Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
abdallah380
Fly Emirates :)

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
is the acceleration normal?

hey ppl, i noticed that when i press the accelerator of my yaris it takes almost a second for the car to accelerate.. is that normal? or should it accelerate the moment i step on gas?
abdallah380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
abdallah380

its an automatic gear...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
automatic gearbox + electric throttle means that there will be some lag, it's normal... This is an economy car, really

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Don't you know? You gotta plan ahead with the Yaris!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Don't you know? You gotta plan ahead with the Yaris!

Cheers! M2
ROFL.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Are you pressing the throttle hard enough to force a downshift??? I've never driven an automatic Yaris, but I can't imagine that it won't downshift when needed if you put your foot into it.

It's not a torquey V8 muscle car, you can't just "lean" on the gas and get it to accelerate. PUNCH IT! I'd be very surprised if it doesn't downshift and go when you do that.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
automatic gearbox + electric throttle means that there will be some lag, it's normal... This is an economy car, really
I drive an auto too :D

I understand there will be some lag, but at around 60k, the lag noticeably went up. I've ran a few red lights when I never used to, because it seriously takes 1.5 - 2 seconds after I slam(pedal to the metal) for it to downshift and start actually accelerating sometimes.

Given that I've noticed it slowing down, do you still think its supposed to be acting this way, or something I should get checked out.

edit: mother eff - I took my transmission in and had it flushed at 60k at a lube shop... do you think they used the right fluid per this TSB?

http://www.etimago.com/yaris/TSB/TS-...0Fluid%20).pdf

edit edit: I called the lube shop and they said they used "mercon 7 universal" automatic transmission fluid?? Did they put the wrong stuff in my transmission?

Last edited by supmet; 02-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I've ran a few red lights when I never used to, because it seriously takes 1.5 - 2 seconds after I slam(pedal to the metal) for it to downshift and start actually accelerating sometimes.
And here I always thought you were supposed to brake for yellow/red lights.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
Ya, but when you're coming downhill, and a little gas will get you through, and stopping means putting some rubber down, I'd rather gas it through.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Ya, but when you're coming downhill, and a little gas will get you through, and stopping means putting some rubber down, I'd rather gas it through.
I know, I know. I was kidding. Just thought it was funny.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You need a blitz throttle controller. This topic has been discussed many times. Its a common problem with drive by wire system. There is no cable that operatates the throttle plate. Computer has to recieve the signal from you pressing the pedal then send it to the motor thats in the throttle assembly and the motor has to turn on to open the throttle. All this takes a about a second which is why you feel a second delay. If there was a throttle cable the transfer happens as soon as you even touch the gas.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
Depending on how old you are:
"Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast."

(if you're not old enough to get it)

Regarding the transmission fluid and things not shifting right after 60k miles... um... if I was driving a car with an automatic transmission that shifted normally... and then suddenly it DIDN'T shift normally any more, I wouldn't wait for SOMOENE ELSE to bring up the subject on a forum before checking into why.

Nobody "needs" a Blitz throttle controller, all you need to do is put your foot down if you want the car to go. The throttle controller just allows you to put your foot down LESS to get the same effect.

From the Yaris auto trans service manual (available online, search for it!):

When changing the automatic transmission fluid, use
only "Toyota Genuine ATF WS" (ATF JWS3324 or
NWS9638).

It also talks about the fact that the transmission controller "learns driver habits", which means that if you don't often hammer the throttle and force downshifts, it "learns" that you don't want/need it to downshift and adjusts accordingly. A car driven gently all the time is going to drive completely differently from one that is driven aggressively. The transmission adapts to the driver. Toyota can reset it for you if you think it's mucked up.

On top of that, it has a very thorough troubleshooting procedure that includes checking for proper downshift operation. If you're not up to the task of troubleshooting it (the automatic trans itself is very complicated, and the electronic control system even more so), take it to Toyota and have it checked.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
abdallah380

thanks for all the replies u guys. i appreciate it greatly ;)
just for the info. my car is still new it has done only 1700 kms.... and i dont experience the lag while the car is moving at speeds. only when i have to accelerate from a complete stop it lags about a second. so should that be normal?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Loren
What?

Take it in and have Toyota check it. Maybe it's not downshifting to first gear? No way any of us can tell you that without driving it. You have a warranty, use it!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
I'd get the dealer to check it out for sure! When I take another test drive I'll check for this. That would annoy the crap outta me! Then again I'm used to cable linkage. I press it and I'm gone.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
The electronic throttle has nothing to do with the lag. The ECU and the throttle talk to each other millions of times per second. The lag would be there even if a conventional mechanical throttle was used.

Our cars are not high performance cars. However I suspect the OP needs to have his throttle body cleaned, and throwning in a bottle of Chevron Technron concentrate might help too. I do this just before every oil change, and at 54,000 miles, my 4-speed auto is very responsive, when I hammer the throttle. Granted, the car does not lurch forward like a rocket, but it does drop into a lower gear and accelerate good enough for 99 out of 100 traffic situations.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
The electronic throttle has nothing to do with the lag. The ECU and the throttle talk to each other millions of times per second. The lag would be there even if a conventional mechanical throttle was used.
Yes, but there is also a smoothing function of the throttle input which IMO is the main culprit of this

It would be interesting, of course, to compare a Yaris throttle response to an xA's

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #18
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Yes, but there is also a smoothing function of the throttle input which IMO is the main culprit of this

It would be interesting, of course, to compare a Yaris throttle response to an xA's

My brother owns an XA. Automatic transmission.
I drive a yaris sedan, also automatic transmission.

xa wins in terms of acceleration. I dont really get any lag unless I encounter a hill. (as expected).
I always thought that there was something wrong with my yaris. It's good to know now though, that the car is just a slug- and everything is working as designed. :\
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote