Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2023, 02:28 PM   #37
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrenman View Post
That sucks!

I have no "shinies" when I inspect oil after a change. I hope it works out for you. Try changing the filter again, Maybe it is a brake in or defective filter.
you have to keep in mind im still flushing out the crap from toyota not locking the timing guides in place from new, which resulted in a destroyed vvt, 3 inches of timing guide that was both shaved off and broken, multiple grooves in the block and head...at this point im just buying time till i can gatehr everything for a 1.8 swap.....as i suspect alot of material got embedded in the bearings

"if" the engine goes another 100k ill be blown away, but theres no way it will go the 400k some guys get out of it...even if its only got 120k on it..the carnage from toyotas F-up will inevitably lead to a shorter life on the engine
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:24 PM   #38
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Run it till it dies! I have to believe it will last a long time anyway whatever happened to it.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:44 AM   #39
Calrenman

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
I would be worried about the rings but if it is quiet and has good compression think if the silver flakes as aluminum lubricant! Its softer than the rings or the crank! Burn that puppy to the ground!
There is a 1.8 that fits in our cars... neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
you have to keep in mind im still flushing out the crap from toyota not locking the timing guides in place from new, which resulted in a destroyed vvt, 3 inches of timing guide that was both shaved off and broken, multiple grooves in the block and head...at this point im just buying time till i can gatehr everything for a 1.8 swap.....as i suspect alot of material got embedded in the bearings

"if" the engine goes another 100k ill be blown away, but theres no way it will go the 400k some guys get out of it...even if its only got 120k on it..the carnage from toyotas F-up will inevitably lead to a shorter life on the engine
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #40
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
my primary concern is genuinly the bearing surfaces both getting washed with keroseen, disel, engine flush in an attempt to clear as much "flake" out of the engine as i could, i litteraly ran about 8 gallons thru it in the course of a day trying to get it clean....it stopped showing signs so i buttoned it up

1500mile oilchange resulted in seeing more.....so i know 2 things..flakes pushed past the filter for a long long long time(read years) so how much material has been embedded in the bearing surfaces.......which means when it goes it will likely toss a rod or a bearing or both..

so yeah ive started my 1.8 swap gathering..ive got the xd harness, motormounts and some other bits...just keeping an eye out for a low mile cheep 1.8
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:10 AM   #41
Calrenman

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE Hatchie
XD, Scion? If I tried that here in the peoples republic I would be in solitary for some reason or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
my primary concern is genuinly the bearing surfaces both getting washed with keroseen, disel, engine flush in an attempt to clear as much "flake" out of the engine as i could, i litteraly ran about 8 gallons thru it in the course of a day trying to get it clean....it stopped showing signs so i buttoned it up

1500mile oilchange resulted in seeing more.....so i know 2 things..flakes pushed past the filter for a long long long time(read years) so how much material has been embedded in the bearing surfaces.......which means when it goes it will likely toss a rod or a bearing or both..

so yeah ive started my 1.8 swap gathering..ive got the xd harness, motormounts and some other bits...just keeping an eye out for a low mile cheep 1.8
Calrenman is offline   Reply With Quote