Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I Don't Think My Yaris Has DFCO

okay, i tried a tank using DFCO...i just filled up and calculated my gas mileage. it says i got 36 mpg! my average without using DFCO and just pressing down on my clutch is 38 mpg...yeah, i don't think my Yaris has DFCO.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
That's odd. All NA Yarii have it, Kaotic, and yours is the first time I've ever heard of DFCO causing less MPG rather than a gain.

Are you sure you used DFCO properly (i.e. above 1,100 RPM and no clutch)? Were there other factors that changed your mileage this tank (i.e. colder temps,, different fuel station or type, more aggressive driving, inclement weather, low tire pressures, more weight in the car, shorter trips, more traffic, extended idling, etc.)?

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
Ah Yum

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Don't sweat it. 38 is respectable to start with.
Ah Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
That's odd. All NA Yarii have it, Kaotic, and yours is the first time I've ever heard of DFCO causing less MPG rather than a gain.

Are you sure you used DFCO properly (i.e. above 1,100 RPM and no clutch)? Were there other factors that changed your mileage this tank (i.e. colder temps,, different fuel station or type, more aggressive driving, inclement weather, low tire pressures, more weight in the car, shorter trips, more traffic, extended idling, etc.)?
no, i'm not stepping on any pedals. the only things i did different were a couple more start up than usual, and using the A/C once on a very short trip (meaning no more than 15 miles, and the fan was set to 1 or 2 and wasn't on for the entire trip). i also drove 5 mph slower to compensate for the A/C. and i either switched to a lower gear or used the clutch once the RPM's hit 1500.

not sure if it makes a difference, but my Yaris was one of the first few batches in the Vallejo dealership...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Ah Yum has a valid point but the oddity of this is bugging me. hehe

Please try the test I outlined in my original post in the DFCO thread to determine if you really do or do not have DFCO.

Share the Road

Old 03-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
you guys get crazy mileage, i only get 32 at best (i've had 38 before but only on a freeway trip) but i pretty much only drive 'city' driving and im on it all the time, so 32 isnt bad, better than my cobra that got 19 on the freeway.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Anyone can get good mileage in any car, and in the right car you can get outstanding mileage.

All it takes is changing a few things with the vehicle and changing a lot of things with your driving style and tactics.

Share the Road

Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

lol...i'm not comfortable running that test you outlined in your thread though. i might try another tank to see if i do/do not have DFCO
Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
you guys get crazy mileage, i only get 32 at best (i've had 38 before but only on a freeway trip) but i pretty much only drive 'city' driving and im on it all the time, so 32 isnt bad, better than my cobra that got 19 on the freeway.
i drive mostly freeway and average between 65-70 mph.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Anyone can get good mileage in any car, and in the right car you can get outstanding mileage.

All it takes is changing a few things with the vehicle and changing a lot of things with your driving style and tactics.

Unless I am reading your site wrong, its shows your past few tanks with the MPG and the average speed driven..

I see 45mph speeds listed. If thats the case, its no wonder you get in the 40+ range per gallon.

Please correct me if Im wrong.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I'm seeing mid to upper 39's on average from mine. I don't use any "special" techniques (if DFCO is considered special). 99% of the time I never go past 3000 RPM, I'm trying to stay at 55 mph on the freeway at all times. I do occasionally hit 60 on those portions of the freeway that mandate that as the speed. Crusie control on as well and as little use of the fan as well.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Isn't it normal for automatics to get less MPG than the manual-trans models, overall?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
Isn't it normal for automatics to get less MPG than the manual-trans models, overall?
that is usually the case, but i think some cars with cvt trans get better mileage than manuals.

as far as the dfco method bailout has mentioned, i have been using it since the beginning of the current tank and so far it seems to be making a difference than just putting the car in neutral and coasting to a stop as i normally do.
i will know for sure once i refill.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
I see 45mph speeds listed. If thats the case, its no wonder you get in the 40+ range per gallon.
As you mentioned that is the average speed, taking into account city and highway driving (30-35 MPH in the city, 55-60 MPH highway). The reality of my daily commute is a twisting, winding, 2 lane, 30-50 MPH climb over a 4,500ft mountain (8,900ft summit), dropping 2,500ft on the back side, then the opposite on the way home. That is very far from optimal mileage conditions, especially in the colder months.

If you want to get better MPG on the highway the #1 thing you can do to help yourself is to slow down. Every MPH you drive over 55 takes away 1% of your fuel efficiency, and every MPH above 65 takes away as much as 5% due to the physics of aerodynamics. A common example used is that it takes an average of 20% more fuel to drive 70 than it does to drive 55. Get in the right-hand lane and stick to 55 MPH and watch your MPG shoot up.

Pumping up your tires to at least the max sidewall rating not only improves handling on wet and dry pavement but also increases MPG by decreasing rolling resistance, and increases the life of your tires by producing a much more even tread wear pattern. As an example I run my RE92's at 60 PSI for most of the year, dropping them to 44 PSI (which is the max sidewall) in snowy conditions.

Btw, the site linked in my sig, CleanMPG.com, isn't mine. I'm just a member and contributor. You can read much more about increasing your MPG there, and start logging your own fuel usage if you like.

Share the Road

Old 03-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #15
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
every MPH above 65 takes away as much as 5% due to the physics of aerodynamics.

Pumping up your tires to at least the max sidewall rating not only improves handling on wet and dry pavement but also increases MPG by decreasing rolling resistance, and increases the life of your tires by producing a much more even tread wear pattern. As an example I run my RE92's at 60 PSI for most of the year, dropping them to 44 PSI (which is the max sidewall) in snowy conditions.

Last night I was doing 110 MPH, that means... 225% more fuel !!!! well it was fun tough...

60 PSI ???? that's like twice the recommended pressure for the car!!
So it's Toyota recommending low tire pressures for us to get bad MPG ??
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #16
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
So it's Toyota recommending low tire pressures for us to get bad MPG ??
Toyota recommends a tire pressure based solely on ride comfort/smoothness rather than anything to do with mileage or handling.

The recommended 32 PSI is one half of the reason the Yaris feels like it's rolling laterally sometimes, especially in corners or high winds (the other half is the suspension). This is also one of the main things that leads to all the complaints of crappy and sluggish handling.

With the tires at 44-60 PSI there is a noticeably rougher ride as evidenced by slightly feeling a highway concrete joint in your seat when you used to just feel it on the control surfaces but that is a very small price to pay to get an MPG boost and much better handling.

For example, on the downhill side of my commute home there are 2 tighter-than-usual right-hand turns. They each have the warning signs for 30 MPH and back in my 32 PSI days I used to take them between 25 and 35 and could sometimes feel a little slippage. Now at 60 PSI I blow through there in a 5th gear DFCO at 45 MPH without so much as a tire squeal or wobble.

Share the Road

Old 03-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #17
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the info, Ill be sure to look into the site a little more.

Side not, you ever try doing 55mph even in the slow lane in NEW JERSEY??? Aint gonna happen!!

Quote:
As you mentioned that is the average speed, taking into account city and highway driving (30-35 MPH in the city, 55-60 MPH highway). The reality of my daily commute is a twisting, winding, 2 lane, 30-50 MPH climb over a 4,500ft mountain (8,900ft summit), dropping 2,500ft on the back side, then the opposite on the way home. That is very far from optimal mileage conditions, especially in the colder months.

If you want to get better MPG on the highway the #1 thing you can do to help yourself is to slow down. Every MPH you drive over 55 takes away 1% of your fuel efficiency, and every MPH above 65 takes away as much as 5% due to the physics of aerodynamics. A common example used is that it takes an average of 20% more fuel to drive 70 than it does to drive 55. Get in the right-hand lane and stick to 55 MPH and watch your MPG shoot up.

Btw, the site linked in my sig, CleanMPG.com, isn't mine. I'm just a member and contributor. You can read much more about increasing your MPG there, and start logging your own fuel usage if you like.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #18
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Toyota recommends a tire pressure based solely on ride comfort/smoothness rather than anything to do with mileage or handling.

The recommended 32 PSI is one half of the reason the Yaris feels like it's rolling laterally sometimes, especially in corners or high winds (the other half is the suspension). This is also one of the main things that leads to all the complaints of crappy and sluggish handling.

With the tires at 44-60 PSI there is a noticeably rougher ride as evidenced by slightly feeling a highway concrete joint in your seat when you used to just feel it on the control surfaces but that is a very small price to pay to get an MPG boost and much better handling.

For example, on the downhill side of my commute home there are 2 tighter-than-usual right-hand turns. They each have the warning signs for 30 MPH and back in my 32 PSI days I used to take them between 25 and 35 and could sometimes feel a little slippage. Now at 60 PSI I blow through there in a 5th gear DFCO at 45 MPH without so much as a tire squeal or wobble.
None of the following links agree with your statement.

I just think that running on 60psi tires is not very safe... even more if you are driving up and down a hill every day.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ressure_guide/

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=72

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote