Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #1
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Push button start for the third gen?

Has anyone out there installed a push button start on a third gen? I know it's a thing on the other side of the pond in Europe and Asia, I'm wondering if that's something I could do to my car here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
I dont think you can as our cars have the transponder chips. So you will not easily be able to get full push start only functionality. However I'm sure you can do the push start where you stick the key in and turn it to on and then hit the start button. There is a ton of DIY online about these.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
I dont think you can as our cars have the transponder chips. So you will not easily be able to get full push start only functionality. However I'm sure you can do the push start where you stick the key in and turn it to on and then hit the start button. There is a ton of DIY online about these.

Would you mind linking me some? I haven't found any. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Sorry but why in the world would you want this? To me push button start is a step backwards. Just more problems waiting to happen.

People forget to shut down the engine. People forget who has the fob, drops off the one that does, continues on the way to destination and can't start the car when its time to leave. Yes that happens. A LOT. Plus just extra stuff to break. No thank you.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Sorry but why in the world would you want this? To me push button start is a step backwards. Just more problems waiting to happen.

People forget to shut down the engine. People forget who has the fob, drops off the one that does, continues on the way to destination and can't start the car when its time to leave. Yes that happens. A LOT. Plus just extra stuff to break. No thank you.

With all due respect, I wasn't asking for an opinion, and surely not yours. So negative. I was asking if anyone here has any knowledge and experience on the matter about parts and installation, etc.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Seen it done to a Gen2 a few years back here in Canada. It was a money is no object project and all required parts, genuine Toyota, were sourced from Japan. That is the only instance of a push button retrofit having been done in the community that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Would you mind linking me some? I haven't found any. Thanks!
Just google 'installing push button start' and you'll get bombarded with product, video, and diy links. None will be specific to a Yaris if that is what you mean by not being able to find any.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Seen it done to a Gen2 a few years back here in Canada. It was a money is no object project and all required parts, genuine Toyota, were sourced from Japan. That is the only instance of a push button retrofit having been done in the community that I'm aware of.

Just google 'installing push button start' and you'll get bombarded with product, video, and diy links. None will be specific to a Yaris if that is what you mean by not being able to find any.
Oh I see, hmmm. Yeah, I'll keep looking. As similar as the 2nd and 3rd gen cars are, I would imagine the install would not differ much from other installs on older ones. Thanks guys
Old 04-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post

Newer cars are being gratuitously over-engineered today to the point of ridiculousness, and once the warranty has expired there is now a new boatload of things to break/malfunction and need expensive repairs on top of the core mechanicals of the vehicle. Almost all the new 'safety tech' is only useful to selfish idiots who are too busy texting and posting social media updates on their smartphones to actually drive and pay attention to the road, or perhaps to certain really old seniors who probably shouldn't be driving anymore to begin with.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #9
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FBQwxm0uYo
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
its possible to have. its just a bling item really. I have it in my gen2. You can start the car normally, or push the button. CTScott made it happen.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
its possible to have. its just a bling item really. I have it in my gen2. You can start the car normally, or push the button. CTScott made it happen.
Is that echo_hrs old parts living on in your ride?

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk