Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Crank pulley's for Yaris?

I read this on another forum about crank pulley's, could it be true for our Yaris?

"be aware that fiting an undampend pulley in place of a dampend one can cause nasty harmoinc vibrations that can break the crank.now it may well be fine but unless i was having the whole bottom end dynamic balanced i wouldnt risk it. toyota put a dampened pulley on there for a reason."
Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
People debate this all the time. Some say don't install one while others say it won't hurt anything. If you search you'll find info on this.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
ToTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
People debate this all the time. Some say don't install one while others say it won't hurt anything. If you search you'll find info on this.
I've searched and found many mixed views and opinions on this... I just dont know the real deal? I ordered one, hasn't arrived yet, most likely next week, just wanted to know some more direct info on this.

What can it actually hurt? Can it break as mentioned? I know a lot of people have this installed on their cars, Yaris as well. I've just never heard of anything going wrong by installing this mod.

Opinions and feedback?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
For every person that says you'll need to balance the bottom end there is someone else with 80,000 miles on their aftermarket crank pulley.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
ToTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
For every person that says you'll need to balance the bottom end there is someone else with 80,000 miles on their aftermarket crank pulley.
Thanks so much for the info! Are you satisfied with your pulley? What differences have you noticed compared to the stock pulley?

By the way, nice DIY write up on the pulley!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo View Post
Thanks so much for the info! Are you satisfied with your pulley? What differences have you noticed compared to the stock pulley?

By the way, nice DIY write up on the pulley!
Thanks.

I am definitely satisfied. I can't vouch for how much power it makes in actuality, although I am trying to get it on a dyno so I can find out. All I can say is that throttle response was definitely improved, and I know some modest horsepower gain is there, although I don't want to speculate numbers based on the butt dyno. I'm excited to follow it with the rest of the lightened pulleys coming this summer.

For a little over a hundred bucks I don't see why everyone wouldn't have some type of lightened crank pulley on their car. Its the perfect first mod.

Don't forget though... NST FTW.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
I got my Yaris because I want it to last 200,000 miles, not 80,000. If that were the case I would have bought somthing other than a Toyota. I'm not saying a non-balanced crank pully will ruin your engine, just that 80,000 miles isn't a fair test for a Toyota. 200,000+ on a pully and you have confirmation it doe's no harm.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
nester
I made a post!

Drives: 2006 Scion tC-t
Send a message via AIM to nester
I don't think there's a tC with 200k on it yet.. but we're working on it.

I personally don't keep cars long enough to know vouch for long term reliability, stock, modified or otherwise.. One to two years at best.. :)
Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
This topic was brought up in the original NST group buy thread, and Mike from NST talked about it a little bit.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3239

I know so many people who use NST crank pulleys for thousands of miles and none of them have had any problems. I wouldn't ever touch crappy ebay junk, but I think a well designed high quality product should be just fine.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
i think it works just fine, if you worry about high mileages then just replace it every 100000 miles. :)
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
ToTo

Quote:
Thanks.

I am definitely satisfied. I can't vouch for how much power it makes in actuality, although I am trying to get it on a dyno so I can find out. All I can say is that throttle response was definitely improved, and I know some modest horsepower gain is there, although I don't want to speculate numbers based on the butt dyno. I'm excited to follow it with the rest of the lightened pulleys coming this summer.

For a little over a hundred bucks I don't see why everyone wouldn't have some type of lightened crank pulley on their car. Its the perfect first mod.

Don't forget though... NST FTW.
Thanks a lot! Im also thinking about this mod for the car... So basically, there's nothing to worry about regarding lightweight crank pulley's as a mod on the Yaris, right?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Crap.. so much more for me to buy...
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 AM   #13
RossP

Drives: MK I Vitz 1.0l F Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo View Post
? I ordered one, hasn't arrived yet, most likely next week, just wanted to know some more direct info on this.
You get a Perrin one dude? How much you pay?
RossP is offline   Reply With Quote