Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #19
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Right on
I run my block heater with a timer so it comes on at 2am shuts off at 9am
My extention cord is already in the driveway with an LED lighted end on it so it's easy to plug in even in the dark.

I still have to wait a couple minutes every morning just to let the windows defrost but it's nice getting into a car, starting it and having instant warm heater air.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
palsan

Drives: yaris 3 dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
Right on
I run my block heater with a timer so it comes on at 2am shuts off at 9am
My extention cord is already in the driveway with an LED lighted end on it so it's easy to plug in even in the dark.

I still have to wait a couple minutes every morning just to let the windows defrost but it's nice getting into a car, starting it and having instant warm heater air.
Great idea about the timer.

I didn't notice the instant warm air since I usually have it turned off until a few minutes after start-up. However, that is a huge bonus ... no more cold air in your face until the engine warms up.
palsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #21
Reddington

Drives: 1995 Corolla DX auto
My 1995 corolla will stay in 3rd and not shift to 4th until it warms up. I think its just designed to get it up to optimum temperature quickly
Reddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
GUYS you need to READ carefully, he knows that it wont shift into overdrive--4th gear--the issue here is that the car will not naturally move into third gear. I have found def had this problem on my car, i dont have a scanguage but im pretty sure it is getting over 3k rpm sometimes, its get very loud. It doesnt matter how slowly you accelerate, the problem is that while the engine is cold it does not want o shift into third, and i think not shifting into THIRD is a problem isnt it?

so many people dont read and think that he is talking about fourth gear that it is very difficult to know who is giving accurate info and who is not.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:33 AM   #23
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

It's not a problem

Until it's up to temps it's going to hold shifts
If it's cold enough it may even hold the shift going into 2nd like my plymouth did.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #24
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I believe at least 30 sec. to 1 min. should be allowed to let the oil fully circulate. Also, even after the cold engine light goes out the tranny may not be fully warmed up. If you want long life out of your car, I would allow minimal warm up, and drive softly for at least 5 miles.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #25
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
There was a noticable switch in the recommendation for warming-up an engine from sitting there for 3-4 minutes to just drive-off gently, something like 30 yrs ago.

We drive-off gently rather than sitting there and warming-up. In all but one case (a 1986 Trooper - rebuilt around 160K miles), our engine has outlasted the rest of the vehicle.

Our HB stick-shift also revs up to around 1,500 RPM when started cold, per the ScanGauge. We have about a 4 block drive to the 1st main intersection and the engine usually gets to (or close to) 130 degrees - where the cool engine light shuts off. However, "normal operating temp" appears to be in the 184-190 degree range.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #26
Greg66
New Guy

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris 2dr hatch
Most modern cars are designed to drive right away without idle time. In some parts of our world it is actually illegal, allthough not often enforced, to idle your car as to not contribute to our ever growing SMOG issues. I think you will discover in the very near future that these laws will come into effect here also.
Greg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #27
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
ok but I got a remote starter. So you guys are seriously saying that its bad for the engine to let it warm up for 5 min?...
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #28
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfront
ok but I got a remote starter. So you guys are seriously saying that its bad for the engine to let it warm up for 5 min?...
No it's not bad for and engine to warm up, but 5 minutes is way overkill.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #29
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Talking Warm up

I too have noticed the failure to jump right into 4th (overdrive) on my 2007 sedan. I will agree with you all that it's a operating temp shift. Asked the dealer and Toyota and the transmission has a sensor in it that won't allow the shift to overdrive until the transmission reaches operating temp. I had two Suzukis, and xl7 and grand vitara, that did the same thing. The new age of electronics. Just drive reasonable and when the cool light goes off you should be all set.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #30
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
The repair manual states that 4th gear is prohibited if coolant temp is 60 degrees Celcius (140 degrees Farenheit) or less or if the ATF temperature is 10 degrees Celcius (50 degrees farenheit) or less.

The manual doesn't give a straight-forward explaination about a 3rd gear prohibition. It goes on about different parameters that are checked and a whole bunch of other stuff that I didn't feel like reading.

The bottom line is, 3rd gear may be prohibited, maybe even 2nd in rare instances. 3rd gear for me is sometimes prohibited, it's not a malfunction, don't worry about it.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #31
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober View Post
Thanks for that info. about the transmission. I'll still idle my car for a few minutes till the engines warmed up though before I drive it. I kind of want it for the next 200,000 miles.
Letting it idle to warm it up will do NOTHING to extend the life of the engine....better to start it, then start driving it, but slow and easy until the cold temp light goes off, then gradually get more aggressive with your driving.

The late shifting of the auto tranny while driving happens until the water temperature gets to 130F, then the car will shift as normal...this is the car's way of warming up while yuo drive....don't waste gas with idleing....you only fool yourself when you do this, and the car has no benefit. None, over just driving it immediately, slowly at first.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #32
Jimb442
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Yaris 4 dr hatch
here's my 2cents worth. I too read early on that the transmission will not shift to 4th until the engine reaches a temp set by the manufacturer ie. the cold light must be out. This is reasonable and allows you to reach speeds of 80km in 3rd without reving too high which is good enough for city driving at least.

Not shifting to 3rd however I believe is an issue. The car is not designed to do this and I've never owned a car that holds onto a gear like this. Even a cold start in relatively mild temps still cause the shift issue. Another reason I believe it's a problem and not just a normal function of any cold auto trans like some on here are stating is mine seems to be getting worse plus and more importantly, IT DIDN'T ALWAYS DO IT! I took mine in for the issue before the warranty ran out and of course Toyota could find nothing wrong as I kind of expected. I'm glad I took it in at least during the warranty period and it's on the dealers books for that so when I take it in again, hopefully it will still be covered. If I knew that it would never amount to anything more than a 1 minute delay in shifting to 3rd then I would probably just leave it alone but I'm not convinced that's all it will be. Suit yourself, but I'm getting it checked out and obviously there are a lot of other owners (but I bet not 100%) that are having the same problem so it can't be a normal function of this car.

Now after all this, I tried reading through some of the posts, did anybody actually take his/her yaris in and successfully fix this problem. Sorry it that's already been covered and I missed it.
Jimb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #33
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
our 2008 sedan does the same thing . The 2010 3 door goes as far as 3rd until blue light goes out . Maybe the computer system for the tranny needs a reboot for the shifting points . Unhooked the battery for over 2 hours to no avail .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #34
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
We keep covering the same thing over and over again. The ECU manages the warm up. It runs at a higher idle and delays up shift while cold. Till about 1/8 of a mile it will hold back the up shift. This is NORMAL! It takes 3 to 5 miles to warm up the engine and the engine and transmission will run normally.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #35
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 is the same way.
When cold in the winter. It takes a few slow miles to warm it up enough to go into 3rd.
Forth as mentioned is not available until the cold light goes out.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #36
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
ours still occurs during the warmer spring . Shouldn't be the case . Got to take it to TOYO service center soon due to a possible oil leak . May bring up the staying in 2nd gear for about 1/4 > 1/2 mile then going to 3rd and then finally to overdrive when BLUE light disappears .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote