Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #37
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
my car runs fine under boost BUT when im cruising down the highway with the supercharger set at low(being the high setting) and the throttle is below 5%, meaning the supercharger is not engaged and i am not making boost, the car periodically seems to stutter and the a/f ratios go lean. im guessing this is preignition. this happens maybe once or twice every 10 minutes or so

now when i have the supercharger turned off this does not occur.

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #38
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
my car runs fine under boost BUT when im cruising down the highway with the supercharger set at low(being the high setting) and the throttle is below 5%, meaning the supercharger is not engaged and i am not making boost, the car periodically seems to stutter and the a/f ratios go lean. im guessing this is preignition. this happens maybe once or twice every 10 minutes or so

now when i have the supercharger turned off this does not occur.
Preignition would be rich generally.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #39
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Garm,

Any luck with blitz? Did you send them the gathered information? Have they offered to do anything?

Does ANYONE even know what blitz says the AFR should be at with the blitz kit? heh...

I just want to know if they are going to do anything about it or not. If not, I am picking up a greddy ultimate and having a local tuner put it in and tune this thing!

Thanks
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #40
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Garm,

Any luck with blitz? Did you send them the gathered information? Have they offered to do anything?

Does ANYONE even know what blitz says the AFR should be at with the blitz kit? heh...

I just want to know if they are going to do anything about it or not. If not, I am picking up a greddy ultimate and having a local tuner put it in and tune this thing!

Thanks
You should do that anyway...
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #41
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Like I said (I think I did) in a previous post, this is R&D and may take some time.

I agree with largeorangefont, if you have a shop that can tune the car with an eManage, you'd be the first to do so, and you'll probably make more power than the Blitz fuel controller can.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #42
whooppee777

so that could be done? replacing the blitz fuel controller with another piggy back?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #43
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

If someone gets a piggyback to work, we are all golden for tuning.

I think Blitz is trying to send over a few fuel controllers with different maps for someone to test.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #44
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
If someone gets a piggyback to work, we are all golden for tuning.

I think Blitz is trying to send over a few fuel controllers with different maps for someone to test.
This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Paying 600-700$ on the Greddy universal ultimate and paying someone to install and tune it is definately second on the list, behind blitz trying to help the existing problem.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #45
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

OK guys, here is Blitz's first answer. They want to confirm that the problem persists after ALL of these conditions are met. Please post up.

My next question to Blitz is if they have developed the map with a USDM ECU on hand. I can send them mine, which is no longer in my car, if they want to play with it.

Air Fuel Ratio = The chart you've provided showing lean side but Japan said it is in a fine range. [note: Noogie this is you, right?]

Fuel Controller Wiring = Japan direction is the wiring must need to be Soldered and hard wire. Do not use connector of splice etc. Can you confirm if your customers soldered the wire? Connection has to be done properly, bad connection cause resistance made improper signal to ECM.

Spark Plug = Japan recommended to replace spark plug heat range one range Colder. I believe Stock heat range of Yaris is 6, then replace to 7.

Pump Gas Quality = This is always a big issue when comes to knocking issue. Must have good clean 91 Octane Gas all the time, but this is something hard to determine because pump gas quality hard to verify......
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #46
PETERPOOP

Quote:
OK guys, here is Blitz's first answer. They want to confirm that the problem persists after ALL of these conditions are met. Please post up.

My next question to Blitz is if they have developed the map with a USDM ECU on hand. I can send them mine, which is no longer in my car, if they want to play with it.

Air Fuel Ratio = The chart you've provided showing lean side but Japan said it is in a fine range. [note: Noogie this is you, right?]

Fuel Controller Wiring = Japan direction is the wiring must need to be Soldered and hard wire. Do not use connector of splice etc. Can you confirm if your customers soldered the wire? Connection has to be done properly, bad connection cause resistance made improper signal to ECM.

Spark Plug = Japan recommended to replace spark plug heat range one range Colder. I believe Stock heat range of Yaris is 6, then replace to 7.

Pump Gas Quality = This is always a big issue when comes to knocking issue. Must have good clean 91 Octane Gas all the time, but this is something hard to determine because pump gas quality hard to verify......
AIR/FUEL: I am running lean too, not just noogie. I'm not quite sure what you're asking for that question? Both my dyno charts say I am running lean. Both were 15ish and higher at WOT, especially my most recent DYNO. If they need the graphs, let me know. However, once my wideband is on, might be a different story..

Fuel controller: I soldered and shrink wrapped ALL wires.

Spark Plug: I am running the NGK iridium plugs that blitz suggests. "ngk iridium tip 7 heat spark plugs"

PUMP GAS: I've been running only 76 and Shell's 92 premium gas. I have also added lucas octane booster to every tank. I have not experienced any knocking/pre-ignition.

*My problem is running lean and possibly being robbed of power. I have always ran the good gas/octane booster, had the correct spark plugs, and soldered and shrink wrapped from the begining of firing up my kit and I am still experiencing the lean condition.

Once my wideband is hooked up, I will let you know my wideband AF readings. If they are still high, i was going to put in my stock airbox to see what it reads with that (since noogie isn't doing it). heck, even if my AFR isn't high according to my wideband, ill throw on the stock airbox just to see what numbers it shows with that too.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #47
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Well, they are saying Noogie's numbers are fine, so I don't know what to say about that.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #48
PETERPOOP

Isn't it known throughout the tuning world that those numbers AREN'T fine? Are they giving a reason why those numbers should be fine? Or are they just saying that so they don't have to solve the problem? Well please tell them about mine and I want to hear what they say. Show them my graphs.

* I hope they take up your offer on tuning with the USDM ECU from you. Maybe it will enlighten them?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

This does not mean they aren't working on the problem. It means they are eliminating possibilities. That is the appropriate process. They aren't going to send over fuel controllers (@ $700 a pop retail) with random maps, when they don't know what's been done or not done on our side.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #50
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
I'm only giving a suggestion on a stand-alone system.

You guys should really look into Mega Squirt....IF there is someone in the Yaris community that is good with tuning and doesn't mind fiddling with electronics they could produce a complete Plug-n-Play stand-alone unit.

Someone did that with the miatas.....here is an example of what it is.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...19f4ec1322dd5f

Once again, I'm only giving a suggestion. I don't know anything about ECU's or tuning.

Another company you guys could look into is Sniper Tune......They did the tuning on the Cosworth Supercharger Kit for the latest gen. miata. They might be able to crack the Yaris's ECU.

I'm a RETARD when it comes to this stuff...So flame away about how pointless a post I just posted.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #51
PETERPOOP

Quote:
This does not mean they aren't working on the problem. It means they are eliminating possibilities. That is the appropriate process. They aren't going to send over fuel controllers (@ $700 a pop retail) with random maps, when they don't know what's been done or not done on our side.
I understand that. That is why i provided the info. However, it seems strange for them to say that noogie's AFR is fine and not give a reasoning for that (if they didn't). When most people know that his and my A/F readings are higher than ideal WOT AF numbers.

It seems I have done everything accordingly, yet still have the lean problem. I hope they can come up with something. *fingers crossed*

Anywho, I hope other people chime in with the info needed!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #52
PETERPOOP

*BUMP* Yo S/C guys, answer garm's new questions on the bottom of page 3. Thanks
Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #53
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

mouse, the megasquirt is not a standalone management, it's a fuel controller. However, it is tunable, so that gives it an advantage over a pre-programmed unit like the Blitz one.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
whooppee777

i set a CEL code P0302, misfire in 2nd cylinder, last night at WOT in third gear