Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Oregon intrudce Bill to Prohibit Sales of Aftermarket parts

read away...

http://www.montrealracing.com/en/?p=539

Quote:
I stumbled upon something quite serious while browsing the SEMA website. It seems that the governor of Oregon, Theodore Kulongoski, has introduced H.B.2186 which is a bill that would prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that “decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.” The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations.

This focus on tires means that you will need to buy rubber that has the least amount of rolling resitance, effectively eliminating performance tires from the market. Don’t worry just yet because even if this thing passes, its just one American state. In the unlikely event that this becomes a national law then we’d suggest worrying because there are sure to be some Canuck lawmakers eager to follow suit.

The law also wants to ban all other performance parts, forcing the user to always buy from the factory should a replacement be needed. Needless to say this would be a disaster for the industry. A better alternative would be to concentrate on producing more fuel efficient vehicles instead of finding ways to kill off entire industries in the name of the environment.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Greenhouse gas emissions would be impossible to reduce if you're going after car parts, tires etc. A more logical and effective way is to reduce engine and car sizes in the future. Having large electric cars would not help. The Gov. has his head up his ass and thinks his fart does not contribute to greenhouse gas.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
It's just the govt. trying to interfere on our fun again. Besides, if they really wanted to put a lid on greenhouse gases, they'd do something about the gases that come out of factory smokestacks. IMO they're responsible for at least half of global warming, if not more

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Greenhouse gas emissions would be impossible to reduce if you're going after car parts, tires etc.
Not impossible but it seems to me kind of asinine to go after tires, pulleys and tuning kits when vehicles are made every day that make a lot more Carbon Dioxide than any small car with turbo chargers and other performance enhancements. In plain English, why worry about Tuners when SUVs and Pickups are sold new each year?

My money says that the Governor is getting campaign contributions from some Dealers who don't like to see aftermarket stuff taking away "their" market.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Agreed, and this just creates a black market for the parts.

The cops there would then be looking at the tires?? Crazy!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
It's just the govt. trying to interfere on our fun again. Besides, if they really wanted to put a lid on greenhouse gases, they'd do something about the gases that come out of factory smokestacks.
Trust me, they are, they are.... Environmental remediation puts a lot of money into my pocket these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
IMO they're responsible for at least half of global warming, if not more
....not even a fraction of a percent.

However I don't say such things at work. We just wink at each other and get back to work.

Gene
Old 02-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
SEMA will step in, and it will never see the light of day
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Not impossible but it seems to me kind of asinine to go after tires, pulleys and tuning kits when vehicles are made every day that make a lot more Carbon Dioxide than any small car with turbo chargers and other performance enhancements. In plain English, why worry about Tuners when SUVs and Pickups are sold new each year?

My money says that the Governor is getting campaign contributions from some Dealers who don't like to see aftermarket stuff taking away "their" market.

Gene
Where's your head Gene?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Where's your head Gene?
If you mean by that, why do I think that way? This kind of approach is, to use the Corporate vernacular, going after the "high hanging fruit". If you're going to curb "green house gases" then enforcing speed limits would probably do a better job of automobile efficiency than this blanket ban.

So we're left with the unfortunate conclusion that the Governor of Oregon probably has ulterior motives, or they're grandstanding.

Gene
Old 02-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
SailDesign

Drives: .
If that is the attitude, then they should immediately ban all motor-boats, whether putt-putts or Formula boats, all snowmobiles and all "racing" quads. THEN they should ban Campers, and force everyone to drive to a campground in a Yaris and use a tent.
In other words - what a waste of everyone's time!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Theres no way that this bill should pass.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote