Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
HID Kit High-Beam Cluster Indicator Problem

I have done extensive searching and cannot find anyone with the same problem. I bought this kit:
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...VERSION/Detail
Its a moving type dual bi-xenon H4 kit. It operates perfectly. I has a shield which reduces glare, and when you switch to high beams, something in the bulb moves and it shifts the light upwards.
The only problem is, the high-beam indicator light does not appear on the gauge cluster, which sometimes leads to forgetting that the highbeams are on, or turning them on by mistake and not realizing. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this or have had a similar problem? I'm not sure how it works, but I have a feeling the highbeam wire actually powers a magnet that shifts the bulb, but i'm not certain, just speculating.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Something is not wired in correctly. If you are moving your High-beam control into
the High-beam position, the dash light should come on.
Judging from your location I'd guess that it has something to do with you DRLs?
How did you connect those, or did you fun a bypass to shut them off?
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
i just disconnected the whole DRL module underneath the dash. Does that somehow disable that light?
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
i just disconnected the whole DRL module underneath the dash. Does that somehow disable that light?
The DRL module isn't really involved in the beam indicator. The beam indicator always has 12 V going to it and then the ground leg gets switched by the headlight switch. If you check the two pins involved on your sedan's cluster I have a feeling that you are lacking the +12, not the ground when high beams are on.

Pin 14 (gray wire) on Connector D76 (for the Sedan) should be hot with +12V at all times.

Pin 11 (pink wire) goes to ground when the headlight switch is in the high beam mode. If you measure voltage on it, it should read about 1V less than pin 14 (provided that pin 14 is hot) when the high beams are off and 0V when the high beams are on.

If Pin 14 is not hot, and Pin 11 measures 0V with the high beams off, you can measure resistance (Ohms) between pin 11 and ground. it should be open (OL or high value) with the high beams off and 0 Ohms with the high beams on.

If Pin 14 is not hot and Pin 11 functions correctly, then the problem has to do with how the HIDs are cut in to the existing wiring. If that is the case and you can post the wiring instructions I can help further...

D76 - Sedan Combo Meter.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I know about this problem. There should be a leftover harness with the installation of that kit, the harness needs a resistor, then your high beam indicator will work.

PM "miniTRD", he knows the fix.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Split, I am pretty sure everyone with bi-xenon hid kit has the same problem, someone also tried to make a relay to correct the problem but no luck. My indicator does not come on either. My car did not come with drl so I cannot help there.
I have the bi-xenon kit with fog lights and DRL (DRL module still installed, not removed or modified) and my hi beam indicator doesn't light up either. I'd be interested in a fix for this.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Mike (MGargano) popped by today and we fixed his. We started looking at the harness under the hood, but we would have had to pop the headlight to get at the wiring to figure it out from that side, so instead we did the fix at the cluster.

The cluster side fix will also allow for dimming the high beam indicator (if you find the blue light annoying as some do).

Instructions:

1. Remove the cluster trim.

2. Snip the gray wire going to pin 14 (of Connector D76 for Sedans and D2 for Liftbacks). Leave an inch or so coming out of the connector.

3. Tape or cap off the harness side of the gray wire.

4. Tap a piece of wire (about 18 inches long) to the black wire in pin 1 of connector D1 (Liftback or Sedan)

5. Connect the tapped wire to the gray wire from step 2, where it goes into the connector. If you wish to dim the blue indicator, add a 10K ohm resistor between the tapped wire and the gray wire.

6. Reinstall the cluster trim.

Wire tapped to Pin 1 of Connector D1:
Conn D1 - Tapped Pin 1.jpg

Pin 14 of Connector D2 clipped, harness side capped, and connector side spliced to wire from D1:
Conn D2 - Gray Wired Clipped and Spliced.jpg

High beam indicator Working:
HID High Beam working.jpg

D76 - Sedan Left Side Cluster Connector:

D1 - Liftback and Sedan Right Side Cluster Connector.
Conn D1 - Combination Meter.jpg

D2 - Liftback Left Side Cluster Connector
Conn D2.jpg
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
That's weird.. why does this happen to you guys?
Mine's working perfectly..

THOUGHT... my setup have one thing different that you guys... (before i did the DRL mod) my high beam indicator always worked. So.. what is different in my setup is the relay i have. My HID are directly connected to the battery with a relay.. where the oem harness switches that relay...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Did this Scott and thanks! Mine works again with the HID's. :)

Now need to know what they do since my Supra has the same problem.

Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
shastatodd

Drives: 2009 RED Yaris
Thank you Scott & Mike!
shastatodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i had the same problem when trying to disable drl's. i took out the module and was very happy for about a min.... with the module removed the DRL's, fogs and highbeams no longer worked...... u need to put that module back in but to disable the DRLs u need to cut the big blue wire (i opened up the module and cut the connectors right off the chip ) and everything works perfectly...... except the DRL's. if u are completly lost i'll try to get picks up by week end.

jsut a side note.... when i had the problem i didn't have any HID's installed so if the problem is dirrectly related to them then i dont think the module will be too much help..... give it a shot if u like
Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
this is the simplest fix.
I used the right side (unused) Original Headlight socket to make these connections.
50 cents and done in a jiffy. If you want to make it "professional" looking. buy a connector from Radio Shack and fabricate the wiring on that, and plug it into the old harness.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
shastatodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
I used the right side (unused) Original Headlight socket to make these connections.
50 cents and done in a jiffy. If you want to make it "professional" looking. buy a connector from Radio Shack and fabricate the wiring on that, and plug it into the old harness.
The previous (cluster) "fix" did not work, but this one (the under hood fix) did resolve the issue. I DID use the 10K ohm resister in series with the gray instrument cluster wire to dim the overly bright blue high beam indicator... so this is a bit of a hybrid method taking the best of the two fixes for the non-functional high beam indicator problem after the HID conversion.

Todd
Old 02-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastatodd View Post
The previous (cluster) "fix" did not work, but this one (the under hood fix) did resolve the issue. I DID use the 10K ohm resister in series with the gray instrument cluster wire to dim the overly bright blue high beam indicator... so this is a bit of a hybrid method taking the best of the two fixes for the non-functional high beam indicator problem after the HID conversion.

Todd
If you are under the hood, installing the HID kit, then this method is definitely easier. When you say that the first didn't work for you, did you actually snip the gray wire and leave the harness side disconnected (as opposed to tapping to the still connected gray wire)?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If you are under the hood, installing the HID kit, then this method is definitely easier. When you say that the first didn't work for you, did you actually snip the gray wire and leave the harness side disconnected (as opposed to tapping to the still connected gray wire)?
No, didn't have to snip the wire since the original R/H socket is not used with my HID kit. The kit has a complete harness with 2 bulb sockets. The kit plugs into the L/H bulb socket on the stock harness and feeds both left and right HID's

The stock harness still has related connections since nothing was ever "cut" to install the kit. Analyzing the circuit, the new low beams had no trickle circuit to the inst. cluster since it was isolated with the use of a new harness that only had connections from the ballast for power to fire the HID's
the Halogen bulb actually feds the indicator circuit so without the bulbs, no indicator illumination. Also remember the ind ckt is not High beams on, but more like low beams off.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
I used CTScott's method listed above and it worked perfectly for me.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #17
shastatodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yep I did clip the gray wire and connected the cluster side to the black wire on the right side connector. No joy, but the under the hood fix worked great, and since I clipped the gray wire I soldered it back together with a 10K resister in series to dim the obnoxiously bright blue high beam indicator.

Todd
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post

can somebody post a picture for this fix! I'm not really into electronics and would like to figure out how it's done. Thanks