Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Rant! Damn car alarm installers, trying to rip me off!!!!

So I installed my Power windows and locks plus keyless entry a while back. Now I decided to get a "professionally installed" alarm with all the bells and whistles, and these guys at the shop tell me that my whole locking system is crap(yeah right) and that they have a problem making it work with the integrated keyless entry of the alarm... They pulled out my keyless entry module and my power locks work fine, but those guys wouldn't connect it to the alarm module unless I give them more cash... What kind of BS is that?... So I have a fancy(and expensive) alarm and power locks, but I have to use the key everytime I want to lock/unlock my doors. The guys at the shop want $60 an hour to "figure out" how to connect the power locks to the alarm module, then they tell me it will not go beyond $200, while I looked at them like "are you f*cking crazy?"... or go the easy route and have them install the lock actuators that they sell for $75 a piece times 2... Man, I hate these MOFOS, they tell me I CAN'T do it myself because it will void the warranty of the alarm, so here I am not knowing what to do...Should I just tell them to go f*ck themselves and take it to another shop? I paid good money to have that alarm installed locally, because I didn't want to take my car to the Bronx or Queens though it would have been half price... Seriously, what should I do in that case?... I am really pissed off!
Thanks for your time!
W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
It pays to shop around, though my car is like that. You need the remote to unlock and lock my car. If you use the key, the alarm would go off becuz the remote didnt disable the alarm. I dont understand why the hell toyota gave me a spare key, not a spare remote!!! Cuz there no use of my key!!!

Anway yes tell em to f**k off, obviously car repairers and mechanics rip people off all the time, especially people who dont know anything about cars and what its worth to get the job done and how easy it is. So i suggest you shop around, get the best quote.

I remember i went to some behind gas station mechanic and i told him to give me a wheel alignment. THATS ALL I WANTED. This is what he gave me.

>New headlight bulbs (BTW i didnt notice a difference at night)
>Wheel allignment (thats what i only wanted)
>Hubcap and tire cleaning (wtf for!!??)
>Engine Cleaning (WAT DA!?)
>He Touched up my minor scratches
>Gave me an air freshener
>Gave me new water
>Oil change

And all i wanted is a wheel allignment, total cost was $300 AUD....of course i didnt pay for it, only paid for the wheel allignment after arguing for 30 mins. But that service was from my old car. My 98 Corolla. Sad huh?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
It pays to shop around, though my car is like that. You need the remote to unlock and lock my car. If you use the key, the alarm would go off becuz the remote didnt disable the alarm. I dont understand why the hell toyota gave me a spare key, not a spare remote!!! Cuz there no use of my key!!!

Anway yes tell em to f**k off, obviously car repairers and mechanics rip people off all the time, especially people who dont know anything about cars and what its worth to get the job done and how easy it is. So i suggest you shop around, get the best quote.

I remember i went to some behind gas station mechanic and i told him to give me a wheel alignment. THATS ALL I WANTED. This is what he gave me.

>New headlight bulbs (BTW i didnt notice a difference at night)
>Wheel allignment (thats what i only wanted)
>Hubcap and tire cleaning (wtf for!!??)
>Engine Cleaning (WAT DA!?)
>He Touched up my minor scratches
>Gave me an air freshener
>Gave me new water
>Oil change

And all i wanted is a wheel allignment, total cost was $300 AUD....of course i didnt pay for it, only paid for the wheel allignment after arguing for 30 mins. But that service was from my old car. My 98 Corolla. Sad huh?
Yes, sad... What pisses me off the most is that they are like "take it or leave it"... They think that I don't know shit, even after I installed all that shit myself... I even showed up with my HIDs freshly installed(by me) and without even looking under the hood they told me that I was very lucky I didn't fry anything... They have no respect for their customers.. I hate dishonest people... Well, They won't get my bussiness anymore even if they decide to do the job for free... I will show up tomorrow with both the installation manual from the alarm and the one from the power locks... Let's see what they say once I show them what they are supposed to do... Pfff!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
just do it yourself, if you were to just buy an alarm, and install it compleatly yourself, would it void the warranty?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
just do it yourself, if you were to just buy an alarm, and install it compleatly yourself, would it void the warranty?
Johnny, what they meant is that if I screwed up for any reason they would not take any responsibility, so I'd be on my own... The way they put it is, $200 more or I'm stuck with this set up....
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Ya shop around man, I wanted a remote start for my manual. Places around here just don't do it. And the only place I could find in state wanted 600bucks. Did some digging and found a place that did it for 200bucks with the alarm I had.
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 AM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I just got a quote for a car alarm with a car starter, I am lookin at about $500
Old 11-15-2006, 03:41 AM   #8
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
If your confident then install it yourself i recon...but if ur not then shop around for a good reliable dealer that looks legit and honest. Though why dont u go to your ginuwine toyota repairer??

Thats what i do anyway, when i need a part or need something to install just get a quote from my local Toyota Dealer.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
I just got a quote for a car alarm with a car starter, I am lookin at about $500
A few weeks ago, I had an alarm, remote start, and keyless entry installed at Circuit City for arount 230 bucks. The car already had power locks. It is a Python something or other.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I took my old Camry with a four year old alarm/remote start back to Circuit City because the remote start had stopped working and it has a lifetime waranty. The spent hours going back over the whole install to troubleshoot it before replacing the brain - all free.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
i just got offered 330 for a viper 560xv, 1000ft, remote start, kill start, keyless entry, and alarm. is this good? they also said i might need to pay an extra 60 if i have some bypass thing on the car starter and they said they would need to check it. do i have this? (i have a 07 us sedan)
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfront
Ya shop around man, I wanted a remote start for my manual. Places around here just don't do it. And the only place I could find in state wanted 600bucks. Did some digging and found a place that did it for 200bucks with the alarm I had.

$600 is brutal!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 AM   #13
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
$500 is what I paid, but these f*ckers want $200 more so it would work with my power locks... I should have said that those were the factory power locks and see what they had to say about them.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #14
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflb55
i just got offered 330 for a viper 560xv, 1000ft, remote start, kill start, keyless entry, and alarm. is this good? they also said i might need to pay an extra 60 if i have some bypass thing on the car starter and they said they would need to check it. do i have this? (i have a 07 us sedan)
Sounds fine... Mine has the LCD remote and 1 1/4 mile range plus a thousand features, all for $500... That thing will even war up the car if temperature is so low it might affect the battery... Cool!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I dont know what some of the car alarms look like out of the box but I bought a car starter a few years ago figuring id do it myself.... needless to say its still in the box. Unless your 'wire savy' its a bit beyond wiring an amp or something. I couldnt believe how many wires this thing had....
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
Here's the wiring diagram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doorlocks.JPG (26.6 KB, 102 views)
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #17
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
Here's the wiring diagram
Thanks a million!... I got your PM!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #18
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Thank you all for your help!!!! It took me five minutes!!!