Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #37
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Wished this car was available in the US. I love how my 08 two door hatch looks, but this weighs 63lbs lighter. I wouldn't have to go on a diet when I decide to make mine a track car.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #38
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Wished this car was available in the US. I love how my 08 two door hatch looks, but this weighs 63lbs lighter. I wouldn't have to go on a diet when I decide to make mine a track car.
You can import them from Canada into some states, MI is really easy. Or you can import RHD versions from Japan in a few years once they get out of the 25-year blackout period (they don't have FMVSS or EPA certification for North America).
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #39
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
I love this build so much.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #40
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
You can import them from Canada into some states, MI is really easy. Or you can import RHD versions from Japan in a few years once they get out of the 25-year blackout period (they don't have FMVSS or EPA certification for North America).
Sorry in advance for hijacking the topic... I've always loved the Vitz, even when I used to play Grand Tourismo on the PlayStation, I didn't care that my friends would laugh at me.

Yeah but it'd be in KPH... LOL! Not really a deal break. RHD is a no go for me, it'd be hard to drive on the CORRECT side of the road.

Not sure how much I'd have to pay through customs if I get one from Canada, any idea?

But back to the build... Kudos to the OP, your work inspires lots of us. Please post new dyno test after everything is completed.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #41
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Not sure how much I'd have to pay through customs if I get one from Canada, any idea?
For Michigan, you just transfer the title at the Secretary of State and pay whatever applicable taxes/fees for the value of the vehicle. Not sure about customs though since I bought it from TheBarber (who is a Canadian National that lives in MI on a visa). Check with your state's rules for importing vehicles for more details, I guess. :)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #42
Neinris

Quote:
For Michigan, you just transfer the title at the Secretary of State and pay whatever applicable taxes/fees for the value of the vehicle. Not sure about customs though since I bought it from TheBarber (who is a Canadian National that lives in MI on a visa). Check with your state's rules for importing vehicles for more details, I guess. :)
I really want to get back to the build, sorry for hijacking again. But thank you for that information. I'm still on the fence about it. I'll be moving back to Maryland sometime next month. Maybe I'll start inquiring when I get back.

I might just stick with my 08 Yaris, and start my own project. Thanks to the OP, some others here, and others on YT who have inspired me with their Frankenstein engines that I want to start my own Frankenstein project. I've vaguely mentioned in own "Frankenstein" post (https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=63299) about maybe putting a 3ZR bottom end for stroked crank, 2ZR-FXE 13:1 compression pistons, and 2ZR-FE head (no valvematic) together, the kicker is 2ZZ intake runners! Now that's a Frankenstein.

I'd take years for me to put that together. So anyone is more than welcome to experiment and steal this idea.

I'll end my question so we can focus on the OP's build.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #43
Neinris

What is the REV limit for this engine? Is it purely going to be a track car, or is it still going to be a daily driver? Any plans on changing the gear ratio of the transmission? Very few here in YW have changed to the Scion xB1's (bB in most part of the world) transmission, for a higher final drive which would put more torque to the ground, but loses on top end speed. I personally would go with the Scion xD's manual transmission and just change out the 5th gear for better fuel economy, the FD is between the Yaris and the xB1.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #44
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Any plans on changing the gear ratio of the transmission? Very few here in YW have changed to the Scion xB1's (bB in most part of the world) transmission, for a higher final drive which would put more torque to the ground, but loses on top end speed. I personally would go with the Scion xD's manual transmission and just change out the 5th gear for better fuel economy, the FD is between the Yaris and the xB1.
The Echo uses the C15X gearbox family, not the C5X. That really limits the availability of options without going back to much older cars (80's/90's) to find compatible gears. That rules out the xA/xB/xD and all of the 1ZZ-based platforms.

That said, the shorter final drive is great for AutoX but awful for road courses. Way too much top end speed given up, even with the 0.725:1 super-overdrive from the C59.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #45
speedworxs

Drives: |Mr2
Quote:
The Echo uses the C15X gearbox family, not the C5X. That really limits the availability of options without going back to much older cars (80's/90's) to find compatible gears. That rules out the xA/xB/xD and all of the 1ZZ-based platforms.
The c-gearbox will work for both engines (the c56 is paired with the 1nz vitz rs in Japan)... Just the need correct bellhousing section. But, I thought the echo chassis was narrower in the front and that's why it used the c150box, as it was physically smaller to fit. Likely the xB gearbox or xa would be the best bet for gearing differences, as the echo was mainly for fuel economy not any real performance
speedworxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #46
RomanDave

Drives: 2NZ ITB NCP10
Quote:
What is the REV limit for this engine? Is it purely going to be a track car, or is it still going to be a daily driver? Any plans on changing the gear ratio of the transmission? Very few here in YW have changed to the Scion xB1's (bB in most part of the world) transmission, for a higher final drive which would put more torque to the ground, but loses on top end speed. I personally would go with the Scion xD's manual transmission and just change out the 5th gear for better fuel economy, the FD is between the Yaris and the xB1.
Are you asking about my motor?

If so:

-No rev limiter currently. Until I've got some stronger rods I'll likely set the rev limiter somewhere around 8200-8300rpm.

And yes in this case, swapping to the C56 gearbox is an absolutely magical upgrade. Having the 4.3 final drive instead of the 3.5 makes the whole thing so much better. I'd not be suprised if my 1300cc motor would have been into the 15 second quarter mile range with the C56 box.

The individual ratios of the C56 are most excellent. On the shift from 2nd to 3rd, shifting at ~8800rpm it drops down to only around 6500rpm on gear change.
So it stays in the powerband awesomely.

sdfhjkj.jpg

As for the purpose of this car, it's not a daily driver anymore as I've got a work car. But it still returns fairly decent milage, the high compression actually makes it decently economical.

I've been getting somewhere around 5.5-6 litres per 100km. So thats somewhere around 40mpg.
I could still get it a little better with optimizing the ignition timing further, will get there eventually.
RomanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #47
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

I would love to swap my C50 for a C56, but getting one to Canada from Japan out of an NCP131 Vitz is north of 2 grand, the transmission itself is usually under $600 CAD, its the outrageous shipping that gets expensive very quickly.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:47 PM   #48
RomanDave

Meanwhile in New Zealand an RS model NCP91 had its C56 sit there at a DIY wrecker yard until the car got crushed... because I procrastinated too long to get it out!

One thing I noticed is that the shifter linkage arrangement and the engine mount positions are different on the later boxes (compared to my model)

The benefit is that it gives much much much better clearance for the exhaust and shifter cables.

A turbo swap would be a tight squeeze with an NCP13 box, if I was trying it with a half decent sized turbo I'd probably try make the NCP91 box work.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #49
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDave View Post
Are you asking about my motor?

If so:

-No rev limiter currently. Until I've got some stronger rods I'll likely set the rev limiter somewhere around 8200-8300rpm.

And yes in this case, swapping to the C56 gearbox is an absolutely magical upgrade. Having the 4.3 final drive instead of the 3.5 makes the whole thing so much better. I'd not be suprised if my 1300cc motor would have been into the 15 second quarter mile range with the C56 box.

The individual ratios of the C56 are most excellent. On the shift from 2nd to 3rd, shifting at ~8800rpm it drops down to only around 6500rpm on gear change.
So it stays in the powerband awesomely.

Attachment 61804

As for the purpose of this car, it's not a daily driver anymore as I've got a work car. But it still returns fairly decent milage, the high compression actually makes it decently economical.

I've been getting somewhere around 5.5-6 litres per 100km. So thats somewhere around 40mpg.
I could still get it a little better with optimizing the ignition timing further, will get there eventually.
That is awesome information! Do you get the Scion xD equivalent in New Zealand? It has a final gear drive of around 3.94, might be something to look into. The xB1, xD, and Yaris all have the same 1st to 5th gear ratio, just different final gear ratio, 4.31, 3.94, respectively and the Yaris here have 3.72, not 3.5 like you mentioned.

I wish I know how to tune the ECM, because I have another "Frankenstein" in mind.

Last edited by Neinris; 07-20-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 AM   #50
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Quote:
That is awesome information! Do you get the Scion xD equivalent in New Zealand? It has a final gear drive of around 3.94, might be something to look into. The xB1, xD, and Yaris all have the same 1st to 5th gear ratio, just different final gear ratio, 4.31, 3.94, respectively and the Yaris here have 3.72, not 3.5 like you mentioned.

I wish I know how to tune the ECM, because I have another "Frankenstein" in mind.
The 1st gen Yaris was labeled as the Echo in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. They have the 6 bolt C150 transmission with the god-awful 3.52 ratio.

The 2nd and 3rd gen Yaris have the slightly better ratio'd C50 with the 3.72FD. I wouldn't even waste my time with swapping in a better FD into a C50 gearset. They're still very much an economy transmission.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #51
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
The 1st gen Yaris was labeled as the Echo in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. They have the 6 bolt C150 transmission with the god-awful 3.52 ratio.

The 2nd and 3rd gen Yaris have the slightly better ratio'd C50 with the 3.72FD. I wouldn't even waste my time with swapping in a better FD into a C50 gearset. They're still very much an economy transmission.
I'd have to disagree, remcafee mentioned that he swapped in the xB1 FD and made the car really lively. I personally would go with the xD FD, which is easy because the transmission is already mated to the engine that I want to swap in.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:32 AM   #52
RomanDave

Quote:
Do you get the Scion xD equivalent in New Zealand? It has a final gear drive of around 3.94, might be something to look into.
I've got two NCP13 C56 boxes here, 4.3 ratio is a lot more preferable than a 3.94. So I wont bother with anything else.

Speaking of which,
I've just finished fitting an AE111 torsen into my spare one.
I'll be honest it battled me all of the way haha.
But I'm glad it's done now, cant wait to see how it performs with an LSD!

Had a few headaches including forgetting to put the speedo drive gear on before pressing the new bearing on...

gearbox.jpg

Some other issues, half way through the run of NCP13 boxes they changed a bearing and shim on one side of the diff head.

So AE111 and early NCP13 have same bearing and shim (19.4mm bearing)

Then late NCP13 and NCP91 have a different bearing and shim. 18.5mm and thicker shim)

So this box turned out to be an early one, but I ordered the late bearing.
So I pulled apart my 2004 C152 and it had the correct shim to make the new bearing work.

Probably about 10-12 hours total work, lots of mucking around.

But I could do one much quicker next time.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #53
CrankyOldMan

RomanDave has earned a skill point! (Gearboxes +1)

Awesome work, glad to see a fellow gearhead working with the gears. Looks like you did the bell housing split instead of pulling off 5th gear?
Old 08-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #54
RomanDave

Yeah thats right.

It was a bit tricky, but on the whole not bad - I'd do it that way again.

If the box needs new synchros or something, then I'd do it the other way of course.

But just for LSD install I figured this makes sense.