Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Drives: 2003 Toyota Echo comp hack
Ameristralia United. Help with parts for swap from US

Dear members in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.

Downunder we didn't get the scion, or the 1.8L Yaris, so those kind of parts to do the 2ZR swap aren't available.

The Engine and Gearbox I would of course buy locally, or get a ZRE152 Corolla Front Cut.

Looking for someone in the US who is able to get parts from a wrecker/breaker for me over time, and then ship. I think it's only the Engine Mount and Bracket that I need, but not sure about the ECU.

It looks something like this;

2ZRFE engine - I'll source from a Corolla.
xD ECM - ? xD Manual or use the Corolla? If XD, need keys to match the ECM.
xD Engine Harness - xD Manual or use the Corolla?
xD A/C compressor - Use Corolla?
xD MAF sensor and intake - Use Corolla.
xD belt - Use Corolla?
xD exhaust - Won't need.
Passenger side engine mount - Part number 12305-37091
(The engine side bracket is 12315-37040, but that should be on the used engine you get) - Need engine mount, probably bracket.

From the Armstrong Racing thread;
Xd RH and LH engine/transmission mount and brackets? (Do I need the Manual Gearbox mounts?)
xD Midpipe (might be easier to get this).
daewoo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:50 PM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
What year model are you dropping the engine in?

You shouldn't need to source anything from the US. You can obtain the engine mount through North Shore Toyota in NZ or direct out of Japan through Amayama. Any of the other XD parts with the exception of shifter cables can all be sourced out of Japan given the same car was sold over there as an IST. You also won't need shifter cables if you only change the one engine mount.

The rest of the conversion can be pieced together with corolla parts. I'm unsure if the immobiliser will sync between a zre152 and an ncp91 (assuming this is what you're using), but you can always work around that if you have the corolla immobiliser and key :)
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Definitely need to know which car it's going into since the Echo and Yaris are physically different. The other hurdle may be the LHD/RHD conflict--as discovered by a certain YouTube channel that did a 2ZR swap.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
What year model are you dropping the engine in?

You shouldn't need to source anything from the US. You can obtain the engine mount through North Shore Toyota in NZ or direct out of Japan through Amayama. Any of the other XD parts with the exception of shifter cables can all be sourced out of Japan given the same car was sold over there as an IST. You also won't need shifter cables if you only change the one engine mount.

The rest of the conversion can be pieced together with corolla parts. I'm unsure if the immobiliser will sync between a zre152 and an ncp91 (assuming this is what you're using), but you can always work around that if you have the corolla immobiliser and key :)
I'm going to try and do it into an Echo (I know I'll need to cut the rails), but thought getting the bits that would allow the swap into a Gen1 Yaris (NCP90) would be a good start, and getting them from a friendly American, with access to cheap used parts, rather than buying new and probably not using them would be financially smarter. Buy new what is used later.

I'm sure issues with the immobiliser could be overcome but swapping ignition barrels or something.

I wrote the parts list from the Swap threads on here, not sure if you're the guy who posted here that you work for King Wreck, but u-pull-it prices here are not good, and anything else at a wrecker is even worse. Expenive way to do research.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #5
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The other hurdle may be the LHD/RHD conflict--as discovered by a certain YouTube channel that did a 2ZR swap.
Thinking for my Echo, knowing it isn't the common or easy swap that the Yaric (NCP90) is.

I don't remember MCM's issue the the LHD/RHD difference. Mind refreshing my memory?
Old 10-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I was thinking that it was the right hand motor mount, but that may have been because they had to have it special ordered from Japan. I know they had problems with the turbo location from the steering column being on that side, drawing a blank on which side the ECU is mounted and if they needed a different engine wire harness.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Mate, none of the XD 2ZR parts are applicable for a swap into an Echo. Completely different chassis. Hasn't even been done to my knowledge.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote