Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
89GLH

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4 door hatch
holy body roll

We all know you dont buy the car for the performance. Because as we all know, the car has NONE. If you think it does you're kidding yourself.

I was headed to work and the wind damn near knocked the car on 2 wheels. What tasteful kits have you put together that help that? I dont want to lose the warranty, but I do want a safer feeling car.

springs
shocks
coilovers
sway bars
89GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
You just listed what would help.

I lowered mine almost 2" (Tanabe DF210's) and it solved the problem.

$90 investment (used springs) and 2 hours time is all it took.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
Wider wheels also help out.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
We all know you dont buy the car for the performance. Because as we all know, the car has NONE. If you think it does you're kidding yourself.
I would ask with due respect that you speak for yourself, and not for me. The car handles like a dream with minimal suspension upgrades. Additional power is available through several upgrade options.

Ask jkuchta, or 03Z33 or myself, who regularly keep up with most other cars at the track.

Quote:
springs
shocks
coilovers
sway bars
and tires!

Coilovers: review the "Coilover Thread"
Shocks: the two options are TRD and Tokico blue
Sway bars: TRD for the rear is the one to get - no need for a front sway bar on this car.
Springs: several choices, including Tanabe, Progress, H&R, Tein, etc. Searching will help.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 12-31-2008 at 08:10 PM.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
thepoche

Drives: Toyota Yaris CE
Get good tires with stiff sidewall. Thats what made a big difference for me in the highway winds.

I have coilovers and rear sway bar and when I put the soft winter tires on, I get knocked around by wind but with the good tires, I don't feel it.
thepoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
To the OP, the Yaris can be made to handle very well. It's forte isn't straight-line performance, but like cali_yaris said, it can be made better.

I've got Megan Racing coilovers, TRD rear swaybar, and some stickier tires. It helps a lot.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
besides the usual spring/shock/swaybar ideas you could also invest in some braces from GT SPEC. im sure the usual asspaper's will tell you they DO NOTHING but if you come to one of our meets next year i'll take you for a ride.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I think he's right on that a new factory/unmodified Yaris has no performance what-so-ever. Well OK, performance fuel economy...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I think he's right on that a new factory/unmodified Yaris has no performance what-so-ever. Well OK, performance fuel economy...
Well we can all have our opinions, right?
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
so would lowering the car help or hinder fuel economy, or is it negligable?
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Thirty-Nine

Lowering will probably not have a noticeable difference in fuel economy. I've owned seven vehicles that have been lowered, and never noticed a difference.

Lowering will, however, improve handling and stability in cornering. The ride will be firmer (of course, that will vary between setups), and, IMHO, it looks a lot better, too.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well we can all have our opinions, right?
Yes. However, the OP said how it "is" for everyone, along with a mild insult for emphasis.

Quote:
as we all know, the car has NONE. If you think it does you're kidding yourself.
I hope the OP's real and valid question was answered.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
This is the worst car to drive in a cross wind that I have ever owned. No need for up grades for me. When it is windy, I am more careful.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
89GLH

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4 door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I would ask with due respect that you speak for yourself, and not for me. The car handles like a dream with minimal suspension upgrades.
Back from the dead. This is exactly what I was asking. I have no upgrades whatsoever, and the car tracks all over the place when it's windy. Cali, no upgrades the car handles terrible. It would therefore lend itself that with "minimal upgrades" it would handle like a dream. Right? That's pretty obvious I thought, hence me asking. Thanks for the holier than thou approach.
89GLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
OP, you gotta understand, this is a Yaris enthusiasts' forum, and people on here are really proud of their car (even those who have not done any mods ), so people can be a little sensitive to criticism.

I haven't yet seen Cali's Yaris in person but I understand it is quite the beast ;)

What I was wondering is whether or not you did anything to improve handling since you last posted?

I'm with you, stock Yaris doesn't handle great in the wind (I've complained about the same thing when I first got my Yaris and got some of the same response initially ;)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #16
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
Back from the dead. This is exactly what I was asking. I have no upgrades whatsoever, and the car tracks all over the place when it's windy. Cali, no upgrades the car handles terrible. It would therefore lend itself that with "minimal upgrades" it would handle like a dream. Right? That's pretty obvious I thought, hence me asking. Thanks for the holier than thou approach.
lol this comment is great. use the search button to get your "non holier than thou" answers.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #17
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
Add a rear swaybar and some decent tires. Be happy.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Since you completely ignored my helpful suggestions in post #4 in favor of insulting me, and which have been further answered several times by everyone else (post 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 17, etc), do you have any NEW questions?