Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I guess I dont understand what this is supposed to do, tighten your rear brakes to take stress from the fronts?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I guess I dont understand what this is supposed to do, tighten your rear brakes to take stress from the fronts?
Yessir, distribute the weight so as to not prematurely wear out pads or warp rotors.
This can be tricky to do for a first timer. Don't screw around with brakes unless you are real confident about what you are getting into.
I did this procedure myself after noticing my handbrake lever going up real high when pulled. As he said, go from the FRONT to adjust not from the rubber plug in the back. That way you'll know right away if the shoes are too open since the drum won't slide on.
I used compressed air to remove all the dust eaisily without wetting anything at all. You should NOT use compressed air because that dust is BAD and gets into your nostrils real easy. I only did it because I was outside in the open air.
After the adjustment the brakes felt much better.
I know these cars are supposed to have self adjusting brakes, but I've yet to see one of those systems that works as allegedly designed without a little "help" from a screwdriver.....
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote