Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #73
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Yeah I had my spare Yaris shell all wired up pretty quickly. Only had to move around 10 or so pins to make it work. I was so sure it was going to work simply because all the ECU plugs were the same. However, when you look a little closer, all of the 3rd gen Yaris systems and general build of the vehicle more closely resembles that of the Scion IM rather than the XD. Modifying cars was a lot easier before the days of CANBUS :S

For the ZRE18X swap I've purchased some sumitomo plugs that will take the existing Yaris ECU pins and will then allow me to crimp the pigtails of the ZRE182 ecu plug so I can build a patch harness and avoid chopping anything up. The only real difference in wiring then is that the there's no ELS1 on the ZRE18X, the thermos are controlled via the RFC pin, and the +BM wire goes to the larger ECU connector instead of the smaller one on the Yaris. In saying all that, your conversion in NA is more complicated due to that Valvematic system :(

The speedo won't be a problem. I just wrecked a ZRE18X and pulled the ABS actuator out of it. I'll be swapping that in when I do my conversion along with a new master cylinder and reservoir to clear the top of the engine.

Yeah I'd love to have a drive of the 3ZR in a Yaris before committing. I do think it'd make a big difference around town with it's torque band, but I'm just not convinced for the price. If you were simply using the block though with a 2ZR head and a piggy back management system....that might be worth it.

For anyone interested in the quoted numbers that each engine makes

ADM 1NZ = 81kw @ 6000rpm and 141nm @ 4200rpm
ADM 2ZR = 103kw @ 6400rpm and 173nm @ 4000rpm
ADM 3ZR = 107kw @ 6200rpm and 187nm @ 3600rpm

So the 3ZR comes in at 8% more torque at 400rpm earlier when compared to the 2ZR. That's where you'd notice it, but I speculate that the 3ZR wouldn't rev as easy as the 2ZR. The power gains are negligible and I think you end up with a slightly lower redline with the 3ZR.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #74
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I agree about wanting to drive it before committing to it but there's no way to do that around here. You could at least drive an Altis to see what the engine feels like in general. =)

The other problem would be that I'd have to add another 270 lbs of vehicle weight to be able to run that displacement in the class I'm building for. That also ignores the fact that I'd have to use the FAE head and deal with the valvematic shenanigans, so it's pretty much right out for that line of inquiry. For a streetable daily driver it would be an interesting project, if only for posterity.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #75
stidnam

Yeah sounds all too hard and not really worth it at the end of the day. After having driven a 2ZR Yaris, I think I'll be happy with that. I'm most looking forward to having the EC60 gearbox and Quaife though. That actually excites me more than the 2ZR. The shifter and clutch feel is so much nicer than the Yaris setup. I'm anticipating that it'll feel like a completely different car when I'm done.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:09 AM   #76
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Drives: 2003 Toyota Echo comp hack
update?

In Sydney, so it was refreshing to hear about some of the challenges the NA Crew have that are easier in Aus, and vice versa.

I just posted up a thread to see if there's anyone in NA that can help source xD bits for a conversion.

We need a three way agreement between NA/Europe/ANZ (Australia and New Zealand) to find and ship stuff to each other.

Been looking to just do a 1NZ conversion in my Echo (NCP10) and had a wrecker quote $1000AUD ($700USD) just for the ECM.

Next step after that is the 2ZR/EC6x Swap, either in the Echo or a Yaris.
daewoo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #77
stidnam

I've slowly been gathering the parts required to do this whole thing in one weekend (fingers crossed). Because the ZRE18X ECU runs completely different plugs to the ZRE152/XD/Yaris ECU, it's necessary to either solder or build a patch harness.

I didn't like the idea of soldering close to 30 wires or the idea of chopping all my current wiring. Not that I'm ever going to reverse this conversion, but I hate the idea of irreversible modifications. So I went out and bought all the plugs I'd need to build a harness to go from the existing Yaris ECU pins to the ZRE18X ECU plug.

Connectors and terminals are all readily available from Japan and only took a couple of hours to crimp up.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #78
spoonzz

Drives: 5D YR 2012 Auto
So excited to see your progress. I need to find a manual Yaris one day!

Where did you learn all this knowledge by the way? Just researching and trying things on your own?
spoonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #79
stidnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonzz View Post
So excited to see your progress. I need to find a manual Yaris one day!

Where did you learn all this knowledge by the way? Just researching and trying things on your own?
Hundreds of hours of research and thousands of dollars in mistakes :). The Yaris is good like that for someone starting out. It's simple and cheap.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #80
stidnam

Finally got around to doing the conversion. Not finished yet as I need to sort out exhaust and an overflow bottle. However, it starts!

The patch loom seems to have worked a treat and fuse box just needed repinning. So no soldering required.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #81
CrankyOldMan

Congrats! Feels great to have it running again, I'll bet!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 AM   #82
stidnam

Feels good knowing it's all going to work. Doesn't feel as good that it's still not driving and I don't yet have a solution for the exhaust.

So close yet so far.

I've just got to have patience. The whole conversion took me a lot longer than I expected. I think I spent a solid 4 - 5 hours wiring it up on the weekend

Also, these are totally amazing - https://www.hi-1000ec.com/product-list/85 makes splicing so much easier vs soldering. They are also what you'd ordinarily find in a factory loom where Toyota have had to splice wires together.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #83
CrankyOldMan

I think I used the first few feet of a Corolla exhaust to make mine, just past the first catalytic converter. The rest was custom bent and welded up by a "guy I know" mechanic. If you have to pass emissions testing, that may require some more creative/expensive solutions.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:22 AM   #84
spoonzz

Congrats! You'll have it running 100% soon. Often, I wish I didn't have a 2012 automatic yaris because of this thread haha.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:39 AM   #85
stidnam

@spoonzz, you can always manual swap yours ;)

Corolla exhaust is partially hooked up and I've run the car for a period of time now. Seems to be working well. I was actually surprised that it all worked first time. Guess I should have trusted all that time I put into the wiring.

I've kept the Corolla fan controller and the only thing remaining there is to create a lead that goes from the Yaris fan to the Corolla fan controller and then permanently earth the Yaris fan relays.

I had also purchased an 86 shift knob to match the new shift pattern of the rolla box, but unfortunately it stops the reverse lockout from being raised. Problem solved now as I'd always planned on running a short extension to address the horrible height of the factory shifter.

Oh and engine cover also fitted now :)

And yes, the whole front is actually back together again now.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #86
CrankyOldMan

Glad to hear it's still coming along!

I'm afraid I can't tell what changed on the shifter. My 6-speed still has the Yaris shifter base, no reverse-lockout involved on that one and there's enough play in all directions to reach reverse on the left.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:00 AM   #87
spoonzz

I wouldn't know where to start! You do it for me, I'll pay you hahaha

What's left for you to have the car road worthy? I assume the exhaust and meeting some standards such as emissions?
Old 12-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #88
stidnam

@spoonzz, emissions won't be necessary. Using stock exhaust and Corolla cat. All it needs is the exhaust welding up now, which I'm hoping I'll get to by the end of the week.

LOL I am not in the business of engine conversions sorry :). You can have my wiring diagrams and all that work. Actually, here you go. For future reference > 2014 Corolla to 2012 Yaris fuse box wiring

@Cranky, that shifter in my photo is a zre182 shifter with the lockout. I've thrown a 50mm extension on the end of it though so the knob clears the reverse lockout. I'm used to driving around with a 20cm shift knob. It's a little excessive, but the Yaris factory position is way too short in my opinion. 50mm increase should be a nice compromise.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #89
spoonzz

Hahah, it was a joke (mostly :P)

Thanks for the diagram. I have saved it. By any chance will you be doing a short summary or write up after everything?

...please say yes
Old 12-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #90
stidnam

Here's the summary
- 2012 - 2014 Toyota Corolla MT parts
* Engine with all ancillaries
* Gearbox
* Flywheel and clutch
* ABS actuator
* Front exhaust pipe and Oxy sensor
* ECU
* Engine loom
* MAF
* Shifter cage and shift knob
* Small ECU plug that runs to the fuse box
* Radiator fan controller with plugs
- Toyota IST/Scion XD airbox and intake pipe
- GRMN Yaris engine mounts and shifter cables
- NZE141 brake master reservoir
- ZZE122 Corolla drive shafts
- Toyota IST/Scion XD radiator and heater hoses and filler neck
- Generic ebay overflow bottle
- 2019 Yaris ECU mounts

Optional for fuse box wiring and patch loom
- Spare fuse box plug to avoid butchering the one off the 1NZ loom
- 2x 13 pin Sumitomo TS 025 plugs with terminals (matches smaller sized ECU terminals)
- 1x 6 pin Sumitomo TS 090 plug with terminals (matches larger sized ECU terminals)
- 1x 2 pin Sumitomo TS 090 plug with terminals (for terminating the FANL wire and routing the +BM wire from the fuse box to the ECU)
- Set of Hozan P706 crimpers

The conversion is done now and the car is back on the road. AC was re-gassed today.

Everything seems to be working well and it drives pretty much like a Corolla. I've got an unusual clutch squeal when the clutch disc engages. Not sure what's causing it as everything was machined and cleaned prior to installation. I'll have to keep my eye/ear on it and fingers crossed it goes away itself.

While I've had to do a lot of research, the actual conversion was pretty straight forward and I've been impressed that everything has worked straight off the bat.

I have to be honest, this swap isn't going to blow you away. It's a noticeably quicker car now, but I feel that's mainly due to the bump in torque. The torque has made it more driveable - can cruise around in 3rd and 4th gear without having to drop back all the time, and the take off from the lights is a lot easier. Give me a few more days though and I'm not even going to remember what the 1NZ was like.

The EC60 box out of the Corolla is a nicer box than the factory Yaris 5 speed. Shift feel is improved, but first gear is way too short. Frustratingly short. It's pretty much there to get you off the line and then you hit second. In this regard, it'd probably be better off looking at a C5X box with better ratios. However, the Quaife is amazing. Totally worth doing.

There is one thing that really feels like a step back from the 1NZ - the rev hang that comes with the 2ZR. It's so much worse than the 1NZ in the 3rd gen Yaris. I thought I knew what rev hang was, until I drove the Yaris with the 2ZR. You get used to it, but I feel the EC60 ratios exacerbate the problem. If I were doing this over again, I'd consider getting a light weight flywheel to try and help the problem. Though I think a lot of it has to do with the ECU programming.

In summary, if you want to know what it's going to be like to do a 2ZR conversion to a Yaris, go and drive a manual Corolla to get a feel for the motor and gearbox, then go drive an 86 to get a rough idea of how quick the car will feel (give or take).