Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
GUDE cylinder heads opinion

Im looking for anyone whom has experience with these,it seems quite reasonable outlay of money for a 20-30 h.p advertised increase. Like any performance mod ..better off believing it makes 1/2 of what the seller claims. But a 20 h.p increase is pretty hefty for these lil engines..and might just pass a smog inspection in Calif.

Turbo is totally un-drivable for a daily driver @200 miles a day and the cost is a waste of $ at 6-7 thousand bucks..Id buy a used M3 before I ever consider that.
A Supercharger is just too much $ once all the engine management stuff required is added , also could as the turbo could " technically" get my car impounded

Anyways Pros and Cons on the GUDE cylinder heads..dual valvesprings, has that caused any maintenance issues? How do you consider their port work and has it made any "real" VERIFIED performance increases...not just a dyno printout we all know that often its usually engineered for sales. Would prefer some side to side comparisions. Thanks in advance
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The only one I think who actually had one might have been hellion, not sure he comes here much but he was on microimage selling some stuff off of his car, might be able to ask him there.

Also check out CTScott's thread about the used s/c on ebay going for $1600. That is a deal.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The first real question since you are talking about how expensive certain builds are would be what is your price range for parts and labor. Gude doesn't ha e a very good reputation with the 1nz as far as I know and I ha e been part of the 1nz family for almost 8 years. There is some discussion about making some NA changes that will actually net you a 30-40 wheel hp/tq bump in the Dyno Chart thread recently.

sent from my m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
From everything I've seen porting doesn't seem to give much more lift flow. So it probably won't give much HP withought changed to cams and such.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I read an article on one of the Scion sites a while back and it does have the results that they claim, but to reach its full potential you need fuel management, so make sure you factor that into the cost. If I remember correctly the cost about $1800 + your head as a core. Add fuel management and installation to that and you are up in supercharger or turbo range. I would imagine as well that to take full advantage you would also need to upgrade the air intake and exhaust manifold to match the extra flow of the enhanced head.

If you want to add performance without having your California inspection issues, why not swap the engine to a Scion XD 2ZR-FE, which is the 1.8L offered in the Vitz in Japan. It would look stock and the XD ECM can be easily reprogrammed with your VIN, so that the ECM would even respond with the proper VIN.