Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
casliupeng

Drives: Toyota yaris sedan 4 door
Does anyone have some idea on my A/C repair?

Hi everyone,
I checked my A/C from a repair store several days ago, and the maintenance guy told me that the hose was unplug by somebody and he did not know why the personal did this. What the maintenance guy recommend is to replug a new hose and replace the condenser, and then do the check to see which part is not working. However, the fees are about 600 bucks so I decide to repair by my own. Does anyone have some experience in checking A/C before? Could you give me some advice (Including which tools I need to check A/C, what procedures for check, what need I pay attention)? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2737.JPG (384.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2738.JPG (456.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2739.JPG (377.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2741.JPG (313.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2742.JPG (456.3 KB, 69 views)
casliupeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Its either your Discharge Line or Liquid Line. Its hard to tell by looking at these angles, what year and model do you have? Either way, this is something I wouldn't want to mess with given the toxicity of the fumes can kill you if you breath them in. You're missing that line.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
casliupeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Its either your Discharge Line or Liquid Line. Its hard to tell by looking at these angles, what year and model do you have? Either way, this is something I wouldn't want to mess with given the toxicity of the fumes can kill you if you breath them in. You're missing that line.
2012 Toyota Yaris. It seems that it's the low pressure hoses. Is there some good machines that you recommend do detect which part is not working after I connect the missing hose? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
you need to find out if compressor is working before spending any amount of dollars...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
casliupeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
you need to find out if compressor is working before spending any amount of dollars...
Thanks, how could I check that by myself? Does there need some detect machines? Given my hoses are disconnected, could I turn on A/C to check by my eyes?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Definitely looks like you are missing a hose.

Tools that you'll need to start is an a/c manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump. I bought mine for just over $100 on eBay. They're cheap but fine for infrequent use of a shade tree mechanic. Just make sure you have vacuum pump oil for the pump when you get it.

I've discharged and refilled my a/c system in my car 3x this way and had no issues. Also checked the pressure/topped up refrigerant in my Vibe to make sure it was all good.

You can use the vacuum pump to check if it holds vacuum and if it doesn't than you have a leak. Do this before you refill it. Also if you're refilling your system, a quick tip is to add in a uv dye so if you ever have a leak down the road you'll know exactly where it is and can just buy that part instead of guessing
Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #7
casliupeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Definitely looks like you are missing a hose.

Tools that you'll need to start is an a/c manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump. I bought mine for just over $100 on eBay. They're cheap but fine for infrequent use of a shade tree mechanic. Just make sure you have vacuum pump oil for the pump when you get it.

I've discharged and refilled my a/c system in my car 3x this way and had no issues. Also checked the pressure/topped up refrigerant in my Vibe to make sure it was all good.

You can use the vacuum pump to check if it holds vacuum and if it doesn't than you have a leak. Do this before you refill it. Also if you're refilling your system, a quick tip is to add in a uv dye so if you ever have a leak down the road you'll know exactly where it is and can just buy that part instead of guessing
Many thanks for your detailed response:)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by casliupeng View Post
Thanks, how could I check that by myself? Does there need some detect machines? Given my hoses are disconnected, could I turn on A/C to check by my eyes?
it will not turn on because the pressure switch will cut the power. i don't know if it's a NC or NO switch. you'd need to figure out how to by-pass it. or, you might be able to run power directly to compressor. you would need to get a wiring diagram for that. you would want to remove the belt before testing. also, i don't know if you'd need to engage the clutch on the compressor to check operation. it's prob easiest to defeat pressure switch(s) and operate from HVAC controls... a NO switch will work if unplugged. a NC switch will need to be jumpered at the connector. check pressure and suction at inlet/outlet. your manifold gauges will be needed for this...
so here is the second person telling you that a manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump is needed to complete a/c repairs.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:20 AM   #9
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
If you wanted to see if the compressor operates, you can jump the relay. That being said, I can't recommend inexperienced guys to be jumping power: Too likely to damage expensive computers.

If you are wanting to get your a/c working, I would suggest replacing the missing suction hose and your dryer, then call a local A/C guy to leak-check and recharge it. I wouldn't be surprised if your compressor was dead from sitting though.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
nope

If you have never done A/C repairs before I would not recommend doing your own repairs unless you have a helper who's done it before. You can only check to see if the clutch engages on/off without the compressor spinning or you'll damage compressor.You really can't check the compressor unless it has Freon/oil in the system or you'll cause damage to the compressor. And you can't just put Freon unless the system is properly flushed and cleaned first. The safety low and high pressure switches are there for a reason. There is a lot of work required in order the get this system back operational. I would recommend taking it to an A/C shop. I just replaced the A/C system myself in my VW new beetle two years ago and it is a lot of work, a lot of steps where things could go wrong and you almost have to start over again. It took me a whole weekend.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote