Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
AMK Racing Header

So I bought the AMK racing header from ebay that was posted in this thread.(http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16119). So I torqued and re-torqued the whole thing, used the gasket that was included which looked fine and made sure the collector end of the headers were securely attached to the mid pipe.

It sounds like crap to me...is this normal? Thee noise is like how stock engine idle is, but super annoying. I tried everything I could to address any leak issues. There were no included hardware such as different bolts included so i used the stock ones. Is it really just suppose to be this loud? I read people saying it doesnt make much of a difference in sound. I cant stand how loud this thing is, it sounds like some junkyard beater. Lemme know if this is normal, otherwise its gone by tomorrow.

Video HEADER INSTALLED PROPERLY

Direct Link: http://www.inimi.org/downloads/eiiexhaust.avi
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQiuWupPgw

Pics

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header

Last edited by eii; 07-11-2009 at 12:32 AM.
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
i have the dc and it didn't sound that much different from stock. can you describe wat sound you are hearing?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Sorry to hear that. I think with headers it is a hit or miss if it will make your car sound like crap. Probably just a poorly designed header. Do you have any other exhaust work done (midpipe/axleback)?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
eii
Rides canyon walls

I dunno, it almost sounds like I have no muffler. I really dont know how much more I could torque every bolt up till the heads fly off. Bleh, first mod to go wrong on my car :'(

I got a TRD axel back, its not very loud by itself.

I have a feeling it might have to do with the collector part of the header...maybe..

Sounds good in park till i put it in drive or reverse.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
PHXDEMON

Does it sound crappy or is it just too loud? Could you possible upload a video to youtube?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
$69 dollar header.....
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
$69 dollar header.....
lol yeah i know, but i said i would test it for everyone.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
PHXDEMON

Sell the header to me for 20 bucks and I'll just weld a 45 onto it and dump my exhaust right behind my front wheel Shoot flames out the side n shit
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
PHXDEMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
lol yeah i know, but i said i would test it for everyone.
Thanks for testing it for us
Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Thanks for testing it for us
I took one for the team yo! Seriously though I'm glad I cleared this up for everyone and could contribute.

I put stock back on and its back to normal loveley cai and trd sound. I spent the last 7 hours working on this thing, im soooooo beat. I'm going to be sore tomorrow . Well I can only assume there was a leak, possibly the gasket or somewhere in the welds, but I couldnt see. I know something was wrong cause the headers came out a different color than before, dunno if thats from something else though....

Well this will probably be the last engine performance mod I'll do for a very very very very long time. I just put in a nst lite crank pulley and the 1zz tb earlier this week with no problems so that'll keep me going till the physical and mental trauma from this wears off.

I have video and pix of this header, but my SD card reader is in my car and I want to stay as far away as possible from my yaryar right now. Too frustrated and tired .

Ya so now I dont know what to do with this now...;)

Peace, thanks for checking my thread out

Last edited by eii; 05-03-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Ummmm did you just get a gasket for the midpipe, or for the header to the engine itself.... It's a header, made from piping, and it expels the exhaust, its resonance and sound should NOT sound as bad as you said, somethings wrong
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #12
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Did you get a new gasket with it, or the flange that go between the midpipe and header outlet?

If you didnt, its Very possible that there was something wrong with the collector(bad weld).

I proved it a long time ago that Megan outsources their headers, and the ones that they dont like they resell...Those get sold as Ebay knockoffs. Time to redo that post
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
assuming it was a pre hack post like all of my good ones too hahah
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
Sabretooth
37HSSV

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17312

REVIVED
Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i had probs with cheap headers before. the first thing i do is take it to someone with a big disc sander and have them flatten the mating surface. that's stopped 2 leaks for my camaro.

second would be to completely inspect the holes and mounting points of the header for globs of weld splatter or other interferance/mounting issues (this has been an issue twice as well for cheaper headers.)
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Well the worst that hapens, if the header blows up. Pray it doesnt hurt anything else then go buy the real deal.

IF my Megan Racing header croaks on me, I am going to get the DC Header (Althought no one as of yet has had to replace their Megan header due to malfunction.)
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah what you are describing is probally a exhaust leak. LIke a annoying constant farting sound comming from the engine at idle
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
IF my Megan Racing header croaks on me, I am going to get the DC Header (Althought no one as of yet has had to replace their Megan header due to malfunction.)
Your megan header should last a good long time - it's well-made.

DC Sports was acquired by another company and is not currently producing a header for the Yaris.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote