Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
T.Yaris07

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Hole by Engine Coolant Cap/Best Cylinder to purchase?

Hello All,

I am a novice when it comes to car maintenance and needed some advice/assistance. I recently moved closer to the mountains (Bear Mountain, NY) and my car was not as prepared as I would have liked for the new region. One of my c̶y̶l̶i̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ Spark Plugs began to malfunction (replaced it) but the same problem happened again. Of the course, the check engine light came on and I had 13 codes that popped up when it was scanned (a few were repetitive). On top of all of that my car also got a hole by the engine coolant cap (Sad Face). I humbly asking what would be the best type of c̶y̶l̶i̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ Spark Plug(s) to purchase (I travel from Bear Mountain to NYC 1-2x a week, about 120 miles both ways), what it is the name of the piece that I need to replace and what would be a reasonable price range to spend on it, also any advice about driving an 07 4dr Yaris by the mountains. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200619_1932586.jpg (119.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200619_1932332.jpg (108.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_2056562.jpg (47.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_2056598.jpg (62.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_2057063.jpg (79.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_2057351.jpg (67.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_2057398.jpg (61.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200617_2057437.jpg (87.6 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by T.Yaris07; 06-24-2020 at 04:47 AM.
T.Yaris07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I would start by finding out what that white stuff all over your radiator cap outlet is. That certainly doesn't look like coolant to me. Is it a corrosive substance? I've also never seen a hole in the outlet that leads to your overflow tank. Given what's circulating around in your engine, it's no wonder the P0117 code appeared. Your sensor is likely damaged or contaminated. I'm going to guess that your engine has overheated more than once?

Have you checked your engine oil? What does that look like? Is it milky or frothy?

You can't replace a cylinder per se. If you have a damaged cylinder, you either generally have to rebuild the engine by honing the cylinder, putting in new piston rings etc. It's usually cheaper to replace the engine with a used one.

The ABS code is fairly common on Yari. The connector pins at the wheel speed sensor corrode and contact is lost, setting a code.

I don't know what would be setting off your MAF code.

There are no special requirements for mountain driving in the Yaris.

My advice would be to stop driving the car immediately and get it to a mechanic. I'd be inclined to take it to Toyota at this point.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
T.Yaris07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I would start by finding out what that white stuff all over your radiator cap outlet is. That certainly doesn't look like coolant to me. Is it a corrosive substance? I've also never seen a hole in the outlet that leads to your overflow tank. Given what's circulating around in your engine, it's no wonder the P0117 code appeared. Your sensor is likely damaged or contaminated. I'm going to guess that your engine has overheated more than once?

Have you checked your engine oil? What does that look like? Is it milky or frothy?

You can't replace a cylinder per se. If you have a damaged cylinder, you either generally have to rebuild the engine by honing the cylinder, putting in new piston rings etc. It's usually cheaper to replace the engine with a used one.

The ABS code is fairly common on Yari. The connector pins at the wheel speed sensor corrode and contact is lost, setting a code.

I don't know what would be setting off your MAF code.

There are no special requirements for mountain driving in the Yaris.

My advice would be to stop driving the car immediately and get it to a mechanic. I'd be inclined to take it to Toyota at this point.

@06YarisRS: Hello and thank you for your response. I recently got an oil change (within a month) thinking that was the initial problem because the car was a bit sluggish (the engine was making funny noises and was losing power while driving, I assumed it was because of the various slopes and hills I'm consistently driving around now).

Yes, my engine has overheated a few times though I didn't realize it was overheated as the cold engine symbol doesn't turn off or pops back on while I am driving. I naturally just waited and eventually try to diagnose the problem.

The white substance actually appeared a few days ago while I was driving and had to pull over due to white smoke coming out of the engine. When I popped it open I saw water dripping from the top of the hood and noticed the hole in the outlet as you mentioned.

I also would like to apologize instead of the cylinder I meant to say spark plugs.

Once again thank you.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I am going to speculate that you have a blown head gasket. I say that with reservation because the frothy appearing substance on your radiator is nearly pure white. White smoke coming from a tailpipe often means that engine is ingesting coolant. You suspect that you've overheated a couple/few times. I still can't explain the hole in your radiator overflow outlet/inlet. Can you pull your oil dipstick and take a picture of it? If it's at all milky, that would suggest coolant in your oil. Maybe also removed your radiator cap and take a pic of that as well as down inside the radiator filler neck. 'Frothiness' there would suggest oil in your coolant. Given all of your symptoms, it doesn't sound good. That said, the 1.5L engine is very tough. Again, I would not drive the car anymore. It needs to go to a mechanic. It may be salvageable, but more driving is likely to be a death sentence. It's possible that a good cleaning, new fluids (in their proper locations) might fix things. Is there a possibility that whomever did your service put the wrong fluids in the wrong places? That's definitely happened before.

I think I ran Denso Iridium 3324 spark plugs in both my 2006 and 2008 Yari.

Edit, I keep looking back at the picture of the white stuff on your radiator tubing. It almost looks crusty, like salt. Is it crusty and dried? I know it sounds ridiculous, but could someone have put salt water in the cooling system?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Zedicus

Drives: scion xb
has the coolant ever been changed?

the deposits appear to be from hard water, not exactly salt but will do the same thing. and they can eat aluminum and plastic.

even if it is not hard water that was put into the coolant system, if the coolant has never been changed, the coolant that keeps the water from becoming corrosive will break down over time and the water will slowly eat metal and some types of plastic.

the 1nz i just got done taking apart had basically 0 maintenance in 100,000 miles and the area between the head and block looked like swiss cheese. a straight edge laying on it had more light coming through the gaps than a kids night light.

NOTE: climate has some affect on this. Kansas has WILD temp swings and this causes condensation and break down of chemicals more quickly. a car out here will have NO rust or any body issues, but low compression, if the owner never did any maintenance. oil, brake fluid, coolant, gas, will all oxidize and absorb moisture internally and eat the engine from the inside.

also i have replaced a few radiators in my time that looked just like that, they were eaten from the inside where the coolant meats atmosphere due to the issue i described.
Zedicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
T.Yaris07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I am going to speculate that you have a blown head gasket. I say that with reservation because the frothy appearing substance on your radiator is nearly pure white. White smoke coming from a tailpipe often means that engine is ingesting coolant. You suspect that you've overheated a couple/few times. I still can't explain the hole in your radiator overflow outlet/inlet. Can you pull your oil dipstick and take a picture of it? If it's at all milky, that would suggest coolant in your oil. Maybe also removed your radiator cap and take a pic of that as well as down inside the radiator filler neck. 'Frothiness' there would suggest oil in your coolant. Given all of your symptoms, it doesn't sound good. That said, the 1.5L engine is very tough. Again, I would not drive the car anymore. It needs to go to a mechanic. It may be salvageable, but more driving is likely to be a death sentence. It's possible that a good cleaning, new fluids (in their proper locations) might fix things. Is there a possibility that whomever did your service put the wrong fluids in the wrong places? That's definitely happened before.

I think I ran Denso Iridium 3324 spark plugs in both my 2006 and 2008 Yari.

Edit, I keep looking back at the picture of the white stuff on your radiator tubing. It almost looks crusty, like salt. Is it crusty and dried? I know it sounds ridiculous, but could someone have put salt water in the cooling system?
Hello, I apologize for such a delayed response. I was able to figure out the name of the piece (radiator cap outlet).... No the only person who deals with my car outside of me is my mechanic who I had for years and he never did anything like that. When he came to look at it out he was trying to figure out why it was white as well. I took some pictures of the inside so you can see (and the dipstick as well). Thanks for the advice on the Spark Plugs as well. Also thank you for your response it means a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOTABLE-00171.jpg (271.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg NOTABLE-00172.jpg (245.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200630_2012423.jpg (94.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200630_2012361.jpg (83.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200626_1855594.jpg (124.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
T.Yaris07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedicus View Post
has the coolant ever been changed?

the deposits appear to be from hard water, not exactly salt but will do the same thing. and they can eat aluminum and plastic.

even if it is not hard water that was put into the coolant system, if the coolant has never been changed, the coolant that keeps the water from becoming corrosive will break down over time and the water will slowly eat metal and some types of plastic.

the 1nz i just got done taking apart had basically 0 maintenance in 100,000 miles and the area between the head and block looked like swiss cheese. a straight edge laying on it had more light coming through the gaps than a kids night light.

NOTE: climate has some affect on this. Kansas has WILD temp swings and this causes condensation and break down of chemicals more quickly. a car out here will have NO rust or any body issues, but low compression, if the owner never did any maintenance. oil, brake fluid, coolant, gas, will all oxidize and absorb moisture internally and eat the engine from the inside.

also i have replaced a few radiators in my time that looked just like that, they were eaten from the inside where the coolant meats atmosphere due to the issue i described.
Hello, apologize for the delayed response. Thank you for sharing that information with me. I wasn't aware of what you wrote and must be more diligent in my upkeep and maintenance.

Tags
2007, cylinder misfire, engine coolant, mountains