Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
yarismo

Drives: Yaris HB luna
ignition wires ?

Hello everybody, can anyone tell me what is the function of these wires located under the steering wheel. Actually, I am looking for the ignition wires to install a "start engine button". . . please help thnx a lot !

here are wires:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10212.jpg (116.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10232.jpg (115.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10227.jpg (112.1 KB, 179 views)
yarismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
You may find this thread here a help.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...254#post428254
The pdf file has lots of data.

Do you have an Engine Immobilizer? You photo of the ignition switch assembly is showing one.

Last edited by BLH; 03-27-2010 at 01:38 PM.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
yarismo

thank you for the reply,
I didn't knew that there is something named Engine Immobilizer on my YARIS, but now I know what is it and where is it. Do the Engine Immobilizer prevent from starting the engine with an "engine start button" ? can I disable it ?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
If you have an immobilizer. I believe the key has a transponder in it and if the key is not in the ignition. The car will not start.
Is there a RED LED that glows when you open the door before the key is in the ignition?

Those with more experience may have more data for you.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
no matter what, with a simple start button, he'll need to have the key in the ignition and turned to "ON", so the immobilizer is not a worry. ;)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
yarismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH View Post
If you have an immobilizer. I believe the key has a transponder in it and if the key is not in the ignition. The car will not start.
Is there a RED LED that glows when you open the door before the key is in the ignition?

Those with more experience may have more data for you.
yes that's true, so I have to insert the key and switch to "on" and then I'll push the button to start the engine. the major "problem" I have is: what are the two wires to connect to the button ?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If your button just has two wires, then most likely it's looking for ignition switched power (pink wire) and the wire that feeds the starter relay (two black wires in one pin). i.e. With the switch in the on position, jumping pink to black cranks the starter.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarismo View Post
thank you for the reply,
I didn't knew that there is something named Engine Immobilizer on my YARIS, but now I know what is it and where is it. Do the Engine Immobilizer prevent from starting the engine with an "engine start button" ? can I disable it ?
The immobilizer is a very valuable feature. Disabling it would be pretty dumb. Most car insurance companies will even give you a discount if your car is equipped with an immobilizer.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
yarismo

great !! I've got what I was looking for (pink + black) that's all. Thanks for your help everyone. I will post pictures when finished .