Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
power steering

Does anyone know if the electronic power steering in the Yaris is connected to the main ECU?

I know it has its own relay and control unit, just wanting to know if it has any "relationship" with the ECU.

Thanks
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
It is connected to the can communication to the abs ecu and main ecm , according too pg 3 of PDF , Emailling PDF to you know.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
hey if you are pulling it out, i am curious to know if it will fit my car...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

pulling what out?

ray, my car doesn't have ABS, so that shouldn't matter. The main ECM part does seem to have killed it though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Are you trying to pull the factory ECU and use alternate engine managment?

I don't think the PS cares if the engine is RUNNING or not, so you could leave the factory ECU to run the PS and gauges and everything else that it runs (modern ECU's are pretty pervasive), just disconnect it from the sensors on the engine that you need for your aftermarket ECU.

I'm basing this assumption on playing with hypermiling recently... if you turn the ignition off, the power steering goes away instantly (umff!). But, if you turn the ignition back to the "ON" position without restarting the ignition, the power steering comes back.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
I thought that there was some variability on the power steering...

Like softer at low speeds and harder at higher speeds.... wouldn't something like this be controled by the ECU?
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Oh I get it now. Yes, we pulled it - the ECU has been out for a while now. The dash gauges all work without it (speedo, fuel, etc). I didn't think about the power steering until yesterday when we were tuning it.

I think I'll just do without for now -- I am actually really liking the feel.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Loren
What?

You might investigate fitting a manual rack. I have an old Tercel with a manual rack that drives just dandy. Something like that might fit.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
pulling what out?

ray, my car doesn't have ABS, so that shouldn't matter. The main ECM part does seem to have killed it though.
Yeah i thought about that ,sorry, but theres a diagram further on that shows how it works with non abs cars , and it still runs via main ecu .
which also controls dash warnning lights for power steer failure.
looks like you need to send speed and rpm message to power steering ecu .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
This is somewhat on topic, but can you shut the OEM electric power steering off? Is there a fuse you can pull or a connector you could unplug? I'd be curious to see how it feels.

In my old Miata I disabled the power steering and I enjoyed the feel quite a bit (not as nice as a manual rack, but better than nothing).

Thoughts?
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Loren
What?

There is a PS fuse you can pull. I tried it. It sucks.

Really, it's not bad at speed, but way too hefty when making turns. You'd need really big arms to autocross with it that way!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
schleppy
I love momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
There is a PS fuse you can pull. I tried it. It sucks.

Really, it's not bad at speed, but way too hefty when making turns. You'd need really big arms to autocross with it that way!
Maybe I'll give it a go (though I do believe you). Did it throw a check engine light or anything?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Loren
What?

I don't remember if it threw a CEL, I don't think so. This is one of the many things I posted about when I did it, but the info got lost when the forum got hacked. (and the admin had no backup)

Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I don't remember if it threw a CEL, I don't think so. This is one of the many things I posted about when I did it, but the info got lost when the forum got hacked. (and the admin had no backup)
It won't throw a CEL. PS has its own ECU that reports its own DTC's to the techstream tool.
CTScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Does anyone know if the electronic power steering in the Yaris is connected to the main ECU?

I know it has its own relay and control unit, just wanting to know if it has any "relationship" with the ECU.

Thanks
The guy in PR with the 2ZZ swap had the same problem but was able to modify something to make the power steering work, I will try to get in touch with him to see what he did
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you're wanting to take something that's electric and has no draw on the engine.....and put a pump that's engine drawn onto the car??? and a rack/pinion setup?

makes no sense to me. unless you're doing hydro-boost braking and need PS to get it....even then you may as well run an electric vacuum pump...

makes no sense to me, it doesnt draw any power from engine and it's not a performance issue unless you like building your jackoff muscles....for you single guys out there....i'd leave it alone and get a bigger battery if you're wanting to buy parts for nothing...a PS rack and install could run you thousands...buy a nos kit with your extra $$$
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #17
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
you're wanting to take something that's electric and has no draw on the engine.....and put a pump that's engine drawn onto the car??? and a rack/pinion setup?

makes no sense to me. unless you're doing hydro-boost braking and need PS to get it....even then you may as well run an electric vacuum pump...

makes no sense to me, it doesnt draw any power from engine and it's not a performance issue unless you like building your jackoff muscles....for you single guys out there....i'd leave it alone and get a bigger battery if you're wanting to buy parts for nothing...a PS rack and install could run you thousands...buy a nos kit with your extra $$$
someone's stick went missing...check your ass....

just like your comment, mine added nothing to the relevant conversation....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
schleppy
I love momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
Some people don't enjoy the feel of an over-assisted power steering system (*cough* the yaris system *cough*). It has nothing to do with machismo. Drive a car or two with a proper manual steering rack (or nicely weighted power steering setup) and you'll understand.