Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
More Dope on Bronsins Accident!

Insurance adjusted out at $2137 and I have a $2000 deductable. Since I could well be laid off (and retired) in a month and the car is drivable and NJ only requires no CEL light for inspection every two years its possible the insurance company has paid me $137 to have an accident!
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Wow, so sorry to hear that . If you get your house sold (I'm assuming your Yaris is parked out in front of your house on the previous thread), when your wife retires moving down here might be a consideration (I remember your brother and your mother live down here). As you know, the COL is lower, and we rarely get snow (and when we do, it doesn't stick on the ground...only on the roofs of houses for usually 2 days at most). If your kids are there (and don't plan to move), and a 'Philly Summer' is as hot as you can stand , etc. -- then of course staying put makes the most sense (over moving anywhere 'hotter').
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Insurance adjusted out at $2137 and I have a $2000 deductable. Since I could well be laid off (and retired) in a month and the car is drivable and NJ only requires no CEL light for inspection every two years its possible the insurance company has paid me $137 to have an accident!
I am intrigued by your picture, for another reason (besides the accident damage). I recently decided (after my flat tire about 3 1/2 weeks ago)...knowing that the replacement on that wheel will still have lots of tread on it when I'm due for another 'set' of tires on my Yaris... that (after that) re going out of town (any time I'm going to be outside the metro I'm in --- Be it the Bay Area in CA, or Houston here in Texas) for overnight or longer, I want to have a full sized spare. I ended up buying a rim from CTScott (I got a notice in my box (picked up wednesday night) that it had arrived...I picked up the box on Thursday...and didn't have a chance to open it until this morning). The rim has a used tire on it. The tire has enough tread on it that I don't have to wait until I 'need a new set' of tires to implement using this rim for trips . Your picture is additionally intriguing (beyond your damage) because your rim has the same...for lack of a better term...'rust circles'..that I see on my recently purchased rim. I'm not concerned (I know CTScott wouldn't sell anyone a rim (or anything else) that he judged (obviously competently) to be unsafe), I'm just curious re what causes this. Does this happen in all areas that have inclement winter weather, or only where certain types of road treatment (certain types of salts ?) are used?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
nookandcrannycar the openings in hub caps create those circles.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
im still surprised one can have a $2000 deductible.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
+1
What do they charge p.a.?
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantninja View Post
nookandcrannycar the openings in hub caps create those circles.
I could tell that when I first looked at the one I bought from CTScott, and when I saw the picture Bronsin posted of his recent accident that showed the driver side front rim . What I was really wondering is what causes that....driving in the rain in certain (colder?) climates at specific times of the year?.......driving on roads that have been treated with particular chemicals?....lots of driving in areas with particular types of pollution?....and....a thought that JUST popped into my head -- namely driving for extended periods without wheel covers on the car....This hasn't happened with my OEM steelies (no circles). The existence of the circles doesn't worry me at all. I've just always had a fairly well developed sense of curiosity...always asking why .
Old 02-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
+1
What do they charge p.a.?
The philosophy re car insurance here in the U.S. is quite different than in Canada or in Europe...and it also varies from state to state. I carry high liability limits, but I don't carry comprehensive nor collision on my Yaris. Neither does Tooter out in California. IIRC, the liability limits in Texas are higher than in California. In California the minimum limits (by law) are (at least as of a couple of months ago) 15k/30k/5k --- $15,000 per person bodily injury/$30,000 overall per accident bodily injury/$5,000 per accident property damage. These were also the minimum limits in California IN THE 1970s. If you own your car outright (no lien holder), then you aren't required to carry collision or comprehensive coverage. IIRC from an earlier thread, the minimum liability limit in Canada is $2,000,000 CAD. Bronsin's insurance probably isn't cheap. Being married helps re rates, as does being a homeowner if you have multiple policies with the same carrier, but New Jersey isn't known (among people I know who have moved there) as an inexpensive place re car insurance...nor many other things...EXCEPT gasoline for your vehicle.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
In British Columbia you must purchase insurance for your car in order to purchase a license plate or license plate sticker for your car.
The minimum insurance you can purchase is:

3rd Party Liability - $200,000 - If you are found legally responsible for someone else's injury or damage to their property, then 3rd party liability coverage will pay for claims or damages awarded against you.

Accident Benefits - $150,000 - If you are injured in a motor vehicle crash, Accident Benefits will help with medical costs and wage loss.

Underinsured Motorist Protection - Up to $1,000,000 - If you are injured or killed by the owner or operator of an underinsured vehicle and you're not at fault, Underinsured Motorist Protection will provide coverage if the at fault motorist does not have enough insurance and can't pay the claim.

Protection against hit and run and underinsured motorists - $200,000 - Automatic coverage up to a maximum of $200,000 is available to anyone whose property is damaged, or who is injured or killed by an underinsured or hit and run driver on a highway in BC. This coverage is available to all BC residents regardless of whether they own and insure a vehicle.

Inverse Liability Coverage - To recover your deductible if the other motorist is at fault and it is against the law to recover your deductible from their insurance company.
We have a choice of deductibles from $300.00 to $2,500.00.
You can also purchase additional insurance through ICBC or a private company.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Hope this explains it better.
Roy

Last edited by The Limo 2; 02-27-2014 at 01:35 PM.
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo 2 View Post
In British Columbia you must purchase insurance for your car in order to purchase a license plate or license plate sticker for your car.
The minimum insurance you can purchase is:
3rd Party Liability - $200,000
Accident Benefits - $150,000
Underinsured Motorist Protection - Up to $1,000,000
Protection against hit and run and underinsured motorists - $200,000
Inverse Liability Coverage - To recover your deductible if the other motorist is at fault and it is against the law to recover your deductible from their insurance company.
We have a choice of deductibles from $300.00 to $2,500.00.
You can also purchase additional insurance through ICBC or a private company.
Roy
Wow. Very interesting. So different from here. Since you don't mention what we refer to as 'Comp and Collision' (I think you can only buy them together...at least in California and Texas), I'm assuming that at least collision is covered under what you refer to as 'accident benefits' ? I'm also assuming that (if not by name, then by effect), in British Columbia, you have what we call 'No Fault Insurance' (IIRC, roxy1 posted that this is the case in Michigan, and that it isn't held in high regard)? Given that Inverse Liability Coverage exists in your province, I assume that one MUST have coverage that covers damage to your own car, even if you own it outright with no lien holder? I guess it is like many things.....one 'gets used to it' (and at least you have one of the most beautiful places on the planet (the southern part of British Columbia) to 'get used to it' ) .....but finding it hard to embrace this (when you own your car outright) might be one of the few things many Texans and many Californians might agree upon. I was recently rear ended while waiting for traffic to clear to merge onto a freeway feeder road. 100% the other driver's fault. The thought that I would have to pay one cent toward the repair itself (I didn't have to), just about 'makes my blood boil' (so to speak).

The $2,000,000 CAD figure, IIRC, was from a post by edmscan. Possibly $2,000,000 is the minimum liability limit in Alberta? (or perhaps that is his limit and not a minimum limit )
Old 02-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Up here, BC is a bit of an odd nut. Automobile insurance in BC is run by the provincial government, whereas most of the other provinces are privately held, or publicly traded companies, operating under the federal watchdog IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada).
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Up here, BC is a bit of an odd nut. Automobile insurance in BC is run by the provincial government, whereas most of the other provinces are privately held, or publicly traded companies, operating under the federal watchdog IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada).
Thanks for the info .
Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
unfortunately, in MI (and other no fault states) most carry collision unless you car is worth around $1000 or less, since even in a crash that destroys your car and is 100% the fault of another driver, MI doesn't care. you carry collision or your car cant be totaled out for its true value.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
So am I! Mine is $250 and my insurance rate isn't high.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I could tell that when I first looked at the one I bought from CTScott, and when I saw the picture Bronsin posted of his recent accident that showed the driver side front rim . What I was really wondering is what causes that....driving in the rain in certain (colder?) climates at specific times of the year?.......driving on roads that have been treated with particular chemicals?....lots of driving in areas with particular types of pollution?....and....a thought that JUST popped into my head -- namely driving for extended periods without wheel covers on the car....This hasn't happened with my OEM steelies (no circles). The existence of the circles doesn't worry me at all. I've just always had a fairly well developed sense of curiosity...always asking why .
now that you mention it, my steelies that don't have hub caps on them are rust free. I just assumed it was from salt and sand from the road surface sandblasting the parts of the wheel that weren't covered by the hubcap. Now I'm unsure.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
now that you mention it, my steelies that don't have hub caps on them are rust free. I just assumed it was from salt and sand from the road surface sandblasting the parts of the wheel that weren't covered by the hubcap. Now I'm unsure.
I think that the hubcaps cause the sandblasting of the uncovered areas, as I have only seen the steelies blasted down to bare metal on ones that had hubcaps.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yeah I recently removed my hubcaps so they wouldnt get lost hitting potholes and to make it easier to change wheels if need be. They have the rusted circles after five years of hubcaps.

But that never used to happen. Why now?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I just assumed it was from salt and sand from the road surface sandblasting the parts of the wheel that weren't covered by the hubcap
After seeing Bronsin's driver side front steelie I thought road treatment might have something to do with it, but then when CTScott wrote that the wheel I bought from him was from a California car, I wondered if road treatment was a factor.