Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #1
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Versa aces crash tests

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/14/...sts/index.html

This is on CNN today. Yaris did well too, atleast with the side airbags. Check out the ratings.
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
ahhhhh. these are the tests i've been waiting for! i dont trust the nhtsa test because their testing methods, although filled with statistical data so it seems uber-scientific, use out-dated testing procedures in situations that seem to only happen hypothetically. the iihs tests give more real-world application testing procedures, as well as give detailed summaries as to what injuries can actually happen to you, unlike the nhtsa results which just bombard you with numbers that make no practical sense. its one of the reasons i chose my sienna, because the iihs reports showed that rear passengers in an odyssey could receive chest trauma during a side impact. i'm sorry, but my children are going to be in the backseats!! so i decided to go with the sienna, who received great results for the side impacts. i think this is the one and ONLY time you can trust the insurance companies, since they definitely want you to be in a safer car so they dont have dole out money fixing both you and your vehicle after an accident. my $0.02

--B
Old 12-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
warning for those without side-airbags!! here is what i read from the iihs website about the possible injuries from a side impact WITHOUT side-airbags...

"Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would also be possible."

i'm soooo glad we ordered ours with those. i'm pissed that we're still waiting though...

--B

Last edited by static808; 12-19-2006 at 04:56 PM.
static808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
IMO, every car should come equipped standard w/ side airbags. Kudos to Nissan for making them standard! Now if they'd only get their mileage up a notch. ;)

The initial price tag of the Yaris is attractive, but I wouldn't buy a car without said amenities.
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Bretsuaz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Side airbags and ABS should be standard. I think Toyota is making a mistake by making safety features optional. Especially when they dont even make enough of the cars to really give the buyer a choice. I had to wait, and search for quite some time to get one with side bags and ABS. I have a friend who is a photographer for the Sheriffs office, and when I told him I was buying a car without side bags he said I was an idiot! He has photographed alot of dead people in cars. Thats why I waited instead of settling for one without. I drive too much to not feel safe. I bought my car 9/24 and it has 10,000 miles on it.
Bretsuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #6
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
i'm working with a dealership to get me ABS and side air bags with either the convenience package or with the power package. :) the convenience package combo is pretty rare, with the power package being a bit more common around here. fully worth the wait though IMO. :)
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Is side airbags even an OPTION with the Canadian models (CE, LE, and RS)???

I dont think it is at all!
Old 12-24-2006, 04:02 AM   #8
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
wouldnt be too tough to add side bags would it? I'd imagine, at least, they bolt right in, at least to some extent?
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote