Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
alexrednose

Drives: yaris 2007 zinc 1.3
driver wing mirror damage and wheel arch scratches

Anyone have any idea the best way to deal with this. I have damage the plastic surround on the driver side plastic edge on the windmirror. It would be crazy to have to get a whole new unit because of this. Is there a way to fix it or to get the plastic surround.

Additionally as you see in the second photo i have scrapped and scratched the metallic paint. Any idea on the cost to get this fixed or if its worth bothering, maybe it could go rusty.
its a 2007 yaris, high millage so i dont want to spend alot. first car too =(

alexrednose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Should just be able to buff this out.

J/K, leaving this one for the experts.
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
alexrednose

Any idea on approximate cost to fix the scratch damage?
About the wing mirror, surely i could replace the plastic glass surround with a cheaper import wing mirror, if the size and shape is all the same? ( keeping the outer, and inner electrics etc of my original )
Or if that isnt the same, then any yarris 2006 gen mirror unit, regardless of colour or model would be ok too?

Would it go rusty quite soon if i left the scratches unfixed.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
Hartside

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3TR Hatchback
Yes it will go rusty if you leave the wing. It doesn't look too bad so you could go to your local "Chips Away" and get them to give you a price. Either that or just make a repair yourself if your not bothered. The front bumper is plastic so you can leave it or go on Ebay as there alre loads for sale on there. Replacement mirror glasses can be had from Halfords or accessory shops
Hartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
need a new mirror

scratch and dent damage (if repaired) would be about 400-500 US
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
What Dingo said. That is not a buff out fix on the metalwork. Worried about rust, sand it down, slap on some rustoleum and monitor, that is cheap for now.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
How is the rest of the car other than high milage? Also, how high is the milage?

Personally, I would probably get the car fixed if you plan on keeping it for a while.
Once you get that kind of damage on a car and decide not to repair it, you quickly loose interest in ithe car and start to neglect it. Then, the car no longer has its rightful value.

BTW, this is usually a "slow" time of the year (as opposed to spring) for most body shops in the northern hemisphere (I assume you'r in the UK) so, you might be able to get a lower price. Shop around.

Last edited by RedRide; 10-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Don't feel bad, everyone does dumb things with their car. Anyway, will your insurance cover this? If not, could somebody chime in here and say if touch-up paint will prevent rust on the fender for now? Since you say the car is high milage, you're probably not going to have it around a decade from now. So, I can see why you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on getting this completely fixed. As for the mirror, you should definitely have that handled by a professional.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
alexrednose

first thanks for the posts so far.
it had done 85000 miles when i bought it for £3750, without roadtax.
not amazing, but i think ok.
Though on closer inspection i think on the next service it will need new disc brakes and pads, perhaps a new set of tyres.

Anyway i digress.
The quotes i got on bodywork ranged from 175 approx to 250 and £280.
the mirror well i still imagine i can get one of those replacement ones off ebay for £50 and take the plastic part from that?, though i still not sure on this point yet whether the plastic frame surround can be removed and attached to my existing wing mirror, anyone know about this?

It was suggested to me that since its winter time here in the UK ,and especially where i live gets alot of snow it may be best putting off the repair until the big freeze is over, as it would be easy to have another bump.
I was told that on the metal part it shouldn't rust that easily, and when fixed the whole piece would need to be sanded down anyway.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Klink10

A generic mirror off ebay I wouldn't touch because of fitment issues with a particular application (you are wanting to break apart a cheap generic to use for a whatever) not a chance I'm willing to take. I did some cking for you and found that from Sparks Toyota here in the states a replacement Toyota mirror assembly with power runs $148.56 US. The outer cover is $38.34 and the glass is $29.27. The mirror is not broken down any further parts wise. Now with that said there are factory used mirror assemblys on Ebay, most can be obtained from auto wreckers. Ck the wrecker yards where you are. I am willing to bet you they will not break a mirror apart for the piece you are wanting. You will probably have to buy the whole thing. Good luck.

I'll also add since I just converted my mirrors to Scion, when you take the cover off and the glass out the rest which by the way is the part you are wanting to replace is well without another way to put "all the rest" or the heart of the mirror assembly. Even with the Scion ones, you can't take the outer cover off it to put on a Toyota cause the mount tabs are different at the least and then I won't get into the electrics.

Anyway now good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
......................It was suggested to me that since its winter time here in the UK ,and especially where i live gets alot of snow it may be best putting off the repair until the big freeze is over, as it would be easy to have another bump.
I was told that on the metal part it shouldn't rust that easily, and when fixed the whole piece would need to be sanded down anyway.
IMO, one should usualy attempt to have most body work fixed before winter to insure the metal is sealed.
Also, if the UK is like the US, spring is when most body shops are busy due to winter fender benders and you will usually pay higher prices. Like I previously said, you will probably get the lowest price now.

FWIW....in my liftime, I have a had few fender benders and they all occured in the summer even though we get plenty of snow here in New York state..
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
alexrednose

Well i opted for a eBay salvage genuine wing mirror in the end. £60 inc delivery. Will be £20 to fit it, i am still not sure how difficult for novice like me to take the door off and fit it myself, perhaps you guys know a link on here if you think its an easy process and what tools i need. Im pretty good inside a pc, so i would imagine taking a door off should be possible.
I still haven't decided on the bumper/ wheel arch repair yet though i got a colour match kit and plan to clean it, use some rust sealant and paint it over for temporary until i decide where is cheapest.
The plastic bumper as of deep scratches cannot really be fixed perfect i imagine even if they respray it. and getting a proper bumper does not seem economically feasible?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
The plastic bumper definitely can be fixed perfectly. I know this from personal experience. I scraped up my back bumper when I backed into a decorative landscaping wall. I didn't crack it, but I gouged it up pretty good, carving deep grooves into the plastic. Anyway, I got it fixed, and it's impossible to tell that anything ever happened. The shop put plastic filler in the scratches, then refinished the entire bumper. It was totally worth it, since it looks as good as new again. The bumper repair you can put off, though, if you're short on funds. Plastic of course will not rust, and no, the factory paint will not peel off.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
alexrednose

Well i still haven't done anything to it yet, but i got myself a wing mirror. I read through as many guides as i could find, though some seemed a little incomplete. Does anyone here know which tools i need to buy to take the door off, and what is a good basic toolkit to have for car repairs.? I want to take my inner door off to fit the driver wing mirror and maybe some speakers. So any guide with as many pictures/ tips as possible would be helpful.
Im great with taking computers apart, but a car is a big box id worry about damaging.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Klink10

Search on this site is your friend. Check the stickies folders on all topics. There is a post ref. a 30 sec way to remove the door panels. key thing is to don't deviate as things can be broken. I followed it when I replaced my mirrors with Scion XB's. Right there is another thread you can check.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
alexrednose

yes i saw that 30 second guide, but i still was not sure even after that. would take me 30 minutes rather than 30 seconds i think, and i dont want to damage anything.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
joliesmith
I've made a post!

Drives: None
The front bumper is plastic so you can leave it or go on Ebay as there alre loads for sale on there. Replacement mirror glasses can be had from Halfords or accessory shops
Old 03-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
jeanleroiser
I've made a post!

Drives: jeanleroiser
There is a post ref. a 30 sec way to remove the door panels. key thing is to don't deviate as things can be broken. I followed it when I replaced my mirrors with Scion XB's. Right there is another thread you can check.