Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Front Bumper Lip Refurbish

My 2000 Civic lip took some slight damage so I decided to refurb it. I am re-contouring some of the lines. It will be get a couple coats of polyester primer, urethane base coat and a few heavy coats of clear coat for durability. I have been scoping out paintable carbon fiber lips for the car and there aren't many choices. The Seibon lip is durable and would be an easy install, but I'm not wild about the look. Some day, I may purchase a complete body kit.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
This is an excellent mod

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
This is an excellent mod
Thanks dude!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Polyester primer - 3 coats...

Primer went on smooth but barely flows through my 1.9 mm tip gun. I had to spray at close to 50 psi to get it to lay down smoothly.

Primer still wet

Tape removed. Sanding with 400 grit tomorrow and hopefully base coat and clearcoat. I added a mini HVLP gun to my collection and look forward to applying the basecoat and maybe clearcoat with it.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Always enjoy watching your projects progress.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Always enjoy watching your projects progress.
Thanks, Kimona. I'm really glad you enjoy them.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Base and clear applied

It turned out pretty decent. Not perfect, but pretty good. There is a very small ridge where I didn't get the taping perfect where the lip meets the bumper. It's almost unnoticeable. However, since it's all the same color and same clear coat, I can wet sand and polish to eliminate the line.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 06-26-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice job!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Very nice job! I've kept mine in plastic black cause I don't know if I want to keep it black or "color match". Yours is doing the same thing as mine, you can see it at the profile view, it curls up at the ends, it's not parallel to the ground. I want to unmount mine and make it parallel to the ground, right now only held by rivets.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Very nice job! I've kept mine in plastic black cause I don't know if I want to keep it black or "color match". Yours is doing the same thing as mine, you can see it at the profile view, it curls up at the ends, it's not parallel to the ground. I want to unmount mine and make it parallel to the ground, right now only held by rivets.
Hmmm...interesting about the curling up at the ends. Now I want to remove mine and level it like you suggest. I know that there has been something that always bothered me about it, and now I know what that is. It needs to be level with the ground. I think when I originally installed it, it sort of fell into that position so I didn't argue with it too much. But, yes, it would be a dramatic improvement to have it level. Also, I have never been particularly fond of the way it transitions from the gradual curve of the bumper to the narrow flattened circumference section around the wheel well; that 1 - 2" wide section (for lack of a better explanation).

I am considering having the car professionally painted. I've been looking at body kits but have yet to find something that really appeals to me. Obviously, I would get the kit and send it along to the body shop.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
My two cents is that as-is, or leveled, it looks good. Can play it either way.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
Thanks, Ernie! If I were doing it again, I'd likely try to get it level. Am I going to remove it and level it? Unlikely. It would be an astronomical amount of work, especially since I'd have to do a lot of body work to repair the area that it's currently attached to.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #13
Neinris

Quote:
I agree with ern-diz, it looks good now. You don't really have to level it, I just happened to notice it, and mine's just a bit more noticeable than yours. Mine's temporarily installed with rivets, so I can still adjust it. I really want to level mine and do something about how it's mounted towards the wheel wells, I want it flare out. I'm gong to have to revisit your other post on how you filled the ends. Also, I went with the Spoon replica lip, just to break away from what everyone else is using here. I think it looks slightly better, but that's just me. I'm gonna color match it eventually, along with the rear bumper add on and the spoiler. The replica spoiler that I got doesn't fit that well, the tips are rubbing onto the rear pillars. So it's preventing me from installing it, not sure if it's safe to put in the oven and curl the tips up a bit to prevent the rubbing.
I'm still looking around for side skirts that's a little more aggressive.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
I agree with ern-diz, it looks good now. You don't really have to level it, I just happened to notice it, and mine's just a bit more noticeable than yours. Mine's temporarily installed with rivets, so I can still adjust it. I really want to level mine and do something about how it's mounted towards the wheel wells, I want it flare out. I'm gong to have to revisit your other post on how you filled the ends. Also, I went with the Spoon replica lip, just to break away from what everyone else is using here. I think it looks slightly better, but that's just me. I'm gonna color match it eventually, along with the rear bumper add on and the spoiler. The replica spoiler that I got doesn't fit that well, the tips are rubbing onto the rear pillars. So it's preventing me from installing it, not sure if it's safe to put in the oven and curl the tips up a bit to prevent the rubbing.
I'm still looking around for side skirts that's a little more aggressive.
I found this and like it. I don't recall seeing it as an option when I was initially searching.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...4AAOSwIBJaXmBF

EDIT: After looking at it again, I feel that the recesses/holes in this lip might get distorted badly as it's curved to meet the Yaris bumper. It think it would be very difficult to maintain their shape as it wraps around the gentle curves of the Yaris bumper cover.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
Neinris

I'm mistaken, mine's JUN replica.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-92-95-...75.c1#viTabs_0

Old 06-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
I'm mistaken, mine's JUN replica.
I like that. How much did you have to cut off each end?

Old 06-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice job, as always ;)
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Nice job, as always ;)
Thanks man!