Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #19
Dadombomb15

Drives: 1996 Miata
I haven't hopped around on the freeway since I took my power steering fuse out. I can actually handle the car and not get blown halfway into the next lane (something that happened a little too often with the high winds here in monterey, which is what drove me to remove it). I don't know if anyone else has had the same effect, but I can keep the steering wheel very steady in the wind now that i have no power steering.
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Dadombomb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #20
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
We all know you dont buy the car for the performance. Because as we all know, the car has NONE. If you think it does you're kidding yourself.

I was headed to work and the wind damn near knocked the car on 2 wheels. What tasteful kits have you put together that help that? I dont want to lose the warranty, but I do want a safer feeling car.

springs
shocks
coilovers
sway bars
while the yaris isn't the best handling car stock, it is pretty decent. it certainly doesn't handle as bad as a caddy or a truck.

i've never had issues driving in the wind, and i've been in some very windy places. I'm not the only one either.

insults won't get you far anywhere. maybe what you really need is some driver education courses?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #21
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
This is the worst car to drive in a cross wind that I have ever owned. No need for up grades for me. When it is windy, I am more careful.
Never owned or driven a Jeep Wrangler, have you?!?

But yes, a small, light car is going to be blown around a lot more than a large, heavy one. It's simple physics.

And being more careful under windy conditions is always a smart move. Same when it's raining...so that's great advice!

Cheers! M2
Old 04-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
If you don't want to be pushed around by the wind , do 1 simple thing ......fold the mirrors back . Seriously . You will still get pushed slightly , but it won't be as dramatic as if the mirrors are in the deployed position .
Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #23
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GLH View Post
Back from the dead. This is exactly what I was asking. I have no upgrades whatsoever, and the car tracks all over the place when it's windy. Cali, no upgrades the car handles terrible. It would therefore lend itself that with "minimal upgrades" it would handle like a dream. Right? That's pretty obvious I thought, hence me asking. Thanks for the holier than thou approach.
My fast car isnt the yaris since thats my dd. The yaris handling isnt terrible in stock form you do need to replace the garbage tires that come on it but otherwise it handles pretty well.
Im going to have to assume you dont know how to drive and dont know the limits of the car so you assume its going to lose control. It may understeer pretty bad in stock form but it takes quite a bit to make the car let go completly. While im not proud of this ive been able to embarass much faster cars on the street in my yaris getting onto freeway onramps and such even with 50k on stock suspension and crappy general uhp tires that are almost bald it will still take most on ramps and left hand turns at 45-50 mph the right handers I have to slow down to 35.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #24
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

But yes, a small, light car is going to be blown around a lot more than a large, heavy one. It's simple physics.

And being more careful under windy conditions is always a smart move. Same when it's raining...so that's great advice!

Cheers! M2
Never driven a Ford pinto have you? I used to own one. Actually, as small and light as a pinto was, it was rock stable in cross winds and they even used to advertise it as such.

It all has much more to do with body shapes than it does with a vehicle's weight.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadombomb15 View Post
I haven't hopped around on the freeway since I took my power steering fuse out. I can actually handle the car and not get blown halfway into the next lane (something that happened a little too often with the high winds here in monterey, which is what drove me to remove it). I don't know if anyone else has had the same effect, but I can keep the steering wheel very steady in the wind now that i have no power steering.
No Power Steering? Wow! You must look like Popeye after puting that much effort into driving.
Attached Images
File Type: gif popeye.gif (8.9 KB, 151 views)
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #26
Dadombomb15

Drives: 1996 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlondog View Post
No Power Steering? Wow! You must look like Popeye after puting that much effort into driving.
not really, been driving cars with no power steering since before I got my license, family owns a lot of old cars
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Dadombomb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm bald, but that's all I have in common with Popeye. I love the car without power steering.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #28
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
The Yaris doesn't automatically feel like a normal car w/o a power steering pump when you pop the EPS fuse. Its like that motor is connected 100% of the time, and even while you're rolling, there is mucho resistance.

I qq'd and put my fuse back in.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #29
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
+1 I think all those years struggling to keep the Jeep on the road in high winds has trained me quite well.

That being said, I did add the rear sway, TRD springs and wider tires and the wind is not so much a factor in the Yaris. It still wiggles around on poor pavement by trying to sit in the ruts on the road, but it's not really an issue.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #30
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
This is. What shocks and springs will do
http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&cli...&v=Se13HhDzOh8
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
This is. What shocks and springs will do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&c...&v=Se13HhDzOh8
Fixed your link for a normal browser. ^^
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #32
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I noticed a significant/huge improvement in highway wind issues (cross-wind blasts and truck wakes) when I installed my anti-sway bar. Not much, if any further improvement was evident after the springs and dampers were upgraded a month or so later.
I'm still on OEM Goodyear's so can't comment on how an upgrade there would help.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #33
kelevra
2012 CBR1000RR Hoo Yaaa

Drives: 08 3 door Hatch
I've had my coupe for almost 2 1/2 years now and same tires and 20K miles. It moves around a bit in the wind, but thats mainly because it is so light weight. I will do some suspension mods as I enjoy leaving faster cars/less capable drivers in the twisties..
Old 05-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #34
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
no worse than the 2000 Chevy Prizm or 2006 XB we had . Keep your eyes on the road , your hands upon the wheel . www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwfmfMBLZiM .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #35
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I think the high roof of the Yaris causes the cross wind issues... lowering really helps, that and relaxing when you drive... you are going to be blown about a bit when its really windy; relax and release your death grip on the steering wheel lol

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote