Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #55
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
So is four quarts of Castrol 5w-30 way to much?? I checked it and it is over the full line a little bit , but not drastically.
I put 4qt of Royal Purple 5w-30 all the time. I let it drain at least 5-10mins (sometimes i go for lunch and come back) before refilling, and i'm usually dead on the "high" mark.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #56
Yaribhini
Banned

Drives: Yaris
4qt's will be too much. On a perfectly level surface, I got the oil nice and HOT, not warm and proceeded to let it drain for 2 hours. 4 quarts was way too much oil. I'd say that the re-fill should start at 3.3 qts and possibly end up at 3.7 at the most. I know that 4 quarts was way too much oil because the pan is equipped with a fujitomo drain valve and I was easily able to drain ~ .5 quarts from the pan to get the correct fill.
Yaribhini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #57
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
According to many Used Oil Analysis, Royol Purple is a very good oil, BUT not better then oils costing half as much. It is an internet myth that it is better then most. People get sold on it's color, as it is novel, and being more expensive then most oils, some people are fooled into thinking that it is better. It is not. Don't be suckered in!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #58
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
SO...Toyota says do NOT use 0w-20 in the Yaris 1.5L NZ series engine, and Glow keeps providing that TSB link as proof the he likes to use the wrong oil in his Yaris...

Thank you.
Wrong!

The TSB says that we can use 5w-20 in our Yaris. However I choose to use 0w-20 because I understand oil. At 212F, 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the SAME protection, the same viscosity, so what is the big deal? I use 0w for the first start on cold mornings (40F or colder), as it will circulate faster, and better, and that translates into more protection during the first start of every cold morning, and it is at that instance when 90% of engine wear happens.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #59
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc87 View Post
Use RP 5-20 with KN Oil Filter.
just picked up that combo tonight
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #60
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Understand Toyota's TSB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Wrong!

The TSB says that we can use 5w-20 in our Yaris. However I choose to use 0w-20 because I understand oil. At 212F, 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the SAME protection, the same viscosity, so what is the big deal? I use 0w for the first start on cold mornings (40F or colder), as it will circulate faster, and better, and that translates into more protection during the first start of every cold morning, and it is at that instance when 90% of engine wear happens.
Wrong!! 5W-20 is NOT the same as 0W-20, and Toyota is aware of it, that's why they say 5W-20 is okay for the Yaris but 0W-20 is NOT okay for the Yaris. Can't believe you're too dense to understand something that simple.

Rearrange the TSB to fit your needs all you want, and make all the excuses you want, but it's gonna be tuff convincing the Toyota service department how wrong they are if they ever question you for using a viscosity that is listed right on the TSB as a viscosity to not be used in the Yaris NZ 1.5

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #61
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Wrong!! 5W-20 is NOT the same as 0W-20, and Toyota is aware of it, that's why they say 5W-20 is okay for the Yaris but 0W-20 is NOT okay for the Yaris. Can't believe you're too dense to understand something that simple.

Rearrange the TSB to fit your needs all you want, and make all the excuses you want, but it's gonna be tuff convincing the Toyota service department how wrong they are if they ever question you for using a viscosity that is listed right on the TSB as a viscosity to not be used in the Yaris NZ 1.5

You are an idiot!

I never said the TSB says it is okay to use 0w-20. It says Yarii can use 5w-20.

HOWEVER, I use 0w-20 and my UOA's prove it is not a problem.

You really do need to take some vitamins!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #62
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
did another change on sat. with 5w20 mobil1 and trd(rebadged k/n) filter.....
Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #63
1stToyota

Go back to posting #29

Quote:
You are an idiot!

I never said the TSB says it is okay to use 0w-20. It says Yarii can use 5w-20.

HOWEVER, I use 0w-20 and my UOA's prove it is not a problem.

You really do need to take some vitamins!
Liar, check your #29 posting on this thread where you claimed that I'm wrong and Toyota, Mobil and Amsoil are right...

But thanks for the backpedal, because on this very thread I asked if 0w-20 was okay according to Toyota's TSB and you jumped on the thread with your little TSB link pretending that it was some sort of proof that Toyota thinks 0W-20 is okay for the Yaris.

Quote:

"ALL the oil brands that sell 0w-20 make the claim that that their oil is a great match for ANY 5w-20 application. AMSoil, Mobil1 and others make this claim.

And you are dead wrong about California and 0w weight oil. Anytime the ambient temperature is below 40F one will IN FACt benefit from 0w oil. You are also very foolish to think that it does not snow in California. It does in fact.

Film strength and viscosity have NOTHING to do with each other. And in fact, there are some 20 weights that provide film longer then heavier oils.

What you fail to understand is that 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the SAME protection at full operational temperatures. The difference is during the first morning start of the cold day. And if a 5w is fine, then a 0w will be too. This is true according to AMSoil, and Mobil1 and ALL other makes that make 0W oils.

According to Toyota, 5w-20 can be used safely in a Yaris 1.5L engine. Now, that being true, one can ALSO use 0w-20, 0w-30 too for our Yaris engines, and this according to ALL the makers of 0w oils.

It is too bad you behave like you know more about oil then Toyota, AMSoil, and Mobil1."

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #64
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
hey 1sttoyota...let him blow his engine up...its ok :)
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #65
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #66
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
hey 1sttoyota...let him blow his engine up...its ok :)
But the next thing you'll know is that he'll pretend that he hasn't been going around for months telling others to use 0W-20 because he's **used it for 50+K miles with no problems**, but I guess he's got the UOA's to prove it, but I've never seen him post those UOA results yet.

I doubt that he's put that many miles on his Yaris since the TSB was issued. The 50+K miles is probably the actual miles on the car, not how many miles 0W-20 has worked for him.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #67
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
What Silverglow doesn't know (because he dosen't have an oil temp gauge), is that under normal driving (city, and 75mph highway cruise), the oil temp does not go above 85 degrees C.

At the track, I've seen 109 degrees C at the end of a 25 min. session, but that was 25 min. playing above 5000 rpm.

I don't know what the curve looks like as far as temp. vs. viscosity, but I'd be willing to guess that he's not seeing the full 20w most, if not all, of the time.

That would be my guess as to why the TSB specifically does not list 0W-20 as a sub for the 1NZ.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #68
SilverGlow
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Liar, check your #29 posting on this thread where you claimed that I'm wrong and Toyota, Mobil and Amsoil are right...

But thanks for the backpedal, because on this very thread I asked if 0w-20 was okay according to Toyota's TSB and you jumped on the thread with your little TSB link pretending that it was some sort of proof that Toyota thinks 0W-20 is okay for the Yaris.

Quote:

"ALL the oil brands that sell 0w-20 make the claim that that their oil is a great match for ANY 5w-20 application. AMSoil, Mobil1 and others make this claim.

And you are dead wrong about California and 0w weight oil. Anytime the ambient temperature is below 40F one will IN FACt benefit from 0w oil. You are also very foolish to think that it does not snow in California. It does in fact.

Film strength and viscosity have NOTHING to do with each other. And in fact, there are some 20 weights that provide film longer then heavier oils.

What you fail to understand is that 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the SAME protection at full operational temperatures. The difference is during the first morning start of the cold day. And if a 5w is fine, then a 0w will be too. This is true according to AMSoil, and Mobil1 and ALL other makes that make 0W oils.

According to Toyota, 5w-20 can be used safely in a Yaris 1.5L engine. Now, that being true, one can ALSO use 0w-20, 0w-30 too for our Yaris engines, and this according to ALL the makers of 0w oils.

It is too bad you behave like you know more about oil then Toyota, AMSoil, and Mobil1."
You are wrong again! I didn't backpedel because there is no need to.

Toyota's 800 customer service line says you CAN run M1 or AMSoil 0W-20 as these do meet all their criteria for Yarii engines. The TSB published came out AFTER they drew this conclusion. Call Mobil1 and AMSoil and see if you know more about oil then they. You don't.

And I certainly would never run an oil that would damage my engine for grins or giggles.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #69
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
So.. I'm getting quite lost in this thread..

Which is a thinner oil? 5w20 or 5w30?

and also is thinner better?

What do you guys think about the Motul 300V line of oils.. =P compared with the RP motor oils? (mainly the 300V Power Racing)

Last thing.. are some of you saying the RP motor oils are semi synthetic?

Thanks in advance =)

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #70
1stToyota

Exclamation I never said the TSB says it is okay to use 0w-20. It says Yarii can use 5w-20.

Quote:
You are wrong again! I didn't backpedel because there is no need to.

Toyota's 800 customer service line says you CAN run M1 or AMSoil 0W-20
Really?

Toyota says to use "AMSOIL" even when it's NOT API approved?

AMSOIL's XL series is API approved, but it doesn't come in 0w-20

Quote:
as these do meet all their criteria for Yarii engines.

They require API approval and AMSOIL's 0w-20 isn't API approved.

Quote:
The TSB published came out AFTER they drew this conclusion.
OH, I see...the TSB came out AFTER, and not before And the TSB says do NOT use 0w-20 in the Yaris, gotcha! :)

Quote:
Call Mobil1 and AMSoil and see if you know more about oil then they. You don't.
They don't know enough or they wouldn't go against what Toyota wants to see in their Yaris crankcases.

Quote:
And I certainly would never run an oil that would damage my engine for grins or giggles.
Of course you would to get that extra mpg...in a southern California climate that doesn't need better than 5w, any better than what Toyota recommends, especially if you're running synthetic.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #71
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookz View Post
So.. I'm getting quite lost in this thread..

Which is a thinner oil? 5w20 or 5w30?

and also is thinner better?

What do you guys think about the Motul 300V line of oils.. =P compared with the RP motor oils? (mainly the 300V Power Racing)

Last thing.. are some of you saying the RP motor oils are semi synthetic?

Thanks in advance =)
You may want to try the Motul BMW LL01, prob the best all round oil around. I'll attach the spec sheet. The 300 v while it may work on the street for a bit is a racing oil. Sometimes they lower the detergency to reduce preignition, you need that detergency on a street motor. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motul bmwLL-01_5W-30.pdf (19.5 KB, 5 views)
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #72
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
Jesus Christ folks the world ain't goin end because you guys have different opinions on oil.

i use pennzoil platinum 05/30 but frankly i think our cars engine would run just fine on ANY 5/30 syn or dino
hell if you want to run something other that what Toyota says go for it just don't cry when you break it !
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote