Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #145
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
you spilled it? haha sorry.
was it alot that spilled?

was it empty when you went to fill it?
Thanks for the question. Only a few drops were actually wasted because I watched very carefully. Very soon after the last fuel gauge bar began to blink, I refilled. So the tank was not empty. I was able to put in 41.593l. I GUESS that if you do fill to the top, you can squeeze in a couple of liters more than the manual specified 42l. However, let me repeat that there have been advices against so doing. That is why I said that I may not do it again.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #146
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Very impressive 185.3 for first fuel. Max I have got is near 130 clicks.

I bet you guys answer that question already, but what's the max Litre when you guys filled. from nearly empty, let's say. I have filled 40.8 Litres before and the last gauge bar was flashin' like crazy. In manual it said its 42. I figure 42-40.8, it's like I have less than a 2L coke in there.... haha.
Well, I guess I have not had too many traffic jams. If you fill to the top carefully, you can squeeze in at least a couple of liters more than the manual specified 42l. But please see my last post and some previous posts in this thread speaking against so doing.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #147
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
understood. Thank you.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #148
mfpc

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpc
Yello - got 460 KMs on my shiny new Silver 06 RS 5 door with the auto (and occasionally I've been enjoying the rev happy engine quite a bit I must say...)

460KM's and like less than 10 KM's ago the third bar tripped so I am left with two bars on the fuel guage.. I don't think my autotrans is hurting the economy at this point.

RC
542 KM's is when i lost my nerve to fill it up.

39.36 Litres into the tank

My oh my I have never seen an Automatic Transmission car achieve fuel economy like that! Maybe the people on the forum here with the stick are too rev happy? I can't imagine that this being my first tank of fuel in the car I'll see numbers much worse than that.

They say it gets better after the moving parts in the car 'breaks in'? WHOO HOO!!

About the driver/terrain - Total mixed driving, lots of city, lots of rural highway... Its Waterloo/Wellington township so gently rolling hills everywhere... I've just gotten the car, so its not being thrashed within an inch of its life, but its not being babied either - after all I've been showing it off

1st tank = 7.3 L/100 KM's or 39 MPG... I think thats about fair - love the car!

rc
Old 03-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #149
swng

I agree with you mfpc. In the case of the Yaris, the auto transmission does not hurt fuel economy too much. I also have a silver RS auto and I enjoy more or less the same fuel economy as you do i.e. close to 40 miles per imperial gallon. Please keep posting your numbers.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #150
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
That is great news. We need more people to say they are getting this type of fuel economy.

If you are please post it.

There are WAY too many people whining about getting 30 or so MPG.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #151
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
The fact is that any car is capable of getting crappy mileage if you drive it a certain way in certain conditions. Our Prius averages about 50mpg per tank, but if you drive the car really hard you can easily get 40mpg. One of the nice things about the Prius is that the information system in it allows you to easily see what behaviors effect mileage. And it's become very clear how much even how having proper tire pressure can effect your mileage.

In short, I won't really trust anyone's numbers but my own on this one.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #152
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
The fact is that any car is capable of getting crappy mileage if you drive it a certain way in certain conditions. Our Prius averages about 50mpg per tank, but if you drive the car really hard you can easily get 40mpg. One of the nice things about the Prius is that the information system in it allows you to easily see what behaviors effect mileage. And it's become very clear how much even how having proper tire pressure can effect your mileage.

In short, I won't really trust anyone's numbers but my own on this one.
That is all true, but up until those posts I don't think I have seen anyone stating that they've been getting the advertised mileage.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #153
swng

Got 400+km with 4 fuel gauge bars remaining.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #154
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Got 400+km with 4 fuel gauge bars remaining.
how ?!!!!!!?!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #155
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
how ?!!!!!!?!!!!
Thanks for the question.
Against some friendly advices, I have filled literally to the top(in fact a few drops have spilled to the ground) and gotten 183+km for the first fuel gauge bar. Then the next bar disappeared at around 270 km, the third at around 335 and the fourth stayed alive until about 410. When the fourth was gone, four bars remained.
For this tank, I have been driving about 70% of the time on highways with one passenger, plus a coupe of bags of sports gears. The A/C was off all the time and the windows closed completely. Tire pressure has been adjusted to one or two psi above the manual specified figure in order to err only on the safe side. The weather has been relatively warm but windy(may be the wind has helped) and I have not encoutered too many traffic congestions. The car now has around 4,000 kms on the odometer and should have therefore broken in a bit. I seldom drive aggressively.
This is the first time it happens to me and I may not be able to repeat the same. Please note also that the figures are round figures and I am only writing from memory. However, it is definately true that I have gotten more than 400 km from the first four bars. The trip odometer now reads 466 km and three bars are still there. One bar(the fifth) will be gone, I presume, in a matter of a few km but the range before the last bar blinks is likely to be 600 km, more or less.
I think the key factor leading to this is that I have overfilled so that I have gotten about 60 km more than usual for the first bar, that's about four liters' range. One may say that it is impossible to squeeze in four liters more than the manual specified 42 liters. However, it may actually be possible and this may be the most sensible explanation for what I am getting.

Last edited by swng; 03-26-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #156
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

To be perfectly honest, I would not trust those gauge way too much like I would depends my life on it. Most of the time when my last gauge start flashing, I will try refill it as soon as I could. Putting in 10 bucks or so. Roughly 15L or so, more or less. It will show as if I got half a tank! (Yeah, right, 10 bucks, I wish) then those 3 bars will be gone within 130~140 clicks. And gone back to flashing again. Of courze, I have to bring it up that most of my driving is in City. Probably 75 City / 25 Hwy.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #157
swng

You have a valid point Ziv. That is why long term average figures are more reliable than records taken from just one or two tanks of driving. I hope fellow members, including you, will keep posting their numbers here for a long term so that we can all have an idea how well (or otherwise) our cars can do.
Regarding your observation about the fuel gauge's showing you a half full tank after you have put in only about 15 liters, I think it is not too far away from what is reasonable because when your last bar begins to blink, there should be no less than 5 liters of gasoline still remaining in your tank. My estimate is based on that the 42 liters of fuel that a full tank can hold is represented by 8 bars, hence each bar should represent an average of 5+ liters.(I use the word "average" because I believe all bars do not represent the same amount of gas in the tank.) Therefore, if on top of the 5 remaining liters you add 15 more, you will get about 20 litres in your tank which should be represented by slightly more than 3.5 bars. As half a bar cannot be shown, the gauge will show you 4 bars i.e. half a tank.
Having said that, I still fully support your view that one should not trust the accuracy of the gauge too much. When it comes to driving, it makes sense to be cautious and conservative.

Last edited by swng; 03-27-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #158
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

It is possible to learn exactly how far each tank can take you though.

I know If I push it my Saab can take me about 420 or so miles. That is almost completely running the tank dry.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #159
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
You have a valid point Ziv. That is why long term average figures are more reliable than records taken from just one or two tanks of driving. I hope fellow members, including you, will keep posting their numbers here for a long term so that we can all have an idea how well (or otherwise) our cars can do.
Regarding your observation about the fuel gauge's showing you a half full tank after you have put in only about 15 liters, I think it is not too far away from what is reasonable because when your last bar begins to blink, there should be no less than 5 liters of gasoline still remaining in your tank. My estimate is based on that the 42 liters of fuel that a full tank can hold is represented by 8 bars, hence each bar should represent an average of 5+ liters.(I use the word "average" because I believe all bars do not represent the same amount of gas in the tank.) Therefore, if on top of the 5 remaining liters you add 15 more, you will get about 20 litres in your tank which should be represented by slightly more than 3.5 bars. As half a bar cannot be shown, the gauge will show you 4 bars i.e. half a tank.
Having said that, I still fully support your view that one should not trust the accuracy of the gauge too much. When it comes to driving, it makes sense to be cautious and conservative.
Great way to analyze it, swug. I have never thought of breaking it down to rougly each gauge by Litres. It certainly make more sense. Thank you very much for your observation.

I will keep on posting my number as the milage increase. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #160
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
It is possible to learn exactly how far each tank can take you though.

I know If I push it my Saab can take me about 420 or so miles. That is almost completely running the tank dry.
That is quite a good range why? I believe you maintain your car well.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #161
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Great way to analyze it, swug. I have never thought of breaking it down to rougly each gauge by Litres. It certainly make more sense. Thank you very much for your observation.

I will keep on posting my number as the milage increase. Thanks again.
Thanks Ziv. Your contributions make this thread meaningful.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 AM   #162
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
That is quite a good range why? I believe you maintain your car well.
It is decent, the tank holds about 17 gallons, and it gets about 26.5 mpg at this time. I did have it getting around 30 but that took a ton of patience, which I don't always have.