Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #91
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Blah, guess I will just mix it around, I felt as if higher octane give me better milage. and manual did said use as low as 87. So guess I'll be switching back and fourth, what could be the harm, right?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #92
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
no, not really i agree cars could adjust for lower octane by puttin in less gas per shot. but the car wont make any more power just because u put higher octane in.
p2filz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #93
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz
no, not really i agree cars could adjust for lower octane by puttin in less gas per shot. but the car wont make any more power just because u put higher octane in.
Will better spark plugs help. I've been using those quad platinum ones on my other cars and they seem to give it more get up and go. NOt sure about the gas milage.

Last edited by foober; 02-21-2006 at 11:04 AM.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #94
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Blah, guess I will just mix it around, I felt as if higher octane give me better milage. and manual did said use as low as 87. So guess I'll be switching back and fourth, what could be the harm, right?
There should be no harm in switching back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2filz
You are mistaken. The ECU does the adjusting by retarding timing so that no knocking happens. When you put a higher octane in, the ECU can advance timing to take advantage of the better gas for better performance.

Their is a reason all testing is done on 93 octane gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
Will better spark plugs help. I've been using those quad titanium ones on my other cars and they seem to give it more get up and go. NOt sure about the gas milage.
Better spark plugs will help, but I read somewhere that Toyota recommends against using titanium and platinum spark plugs in the Yaris for some reason.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #95
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3 door, Bayou Blue
The engines management system is designed to give best fuel economy, lowest emissions etc. on low octane fuel.There are certain parameters programmed within the ecu for timing and fuel delivery. The set parameters will not continually advance the timing when better fuel is added.The timing will only advance to a point designed for low octane fuel. If any pinging or knocking is detected, timing will be retarded to prevent engine damage. Timing will only increase to the max that is allowed within the program. Hence why we can buy and replace prom chips that will allow more timing and more fuel delivery. An engine that is tuned for low octane fuel will not add any power or increased fuel economy or increased durability etc. etc. with higher octane fuel. You simply are wasting your money. Cheapest/easiest mods for power and increased economy are letting the engine breath easier. ie: better flowing air intake and exhaust.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #96
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I believe that the ECU will advance to a point where it can take advantage of 93 octane fuel.

If that was not the case, why on earth would manufacturers give hp ratings and fuel economy ratings and make sure you know that the car was tested with 93 octane fuel?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #97
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Is the yaris designed to run optimum on 93 octane fuel? My manual says 87 to 91. I do not think you would see any noticable difference between 87 and 93 in the Yaris. It isn't that much of a difference money wise anyways at the pumps. If a person feels better using 91 or 93 go for it, see if there is a difference. Personally until I get a performance chip, I will stick with 87. We are getting ripped as it is at the pumps.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #98
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

I don't know if it will actually make any difference, I'm just commenting that the manufacturers seem to bend over backwards to make sure we know all tests are run using 93 octane fuel.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #99
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Wonder if there is some sorta tie-in with the oil companies? Make people think " Gee maybe I should use 93 too" Maybe the car manufactorors really are getting some gains from it, I certainly am not an expert, but everything that I and a lot of others know about engines points to no advantages for this application. Hey, I guess try it for yourselves, my only problem is that I hate to see people get burned more than we already are. This is my final answer.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #100
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

lol, you could be right. I wouldn't be surprised if the automobile manufacturers get a kickback from the oil companies, or they would've been sincere in finding alternatives to oil.

I prolly will test it when I finally do get my Yaris, which will hopefully be in May or June, but I don't have the money to preorder one, so we shall see.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #101
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

So far... I just switched back to 87... from 92.

But I did a lot less highway and much more city on 92 tank, so it's really hard to say. I did not notice any "significant" gain in milage on 92, not as much as my last car. Both roughly 560~80 clicks.

And yeah, like I mentioned before, when I went back to the dealer, they are tryin' to make that chant in your ears "high octane, high octane....."
Old 02-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #102
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
And yeah, like I mentioned before, when I went back to the dealer, they are tryin' to make that chant in your ears "high octane, high octane....."
You mean the tech ppl in the dealer or the sales man? The sales man knows nothing about cars, they don't even know what the real meaning of horsepower is!
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #103
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
You mean the tech ppl in the dealer or the sales man? The sales man knows nothing about cars, they don't even know what the real meaning of horsepower is!
LOL! I've met sales people that know nothing even about the model history of the cars they sell.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #104
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
Actually it was the tech guys. They hosted a seminar for all new car buyer or somethin', I went there for free coffee. And that's where I heard we 'might' have to bring our new Yaris back for recall. Again, not sure what for, when or anything yet.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:03 AM   #105
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Latest tank: About 37.99 miles/imp.galon or about 32.75 miles/US galon or about 13.47 kms/liter or about 7.424 liters per 100 kms. My results have been quite consistent(=no improvement).
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:19 AM   #106
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Almost identical swng!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #107
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
swng and yariman, is that with an automatic or manual transmission.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #108
yariman
Speed Wrenchin'

Mine is an auto