Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
vinyl decals?

I think that is the right words....

Anyways! I was helping out someone at church with a sign. Peeling away the extra junk for some vinyl sign stuff... she appreciated the help so much she said that she would hook me up with some free stickers for my car. I just have no idea what to get?! Any ideas yarisworld?

Also, anybody have any experience with vinyl decal stuffz? Is it okay on the paint? Does it generally stay on pretty good in the weather or does it peel and crack pretty easily? I know that can sorta depend on the quality of material... and I have no idea what quality the material is...

thoughts?

suggestions?
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I worked for about a year in a sign shop and know quite a bit about vinyl. For your car you want PREMIUM vinyl. It's more pliable than the cheap stuff, and lasts at least double (usually rated for 7-10 years), also more color options. Avoid reflective as it has a poor lifespan. You'll want to clean the area you wish to apply real good with 70% rubbing alcohol too, and using a stiff squeegee or stiff store discount card apply from the center outward. Google on how to apply vinyl and it will help.

As for stickers you can get the yarisworld decal, aftermarket parts logos, etc.
search www.brandsoftheworld.com for vector artwork (the kind needed for vinyl).
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ ooh good link. I like Oracal vinyl the best.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Oracal is good, but I like how pliable gerber scotchcal is, but either will be excellent choices.

Yeah its a great site, cut most of my logos from there except for sprint performance, as I can't find their vector logo anywhere, nor one good enough to make a vector out of. Got one off ebay but it was only available in silver and I want black
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Kapco, Oracal, Avery - all good brands.

I worked in a sign shop for 3 years and still produce a lot of items to this day. You can get different levels of performance; a basic vinyl lasts up to 5 years. Premium vinyls last 7+ years. Either is okay to use on a car (on paint or glass).

It will, however, protect the clear coat and have that spot be "shinier" when you remove the decals in a few years.

Good luck!
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
It will, however, protect the clear coat and have that spot be "shinier" when you remove the decals in a few years.
Oh yeah almost forgot about that, lol. I had a Chevy Astro van from our local public library and got it at auction. In the right light you could still see their logo on the door. But any body shop should be able to buff it out.

Oh, if you want the yarisworld logo, you need to search for "yarisworld.com". I used to upload a lot to the site but they don't recognize me as a user (astroman) for some reason. Sucks because I made a lot of automotive logos for the site.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Already got the Yarisworld.com on the back of the hatch!!! First sticker on the car, and to this day, still the BEST sticker on the yaris! Got that pretty chrome one :)

The thing is... I have an offer for FREE vinyl... The thing is... Don't know what I want... And not sure exactly how much area is available for me to take. But I'm not really looking for another window sticker or anything. I was thinking more along the lines of a racing stripe or some tribal design on the side or something. I was told I could get "something" for free. If I ended up wanting to get more than "something" I'm sure I could get an awesome deal on it. Applying it though would be the tricky part since I plan on doing it myself. Probably with help from my friend that would be supplying the product though.

So really, I'm trying to brainstorm design ideas... and 2 heads > 1... so... a whole yarisworld of heads >>>>> 1?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #8
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Stripes are easy to make, but hard to install so I hope they're offering to install as well. What about a nice big TRD or yaris logo kinda at an angle.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

I don't have any TRD stuff installed :-( so that's a no, but a huge Yaris at an angle on the side might be pretty sweet... I'll check on that one.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Great info, thanks. I've been kind of toying with the idea of a large roof vinyl decal. Probably won't do it but, to use the old Mini Cooper roof flag idea, just substitute a Japanese Flag for the Union Jack on the roof of a Yaris. Not the Standard Japanese flag but the War Flag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L-1964-Austin-Mini-Cooper-S.jpg (80.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: png War_flag_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army.svg.png (42.6 KB, 151 views)
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

now that IS an idea I REALLY like!! a big roof decal... I just need something will look alright on black... I am still thinking about the angled YARIS on the side to. Maybe in some shade of grey.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
that IS a great idea!!

I have a YarisWorld sticker on the back bumper. Looks really nice there, right above the license plate.

But a big giant one on the roof (assuming you find the right design) could be brillant!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

A sating black might look really good, subtle yet visible on black. Seen a few mustangs around town (and one member here) that have black cars and a satin black stripe, might work good for the logo on the side. Either way I can't wait to see what you decide to do!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i made some barcode graphics :
I think that's one of the most original trim ideas I've seen
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
karr1213
4-Banger N00b

Drives: Aisubeki '09 Yaris.
I like the idea of gray on your black Yaris. I went with black on my Carmine red Yaris

Subtle but noticeable. I didn't want the design to scream.

The only others I personally would add are the Yarisworld decal (someone should just sell theses!) or the name of my car in Hirigana.

PK198105 The barcode is really neat. Does it actually say anything? There are actual barcode generators. I was just curious if this actually says something.

That's all the ideas I have for you. Be sure to show us what you end up doing.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I like the idea of a subtle 'rising sun' on your roof, that is something I'd love to do as well!
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote