Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Damsel

Drives: 2017 Toyota Yaris
Question Bought A Used Yaris - Questions

While this isn't my first rodeo with the Toyota Yaris, it is my most recent one. My first car in high school was a 2008 Toyota Yaris with 300k+ miles on it. She was a reliable car, even with her flaws. I decided to buy another one when my Volkswagen pooped out on me within a few months of owning it (the second month I had it I was in the repair shop paying 1k, and again a few months later).
The dealership I bought my Toyota from seemed to know nothing about it (they brought it up for me from another location). I did my own research on the model I was looking for and was a little bit confused with what they had (I tacked it up to 'not enough research'). At the time though I desperately needed a car and it was selling for a good price.
Here I am now a few months later and I still have these unanswered questions, so I decided to come ask the experts.

Here we go:
To start it off, I bought a 2017 Toyota Yaris Hatchback with about 40k miles on it back around Christmas. It did not have a touch screen radio or an automatic key. It has automatic windows and doors though, just no automatic key. I thought both of these features were standard on the 2017 edition. But mine just has a manual key and the radio that older models have.
Also, my salesperson told me that the vehicle was neither an L/LE/SE edition. But to my knowledge, those were the only editions? He said mine was none of those which is why I lacked the features mentioned above. It was also his reasoning as to why the vehicle didn't have the typical L/LE/SE in letters on the back.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but after purchasing the car I had a LOT of problems with the dealership. They were operating under a big brand name, but were TERRIBLE. The car has been great, but I still have unanswered questions.
Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to purchase an automatic key and get a touchscreen added?

Thanks so much in advance everyone!
Damsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
L/LE/SE - It has to be one of those choices. If it has rear disc brakes it is a SE. Otherwise it is a L or LE. Not really sure of the differences between those two trims for a 2017 model. Used to be that L had manual windows and a lower level radio. But for 2017 I thought all trims got the touch screen radio. If you plug your VIN number into Toyota's website I'm sure they will tell you exactly what model it is
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I have a 2017 Yaris L Hatchback and it has the touchscreen radio. I thought this was standard on all Yaris models in 2017? Perhaps a previous owner swapped out the touchscreen for an older radio model?

My doors and windows are automatic, but I have a manual key.

Regarding available trims, I could be wrong, but I thought L/LE/SE were the only available trims.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
Damsel

Drives: 2017 Toyota Yaris
I ran the VIN on Toyota's website and it is indeed a 2017 Toyota Yaris L model. I guess my salesperson was just terrible (no surprise there). How much would it cost to switch a touch screen back in?
Damsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Depends on which touchscreen & who installs it.
DIY I spent less than $200.
Locally by a a aftermarket place it wold have cost another $75.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, 2017 yaris, question