Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
toyotavios_11

Drives: Toyota Vios
2020 Toyota Yaris – first compact TNGA-based model; Dynamic Force engines, Advanced P

The new Toyota Yaris has made its debut, this being the first to use the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) for a compact model application, here dubbed GA-B. This use of the platform increases torsional rigidity by 30% and lowers the centre of gravity by 15 mm, while being lighter by 50 kg compared to the previous generation, says Toyota.

The ground-up redesign extends to the line-up of engines for the Yaris, which is comprised of a 1.5 litre Dynamic Force engine which can be paired with either a direct-shift CVT or six-speed manual gearbox; this is joined by a 1.0 litre three-cylinder engine that has been revised for increased tumble flow, higher EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) rate and reduced friction to achieve lower fuel consumption, the company said.

Safety equipment for the new hatcback is comprised of the latest iteration of the Toyota Safety Sense active safety suite, which is now expanded to be capable of detecting oncoming cars and pedestrians when turning into a junction, features offered on a Toyota for the first time.

Also a Toyota first is the addition of Low Speed Acceleration Control which aims to prevent collisions due to misapplication of the throttle pedal at low speed. This employs millimetre-wave radar and a camera to recognise pedestrians directly in front of the car, and will suppress engine output or lightly apply the brakes if an object is detected in front of the car and the throttle pedal is depressed with excessive force from stationary or from low speeds.

Safety features also available for the new Yaris include Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with full-speed range, Lane Tracing Assist to remain centred in the lane when using Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, auto high beam and road sign assist that will display detected road signs for the driver.

Another Toyota first appearing on the 2020 Yaris is Advanced Park, which supports automated parking manoeuvres that takes care of not just steering, but also throttle and brake application, says Toyota; the driver only needs to operate gear selection according to provided instructions. This system alerts the driver with audible warnings and will apply the brakes, while cameras and ultrasonic sensors monitor the car’s surroundings.

Connectivity for the Yaris comes courtesy of Helpnet, one of T-Connect services that provides drivers with assistance in case of an accident or sudden illness. A Helpnet button connects the vehicle to an operator who can arrange for emergency service based on the vehicle’s location, while the available D-Call Net determines whether or not a medical helicopter is required by connecting to an operator if the Yaris’ airbags are deployed.

More innovations feature within the Yaris for occupant comfort, with the front seats in the new hatchback featuring a turn-tilt mechanism that enables occupants to enter and exit the vehicle more easily particularly when wearing more restrictive clothing such as a skirt or a kimono, says Toyota; this function also aids the movements of those with back pains or limited strength. The driver’s seat also features an easy return mechanism which recalls the driver’s manually chosen seating position.

The Yaris comes in three trim levels for each of the 1.0 litre, 1.5 litre and 1.5 litre hybrid powertrain options, and the hatchback is offered in 12 colours including new Ice Pink Metallic and Coral Crystal Shine colours; there are also six two-tone colour schemes which can be paired with either a white or a black roof finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL307T1gkY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkvQWv-6oOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J8UuvmENO8

Last edited by toyotavios_11; 10-21-2019 at 09:21 PM.
toyotavios_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
This is way better than the stupid Mazda based hatchback that's "new" for 2020 here. What's the deal?!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I love the look! I wish we got this in the U.S.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Love the rear. Too bad we won't get it, maybe one day?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Sounds like they loaded it up with the usual tech bloat garbage. My car is now going to decide if I need a medivac helicopter. Please. The reason I love my Yaris is that it is simple. Reminds me of my 1964 Dodge Dart in that respect. (That is a high compliment for those that don't understand the reference.) If it's just going to become a rolling computer, only smaller, there would be no reason to own one. Does look nice though.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
Good video here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eP-0TNdA_U
Old 10-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Reminds me of my 1964 Dodge Dart in that respect.
always wanted one!

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...-florida-33755
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Nice looking Dart. Don't own mine anymore. Lasted until early 90's. Mine was the 4 door version, in blue, and in considerably worse shape by the end. But it was a simple, reliable car that lasted for almost 3 decades. That's why comparing the Yaris to it is high praise to my way of thinking.

Last edited by NYC-SE; 10-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
No Comment other than FU Toyota for not releasing a nice SE/XSE trim authentic TNGA Yaris here.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
adrew

Drives: '12 L 3-door 5-speed
The hybrid has available electric all-wheel-drive and a double-wishbone rear suspension!

You know they are going to do a sports or GR(MN) one that has the IRS and a hotted up version of the new 1.5 that we are all going to yearn for.

New 1.5-liter 3-cylinder looks pretty fancy and nicely packaged
adrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:29 AM   #11
yarisbug

Drives: 2010 1.4 d4d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KALISPEL II View Post
No Comment other than FU Toyota for not releasing a nice SE/XSE trim authentic TNGA Yaris here.
Abso-f*^king-lutely!
yarisbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
we are lucky that we are getting a genuine Toyota Yaris here in europe and not just a rebadged peugeot 208/citroen c3.
Now we soon get the Partner/Berlingo as Toyota Verso here in europe, we already has this PSA junk as Toyota Pro-ace.
I dont get it why Toyota will spoil the brand with that french junk.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Well, worst case scenario we can import one to the US in 25 years.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Well, worst case scenario we can import one to the US in 25 years.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...tchback-japan/
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #16
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Sounds like they loaded it up with the usual tech bloat garbage. My car is now going to decide if I need a medivac helicopter. Please. The reason I love my Yaris is that it is simple. Reminds me of my 1964 Dodge Dart in that respect. (That is a high compliment for those that don't understand the reference.) If it's just going to become a rolling computer, only smaller, there would be no reason to own one. Does look nice though.
I fully agree with you. It is going to be expensive with all the tech bloat and like you said why buy one? I'd rather spend a few grand more for a larger vehicle with more capability.

Part of the reason to want a yaris was the low price tag and lack of tech bloat, they were cheap, simple and reliable and that was the appeal at least for me.

If I'm in the market for a sub compact cheap grocery getter I don't want it to have an extra 5 grand in computer crap so it can drive for me.

...maybe that is any it is available only in Europe...they will pay higher prices for sub compacts if it has all of that tech. Toyota isn't dumb
Old 11-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #17
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Might get back in the yaris scene with this one. Interesting engine choice though. No more 1.5 four replaced by a 1.5 3 pot unit and hybrid.We'll get more info closer to arrival in Australia mid 2020.Apart from that I like the aggressive look no more cute bubble shape or darth Vader grill. Loving the look of this Yaris. The best one yet.

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote