Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
you are wrong. there is no reason for a non-competition paint job on a daily driver to cost more than 500-1500, and it will last as long as you take care of it.

i have no doubt that those $30,000 paint jobs are worth every penny. but you are talking about show quality painting, with an attention to detail, prep, and post work that is just flat out unnecessary and not noticeable when it comes to your average daily driver.

you do get what you pay for, however what you pay for with a 500-1500 dollar paint job is not as bas some of you paint snobs are making it out to be.
Snobs? Get over yourself. The bottom line is that a lasting paint job on a clean, non-dinged up Yaris is going to cost atleast $2,000. I am just telling it how it is. Maybe you live out in village somewhere but I have never heard of anything as obscene as a $500 paint job. Unless you have some illegal aliens working for $2/hour you would be LOSING money doing a full paint job for that price.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
i'll say it again, because first hand results (both mine and the person who posted earlier) say that maaco paint jobs, for the daily driver just looking to have a decent paint job in basic auto colors, can last decades with proper care. maaco paint jobs range exactly where we have been indicating, 500-1500.

by the way, it's not a bad thing that i called you a paint snob, it's a good thing. you are looking for a level of detail and depth in an auto finish that most people in a daily driver situation just aren't necessarily looking for.

and i don't know what $800 an hour staff is painting your car, but a nice paint job from a reputable body shop takes 1-3 days labor tops. at 8 hours a day, that's 24 hours (assuming you use one of the understaffed or undertrained shops that takes a full 3 days) which at a going rate of about $60 per hour labor, would run you 1440 plus paint.

my point is, if you are paying $2000 for a basic paint job and clear coat (not the absolutely top of the line, but with a decent clear coat and prep) at an average body shop (NOT a custom house geared toward show cars and restorations), you are getting a good bend over or the staff is so few or under-trained that you probably don't want that paint job.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
DerFlosser

I guess that we can agree to disagree....just don't think of me when that Maaco paint clear starts to peel off.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
I guess that we can agree to disagree....just don't think of me when that Maaco paint clear starts to peel off.
agreed, and I'm sure we won't hear anything form you when some 14 year old keys your 30,000 dollar paint job at the mall, and then insurance covers 1500

supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #23
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
agreed, and I'm sure we won't hear anything form you when some 14 year old keys your 30,000 dollar paint job at the mall, and then insurance covers 1500

Well...it does take some brains to avoid things like this. I would never drive the SWC or the BMW to the mall because there are jealous, smartass 14yr olds such as yourself that would key such cars. The difference between between me and you is that my cars are properly insured so, although a headache, I am covered.

BUT....if your car was keyed...I am sure that you'd be happy with $200 so you could get yourself a world-class Macco job.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Well...it does take some brains to avoid things like this. I would never drive the SWC or the BMW to the mall because there are jealous, smartass 14yr olds such as yourself that would key such cars. The difference between between me and you is that my cars are properly insured so, although a headache, I am covered.

BUT....if your car was keyed...I am sure that you'd be happy with $200 so you could get yourself a world-class Macco job.
yes I'm 14, that's why I'm on a forum for my yaris... that I drive... Now I see that mighty brain power you were talking about.

So you have 2 cars you can't take anywhere because you spent too much money on the paint job AND you're either paying an extra grand+ a year in insurance just for your paint, or it WON'T be covered by insurance... But you talk down to people who get by just fine spending 100 dollars a year max on paint, and can take their car anywhere they want.... mmmmmmmk
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
DerFlosser

2 cars? Who said anything about 2? I have 6 cars that I can't take to the mall.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Realistically you can get the work he wants done for under a grand. Its a light fade. All they are going to do is prep (scuff up) the clear, spray the fade he wants and reclear the car. Not a full respray. No jams, no engine bay, nothing else. And i'm pretty sure all parts are going to stay on the car for the paint job. So he can easily get it done for that price. The work wont be top notch, or show quality for the price. But there is no reason to come on here and "Brag" about the 6 cars you cant take the the mall, or your dads 30k paintjob. Honestly, no one cares about the cars your dad has, and so on so forth. So how about you post something helpful or gtfo ;-)
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #27
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
^Ass clown. Why are you on a Yaris forum if you own 6 show cars? I smell BS. Either way, your postings make you sound like a douche.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Maaco has the "presidential service" which is a step above the cheapest paint job for 250 dollars...

I'm pretty sure they would do a bumper for 30 or 40, you got bent over alex.
The Maaco paint is fine for a DD, but you'll get a better job if you do as much prep work yourself as possible. Despite all the comments to the contrary, I have seen a number of good paint jobs that lasted well from Maaco for under $1000. I've also seen a few crappy jobs, but they were the $199 cheap-o on a crappy car,a nd they didnt want to pay for proper prep.

As for the idea that you can get a bumper done for $30-40, that's not close. The cheapest you can get in for is about $150, no matter the size of the job. That's what the booth time and equipment set-up/cleaning justifies charging, even if its only a spoiler. The amount of paint and the size of the vehicle is almost irrelevant. that's why a same-color respray can be done so cheap if you avoid door jambs, hoods and trunks. those require quite a bit more labor than just sanding and spraying large, flat surfaces.

If you do go the Maaco (or similar) budget route, opt for the upgraded packages, or even spring for the 2-stage. Its worth it.
Also, ask around: different shops have vastly different reputations. I have a Maaco in south Dallas that is known to have a really good product because the shop foreman runs a tight ship. I also know of another in town that screws up jobs all the time and has to re-paint frequently. The good shops will have a reputation.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #29
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
gotta agree with ozmdd on this one!!! that's great you have so many great cars in your garage, but not all of us have pockets that deep. personally, i opted for more school and a cheaper yet still reliable car (yaris)

btw, with so many show cars... why are you driving a yaris??? surely someone of your likes should be driving a Bugatti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugatti-veyron-lake-crash-01.jpg (77.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #30
DerFlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfiend View Post
Realistically you can get the work he wants done for under a grand. Its a light fade. All they are going to do is prep (scuff up) the clear, spray the fade he wants and reclear the car. Not a full respray. No jams, no engine bay, nothing else. And i'm pretty sure all parts are going to stay on the car for the paint job. So he can easily get it done for that price. The work wont be top notch, or show quality for the price. But there is no reason to come on here and "Brag" about the 6 cars you cant take the the mall, or your dads 30k paintjob. Honestly, no one cares about the cars your dad has, and so on so forth. So how about you post something helpful or gtfo ;-)
Your post is very realistic.....just a simple light fade, you know....scuff and re-clear the whole car. That's a simple and easy thing to do in a few hours. Keep believing yourself. It's jambs by the way...not jams. I think that those are shorts. I don't need to brag about anything...I was just busting supmet's balls. How about you get over yourself and maybe you can somehow 'buy' yourself a clue.

I am no different than anybody else....I still need reliable daily transportation that goods on fuel so I drive and own a Yaris. Nothing wrong with that I hope.

And why would I want a Bugatti Veyron? Some of the engineering is interesting to me but I would never buy one even if I was FILTHY rich. I would buy a real car like a 288GTO or something along those lines.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
counterfiend
Banned

Ahh, i love when people that have nothing else to say start to pick on grammer. Your a jackass, plan and simple, and im pretty sure no one really cares about your opinion.

Has a good day now, ya hear?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #32
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Eh... just get a vinyl wrap. It'll be guaranteed for 5 to 7 years for a full wrap, and cost about $2k for one fully digitally printed to wrap the Yaris including the rear windows most places with dot-matrix mesh so you can still see out from the inside a fair bit like those ad-wrapped buses.

And I say that as I looked into that before settling on my die-cut single-color vinyl sides instead for $200.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:48 AM   #33
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Ahh, i love when people that have nothing else to say start to pick on grammer. Your a jackass, plan and simple, and im pretty sure no one really cares about your opinion.

Has a good day now, ya hear?
I'm a firm believer that if you're going to correct grammar you should, in fact, use proper grammar yourself while doing so (unless you are being sarcastic like counterfiend seems to be).

you has a good day now to :-)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #34
DerFlosser

Quote:
Ahh, i love when people that have nothing else to say start to pick on grammer.
If I am a jackass....god only knows what that makes you. A few tiers lower than the bottom of the totem pole I guess. You have already proved to know nothing about paintwork...so, not knowing how to spell "jambs" is just icing on the Walmart idiot cake.

I'll have myself a FANTASTIC day, thanks!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #35
counterfiend
Banned

No it means I could car less about grammar and spelling Nazi's on the internet. And i'm pretty sure my stock paint looks better then your 10k paint job.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #36
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Your post is very realistic.....just a simple light fade, you know....scuff and re-clear the whole car. That's a simple and easy thing to do in a few hours. Keep believing yourself. It's jambs by the way...not jams. I think that those are shorts. I don't need to brag about anything...I was just busting supmet's balls. How about you get over yourself and maybe you can somehow 'buy' yourself a clue.

I am no different than anybody else....I still need reliable daily transportation that goods on fuel so I drive and own a Yaris. Nothing wrong with that I hope.

And why would I want a Bugatti Veyron? Some of the engineering is interesting to me but I would never buy one even if I was FILTHY rich. I would buy a real car like a 288GTO or something along those lines.
How is a Veyron not a "real car like a 288GTO"? Thats absurd.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote