Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Great Lakes
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #145
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
^ Yeah, I live in a town of about 20,000 people. Little place called Dover. I visit Columbus/Cleveland/Pittsburgh often though.

And I'm creeping up on 90K miles, but I drive 110 miles/day to work and back so it's understandable. :)
Wow! And I live ten miles from work, and to me, that's too far! Everyone has their own level of tolerances when it comes to commuting, though. Soon I'll be moving, and I'll only be 2.5 miles from work downtown. And I'll be taking the bus, since my bus passes will be free to me, paid by my employer. So, pretty soon, the Yaris will only be used once a week for grocery getting, and I'll no longer use it for commuting. So I think I'm going to have my Yaris forever, at the rate I'll be driving soon.

When part of Columbus do you typically visit?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #146
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Usually the campus area, around 11th Street, or Gahanna. Have friends and family in both places.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #147
Hamster

That's cool! I'm not too familiar with Gahanna, though. I know Northwest Columbus (Hilliard, Dublin) best. I'll soon be moving to the Grandview area....right around Fifth Ave/Third Ave. Don't expect to see my Yaris on the streets, though....My new rental comes with a garage. And thank goodness for that. I forgot to mention, I'm moving in part because my lovely upstanding neighbors keyed up the driver's side of my car. I absolutely had to move to someplace with a garage so that nobody could hurt my baby again. After a long wait, I can now finally get damaged panels refinished/repainted. Glad I have comprehensive insurance, but I'm still going to be out my deductible.

P.S. Never live in an apartment complex no matter how nice. I found this out the hard way. Nothing but trash who doesn't respect your stuff. I don't know what the point is of keying, of all things, a Yaris.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #148
33OH

^ This is why I live in a small town and commute. I don't have to worry about things like that, hell we leave our doors unlocked 3/4 of the time.

But sorry to hear about it! Not cool when people can't learn to respect each other and their property. =/
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #149
Hamster

Forgot to mention, I'm a female. It's the couple that lives next to me who keyed up the Yaris. I mean, I know it was them, but I can't prove it. I'm fairly certain that it was the dumb guy. Yeah, that's a real manly thing to do....Vandalize a girl's subcompact for no reason. Those two are nothing but worthless losers. They apparently graduated from OSU (based on all the alumni stickers they have on their Hondas), but they're working as bartenders. As a result, they come home in the middle of the night, and that's when my car was attacked. They're complete cowards, since they keyed my car when everyone else was sleeping. The only tiny bit of consolation I have is that I'm better off than them, money-wise and career-wise.

I sure wish I could live far outside the city. But I just don't have the patience to commute that far! Do the country roads you drive on get real nasty in the winter? If so, how does the Yaris hold up?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #150
33OH

Aw, that is very lame then, especially since you're a female. And I'm glad you're taking the high road on it and just leaving the situation by moving out. As much as it hurts me to say it because I love cars, "it's just a car."

I use snow tires in the winter, but if I didn't commute over 100 miles per day I wouldn't need to as it handles pretty good in the winter. The roads do get pretty nasty, but I do live inside city limits, actually a few blocks from downtown, just not in a big city.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #151
Hamster

Might be just a car, but it's still the most expensive thing that I own. No interest in buying a house....I attempted that earlier this year, and then I was stunned how everyone (banks, realtors, etc.) were trying to rip me off. They just presumed that I was too stupid to figure out what they were doing. Screw that, I'll stick to renting. By the way, I'm not moving just because of the car. When the losers come home at night, they talk and make a lot of noise outside. Even though my townhouse has two bedrooms, I'm stuck sleeping in the finished basement just so I can get uninterrupted sleep. And given that radon is such a problem in central Ohio, I'm not sure if sleeping in the basement is such a great idea long-term. Anyway, my situation should improve greatly very soon.

Anyway, sounds like you have an easier time driving in the winter than I do. Columbus is terrible when it comes to plowing snow. Not that I've ever come close to running off the road with the Yaris, but I have slid on ice before. I still have the crappy OEM Bridgestones on. Columbus roads after a snowfall + crappy OEM tires = bad combination. I think I'll look into getting new tires right before this coming winter. Any recommendations?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #152
33OH

^ Hankook Optimo H727's are awesome in the snow and are great overall. They're a general all-season that get 100,000 miles on them. I'm running them now actually.

And I bought a house here last year as I don't plan on ever moving out of the area. But we get more snow then you get down there, but up here there's not really traffic so you just take your time and cruise through the snow. Yeah, I've slid but there's not much around to slid into. :)

And yes, alot of us have the radon issues. My county is actually #1 in the state for cancer rates at the moment and one of the top counties for radon.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #153
yariscupcar

Drives: '08 Yaris hatch
I've had my Yaris for a while now, but new to Yaris World. I want to start setting up my Yaris for Auto-X & track. Hello Yaris World forums. (from Dayton)
yariscupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #154
33OH

^ Welcome!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #155
yariscupcar

Drives: '08 Yaris hatch
thanks haha
yariscupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #156
yariSB86

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Yaris LB
I'm near Avon Lake. I'd be happy to do a meet up. Spring time would be awesome, and right around the corner too!
yariSB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #157
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
^agreed should have one again

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #158
33OH

I'm planning on meeting up with vten this weekend in Columbus if anyone is down, thinking on Sunday. Weather is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny so far!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #159
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Vten is in !!

see you soon Ryan
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #160
33OH

Haha, I'd hope you are in. Can't wait Tan!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #161
Dave55

Drives: 2008 Black Pearl Yaris
Hello from Y'town

New to the forum and the Yaris.

What a great little car!!!

I've seen a few Yarii around the Youngstown area, anybody on the forum?
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #162
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
should I drive the yaris or the " green car" i sent you Ryan ?
vten is offline   Reply With Quote