Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #19
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Tein's

How come I don't ever hear recommendation for Tein Suspension? Is it the color? LOL!!!
I have the lowering springs installed in mine, the first mod that I did, and they're pretty comfortable, and I think it's a pretty good height. With the lower center of gravity she handles much better than stock. My only issue is that the stock shocks don't dampen enough, so there's a little bit oscillation when I hit a dip, or go over a hump/speed bump. So I was thinking of putting TRD shocks in hope of fixing the issue, or should I just go with full coil overs? There are two types, the cheaper one is without adjustable damper.

https://parts.mcgeetoyotaofdudley.co...iABEgIjHfD_BwE

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...yABEgKtg_D_BwE

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...2-yaris-07-11/
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
How come I don't ever hear recommendation for Tein Suspension? Is it the color? LOL!!!
I have the lowering springs installed in mine, the first mod that I did, and they're pretty comfortable, and I think it's a pretty good height. With the lower center of gravity she handles much better than stock. My only issue is that the stock shocks don't dampen enough, so there's a little bit oscillation when I hit a dip, or go over a hump/speed bump. So I was thinking of putting TRD shocks in hope of fixing the issue, or should I just go with full coil overs? There are two types, the cheaper one is without adjustable damper.

https://parts.mcgeetoyotaofdudley.co...iABEgIjHfD_BwE

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...yABEgKtg_D_BwE

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...2-yaris-07-11/
Haha, color doesn't matter to me as I may paint mine black anyway. I looked at the Teins. I just couldn't get good pricing with shipping in/to Canada. After doing a lot of reading on the HSD coilovers, I found an outfit in Canada that offered me the set at wholesale pricing. $849.00 plus $110.00 shipping. I would have been into $1500.00 minimum for Teins, BCs etc. I was hoping to get into a set of lowering springs plus struts and rear shocks for under $1000.00. So, basically an additional ~ $80.00, I got a fully adjustable coilover kit that has great reviews. I like that they have variable damping. I have a feeling that they'll be pretty stiff and having the ability to soften things a wee bit for our roads around here will be good.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #21
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I've been running the Tein S Tech springs in mine for a few years and this last Saturday, installed Biltstein B8 shocks and struts. Huge improvement. They're not adjustable like a set of coil overs would be, but the ride is excellent. Given that my goal for the car is a TRD like, super street type car and not a track machine, I couldn't be happier for both the cost and result.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #22
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I've been running the Tein S Tech springs in mine for a few years and this last Saturday, installed Biltstein B8 shocks and struts. Huge improvement. They're not adjustable like a set of coil overs would be, but the ride is excellent. Given that my goal for the car is a TRD like, super street type car and not a track machine, I couldn't be happier for both the cost and result.
That is awesome news, Ernie! Am I going to have to ask for pics? LOL. I am anxious to get your driving impressions, old vs new. I hope I don't regret the coilovers. Hopefully they aren't too stiff.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #23
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That is awesome news, Ernie! Am I going to have to ask for pics? LOL. I am anxious to get your driving impressions, old vs new. I hope I don't regret the coilovers. Hopefully they aren't too stiff.
I don't think you'll regret it because you want the adjustability. If I hadn't won the Wheelwell parts giveaway and gotten the rear shocks for free, the cost might have been near what you paid and I wouldn't have the adjustments you will. Adjustments are what I think it really boils down to because there are coilovers that aim to provide a street friendly ride. The few extra hundred you usually pay for coil overs give you the ability to change height, dampening, etc. If you don't need that, then maybe it makes sense to save a few pennies and go with springs, shocks and struts.

On Wheelwell
Old 07-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #24
06YarisRS

Quote:
I don't think you'll regret it because you want the adjustability. If I hadn't won the Wheelwell parts giveaway and gotten the rear shocks for free, the cost might have been near what you paid and I wouldn't have the adjustments you will. Adjustments are what I think it really boils down to because there are coilovers that aim to provide a street friendly ride. The few extra hundred you usually pay for coil overs give you the ability to change height, dampening, etc. If you don't need that, then maybe it makes sense to save a few pennies and go with springs, shocks and struts.
Yeah, I think I'll be happy with them. I watched a few more videos and it seems that even on the softest setting, they still pretty much eliminate body roll and make the driving 'go-kartish'. Apparently, they arrived today and my neighbour put them in the house. We're away at hockey camp on Prince Edward Island. Needless to say, the urge to get home and start wrenching is growing.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #25
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Are the Bilstein shocks and struts shorter than stock? Just wondering.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #26
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
It's a shortened shock designed for lowering springs.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yeah, I think I'll be happy with them. I watched a few more videos and it seems that even on the softest setting, they still pretty much eliminate body roll and make the driving 'go-kartish'. Apparently, they arrived today and my neighbour put them in the house. We're away at hockey camp on Prince Edward Island. Needless to say, the urge to get home and start wrenching is growing.
Body roll and bump bounce has been significantly reduced with my setup as well. Looking forward to hearing your experience!

