Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Pingouin

Drives: Yaris
Benefit(s) of bee sting aerial?

Hi all,
Could anyone tell me what are the benefits of a bee sting aerial? the reason I asked is because:
* Cosmetic benefit is really subjective. I don't mind my long aerial, and I think it fits better than a shiny metal sticking out of a black base.
* Since it's made to attract attention, it will also attract thieves (although some have some sort of locking mechanism).
* I heard people routinely stating (incorrectly) that since the shaft is shorter, it will generate less drag. This would be correct if they didn't fail to take into consideration that stock aerials have helical ribs which are aimed at breaking down vortices, and hence reduce drag. Bee sting aerials might be shorter, but since they are are revolution parts (I guess they are typically machined on a lathe?), their round (and thicker?) cross section will inherently generate more vortices, hence more drag. One would then need to calculate whether the short/round/thicker shaft results in less total drag than a longer/ribbed shaft (which honestly I doubt).

Am I missing something or am I right that these things are simply "fashion items" while not offering any real benefits?

Last edited by Pingouin; 09-23-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Pingouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If you are referring to the short stubbies...lol, then there are none in my opinion other than looks. Reception is limited in my case but then I don't listen to the radio or use the cassete(sp) player that much anyway. If I could have I would have gone without the sound system as well as the air...but I was thinking about resale (if and when that happens).
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
If you were referring to a short antenna...

I swapped out the shorter rubberized antenna from a Matrix. I only did it because it looks better to me. I could care less if it creates less drag, as I'm pretty sure that in the grand scheme of things, it's not enough to make any difference.

My best guess is that most people do it because they like the looks.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Pingouin

Alright, thanks guys, I had an itch and this confirms it.
And yes, I did mean short antenna, I've seen it called "bee sting" on eBay and thought that was the "official" name.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I tried a shorty (sting) antenna and now I have the shark fin style. Both have noticeably lower reception strength outside of the cities even with a signal booster and filter added.

It is mostly for looks, friends referred to it as my RC car with the stock antenna on it.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
FWIW.....
I tried a few "shorty" anttennas on my Celia including the "Honda S2000"
Non of them equeled the reception of the stock antenna but, I kepted the S2000 on solely because of the looks.

Personally, I kind of like the stock antenna as its get great reception and it is not too long. IMO, it does not look bad at all.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
I think the OEM Matrix antenna cut off maybe 5 or 10 miles of reception as I drive away from a radio station transmitter.

It's about half the length of a Yaris antenna, about as thick as the base of the Yaris one, and it looks like what would be best described as a rubber coated dry wall screw that doesn't end in a point.

Looks good and doesn't kill reception too bad.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I have the OEM Honda S2000 antenna, no complaints and it looks a LOT better!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
I have a shorty antenna. I think the whip antenna adds to the cheeky look of the car. My problem with the stock antenna is that it clunks when I pull into the garage and again when I back out.. The shorty one doesn't seem to have that problem I guess I will deal with the clunking btw the shorty reception blows :(
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #10
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I actually gained reception with the S2000 antenna compared to the OEM Yaris one.

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #11
Pingouin

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm not a radio guy myself anyway, I always listen to a MP3 CD, but lower reception is indeed a point for stock aerial nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009BBPliftback View Post
My problem with the stock antenna is that it clunks when I pull into the garage and again when I back out..
Ah, good point there. I'm looking into buying a house, possibly with a garage, and I didn't think of that. Hmz, definitely one point for the shorty version.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009BBPliftback View Post
I have a shorty antenna. I think the whip antenna adds to the cheeky look of the car. My problem with the stock antenna is that it clunks when I pull into the garage and again when I back out.. The shorty one doesn't seem to have that problem I guess I will deal with the clunking btw the shorty reception blows :(
+1 Had the same problem with mine hitting the garage door. I have a shorty on there now and while the reception is worse, I have no problem listening to the radio when I want to.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote