip

New episode 138kw at the wheels (stock is 70kw)
https://youtu.be/K4UQsAe9-E4
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #45
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoityip View Post
New episode 138kw at the wheels (stock is 70kw)
https://youtu.be/K4UQsAe9-E4
Damnit, you ruined the surprise :P
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #46
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

200hp, not too bad, but looks like they were playing it safe... Which, judging by the after-credits scene, failed miserably!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #47
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
It didn't sound healthy.

They kept mentioning the $169 turbo, but never mentioned the cost of the Haltech ECU.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:32 AM   #48
stidnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
It didn't sound healthy.

They kept mentioning the $169 turbo, but never mentioned the cost of the Haltech ECU.
lol that it did not. I wonder if they found the limit of a 2zr :)
Old 02-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #49
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
lol that it did not. I wonder if they found the limit of a 2zr :)
I sure hope that's not the limit. But it was an older engine and you never know what shape it was in originally. I can't see the failure being caused by the Haltach technician. Surely those guys could see detonation coming before it occured. I'd love to see the dyno sheet if it had info on AFR.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #50
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
It didn't sound healthy.

Haltech is probably free or very discounted for them.

eBay turbos aren't always bad, but one that cheap is destined to fail. Check out the turbos that the BoostedBoiz and PFI Speed are using from ebay. Several cars making 1000whp with honda K series and ebay turbos pretty reliably.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #51
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It's probably not the limit of the 2ZR. Lotus runs the Series 3 Elise up to 186 kW (at the crank) with a supercharger. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't ship production vehicles at the ragged edge of performance. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #52
benoityip

I am planning to use haltech, not sure how they get around any check engine lights or other lights.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #53
stidnam

Quote:
It's probably not the limit of the 2ZR. Lotus runs the Series 3 Elise up to 186 kW (at the crank) with a supercharger. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't ship production vehicles at the ragged edge of performance. =)
Surely Lotus would be not be using off the shelf 2zr motors though. I'd love it if they are as point proven, but surely not if punching out 186kw in a track car.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:02 AM   #54
Ausecho

Drives: 2000 3dr LB
Lotus uses the 2ZZGE motor with VVTLi , different motor .
Ausecho is offline   Reply With Quote