On Wheelwell
Old 07-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #28
06YarisRS

Quote:
Body roll and bump bounce has been significantly reduced with my setup as well. Looking forward to hearing your experience!
Awesome news, man! Great to hear. I got my kit unboxed, the car up on jackstands and started removing parts. I only had about an hour in the garage as we got back later from PEI. Next post will have some pics.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #29
06YarisRS

Coilover install begins

Wish me luck...

Hardware looks like pretty darn good quality.

I LOVE ReleasAll! I wire brushed all the fasteners and soaked, multiple times, each one. The lower main strut bolts broke free easily with a breaker bar.

Same deal with the end links. Let's hope the driver's side goes as well. I hope to get that done tomorrow as well as disconnect the upper mounts and get the struts out. Time will be a bit limited tomorrow unfortunately.

End links are in great shape. They'll get a good sanding, rust converter, prime and paint before re-installation. I was unsure of how the links would connect to the coilover, but now see that there is an adjustable collar with locking rings.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-19-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #30
stidnam

If you cut down a 6mm hex key and have an offset spanner in the appropriate size, then you shouldn't need to remove any of the top trim to get to the top nut on the front struts. Just a handy hint :)
Old 07-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #31
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
If you cut down a 6mm hex key and have an offset spanner in the appropriate size, then you shouldn't need to remove any of the top trim to get to the top nut on the front struts. Just a handy hint :)
Awesome. Thanks. I don't have an offset wrench, but will see if a local hardware store has one. I'd prefer not to remove the wiper tray.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #32
stidnam

I think you're going to need a 17mm offset spanner regardless.

https://youtu.be/sryKfs1JwCs?t=190
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
I think you're going to need a 17mm offset spanner regardless.

https://youtu.be/sryKfs1JwCs?t=190
Yeah, couldn't find a 17mm but a 11/16 worked great. I didn't realize that I have to remove the coil spring nut to get the mounts out. Dang! Now I have to go find a spring compressor or order new mounts. EDIT: I just ordered 2 new mounts. They'll be in tomorrow morning. May as well leave the stock struts intact. That way if I hate the coilovers, I can go back to stock.

Upper mount removal

Lower Strut bolt removal. God love Toyota for putting anti-seize on these big bolts!

Strut out

Driver's strut out

Every bolt and nut gets wire brushed and anti-seize applied. Clearly, I have some time while I wait for my new upper strut mounts to arrive. They will be in at 8:00am tomorrow.

I degreased, sanded primed and painted the end links. They'll get sprayed with thick rustproofing after installation. Which reminds me, I have to pick up the recommended marine grease to apply to the threaded bodies of the coilovers. Shouldn't be a problem as I live in a fishing community.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #34
06YarisRS

Front coilovers installed

I have them installed but not height adjusted yet. I'll try to get the rear done tomorrow and lower the car, measure and adjust.

I use a ton of antiseize - everywhere! I'll wipe the excess off, then spray the whole coilover assemblies with Rust Check Coat and Protect - a clear, very viscous rust proofing.

Then, after about 100 kms of driving, off to get an alignment. The Yaris appears to have an insane amount of camber adjustment. I expect I'll be quite far out on the camber before I get it aligned.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #35
06YarisRS

Well, got the car lowered and it looks great, but I have a complete 'clunkfest' on my hands. It sounds like the strut mounts. It sounds like the front end is going to fall off. I tried re-adjusting the coilovers, tightening the strut mounts etc. Nothing helps at this point. Feeling kind of bummed out at the moment.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #36
06YarisRS

Clunking fixed

Taking shortcuts rarely pays off. I didn't remove the wiper tray when I initially installed the coilovers. Despite thinking that I had everything tight, I didn't. With the wiper tray removed, I tightened down the strut bearing and the top nut better. The car is absolutely silent and the handling improvement is astronomical. I have just driven for about 10 - 15 minutes, but the car is so planted feeling. There is virtually zero body roll, or nose diving when braking. Despite being much firmer, the ride is amazingly comfortable, not jarring in the least. I do have the dampers in the softest position and will experiment with greater damping after the springs are exercised a bit. Right now, I am very stoked.

The strut vertical deflection is perfect now. This si about the same clearance as on my old 2008 and this 2006 before the coilover install.

The car will be dropped about another 3/4" - 1" in the back and about another 1/2" in the front.