Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Inspector14

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, Meteor Metal
Intermittent low oil pressure light.

I have a 2009 LB, with 9400 miles on it. this morning after driving for about 5 minutes i noticed that the oil light flashed at me a couple of times when i slowed for a light.

as the car warmed up the light started flashing extremely rapidly, like a loose wire or bad connection was causing intermittent contact.

now i understand that when the oil light comes on you should immediatly pull over and turn off the engine. i was only a little ways from my destination, so i continued on and stopped a short while later.

i went into the airport to get a family member to take them to the hospital. returning to the car, and starting it. there was no light. and the light did not come back on until after i had left the hospital 3 hrs later.

i let the car sit for 8 hrs and went to get dinner, and noted a pattern on my scan gauge: the oil light comes on when the RPM drops below 750. but only after the car has been on long enough to warm the oil up. upon start up there is no light, even at a bogged idle of 525 rpm. no light.

after the car warms to operating temperature the oil light comes on steady below 750 rpm. if i hold the accelerator just a hair the light goes out, so im assuming that this means oil pressure is acceptable for operation.

i think that this is a faulty pressure sensor or light. im sure that if the pump was bad, i would not have a running car after the day of operation that i have done.

im taking the car to toyota on sunday, but i have to drive it to work tomorrow, 15 minutes each way. i have no alternative.

will a car that is being starved of oil via low pressure show some sign other than the light? the engine isnt behaving differently, temperatures are not rising, and the car is not sluggish or rough running.

i know that im pushing my luck driving the car. i have no choice right now.
Inspector14 is offline   Reply With Quote