Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Driving to Fairbanks Alaska

I have a brother and his family in Fairbanks I havn't touched base with for a few years. I am pondering over how to get up there and back in the most cost effective manner. Keeping in mind I have an airplane (small, experimental) that cruises at 90 mph using a bit less then 4 GPH, and my time is not really valuable, but my income stops totally when I am out of town (one man crane service).

After figuring the expense of a commercial airline ticket, the gas and most especially the time flying my own plane (bad weather can result in several days waiting through weather I could easily drive through) I keep coming back to just jumping in the '08 HB Yaris and hitting the road. I'd re-install my sleeper bunk, and just sleep on the road when required, and I'd be able to take Ted the dog.... 5400 miles round trip, figured at 40 mpg that's only 135 gallons. I'd take some extra fuel cells (5.2 gallons ea. made of collapsible rubber) I normally haul in the airplane, so I could buy fuel when it's cheapest. I have flying buddies (in other states) that can't believe I'd pass up the flight, but the border hassles/red tape for getting through with a homebuilt airplane, weather, and total potential time spent on the trip keep me coming back to the mighty Toyota. KISS in other words. If I make the trip, I would probably throw in the spare tire, normally kept in the shop, other then that I would just hit it. The thought of making the trip in the Yaris appeals to my sense of doing more with less, and with just me and Ted, there'd be plenty of room. I'll post a brief report after I make the trip, along with my (carefully) documented fuel burn.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
I have a brother and his family in Fairbanks I havn't touched base with for a few years. I am pondering over how to get up there and back in the most cost effective manner. Keeping in mind I have an airplane (small, experimental) that cruises at 90 mph using a bit less then 4 GPH, and my time is not really valuable, but my income stops totally when I am out of town (one man crane service).

After figuring the expense of a commercial airline ticket, the gas and most especially the time flying my own plane (bad weather can result in several days waiting through weather I could easily drive through) I keep coming back to just jumping in the '08 HB Yaris and hitting the road. I'd re-install my sleeper bunk, and just sleep on the road when required, and I'd be able to take Ted the dog.... 5400 miles round trip, figured at 40 mpg that's only 135 gallons. I'd take some extra fuel cells (5.2 gallons ea. made of collapsible rubber) I normally haul in the airplane, so I could buy fuel when it's cheapest. I have flying buddies (in other states) that can't believe I'd pass up the flight, but the border hassles/red tape for getting through with a homebuilt airplane, weather, and total potential time spent on the trip keep me coming back to the mighty Toyota. KISS in other words. If I make the trip, I would probably throw in the spare tire, normally kept in the shop, other then that I would just hit it. The thought of making the trip in the Yaris appeals to my sense of doing more with less, and with just me and Ted, there'd be plenty of room. I'll post a brief report after I make the trip, along with my (carefully) documented fuel burn.

Mind the potholes! My mom made the drive from Oregon to Anchorage several years ago and she always talked about the brutal potholes along the way and the poor road conditions...I don't know if its still that way, this was a good 15 years ago after all. BTW, she never made the drive back, she happily spent the rest of her life there. It really is a beautiful place. To experience it will change the way you look at the world. One thing though, never underestimate the terrain, and never leave any detail to chance...as beautiful as it is it can kill you if you don't respect it.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
At an average of 60 mph there would 90 hours of drive time. That would take 7 days of driving 13 hours per day. Have fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
As far as KISS, I'd fly commercial and board Ted out at a kennel. Driving 5400 miles wouldn't be fun for me.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Slitwrist Smile

Drives: 2008 yari sedan/2007 sc'd tC
Hmm.. buy your brother a ticket and get him out of that cold cold hell :)
Slitwrist Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Idahotom

It's been warmer the last few days In Fairbanks then here!

The road has vastly improved, so much that, and this is maybe some sort of record, a niece and her husband, driving a small Hummer () pulling a trailer with a jut ski on it, made it from Tampa Florida to Fairbanks in 6 days......ANY way you do the math, that's hauling ass!

It really is looking like the commercial flight is hard to beat, it would be cheaper over all, and obviously quicker. Too bad in a way, but hard to argue with the numbers. I've driven it twice before , but 30, make that 40, years ago, then it was a fairly big deal, now it's just a very long drive, they've taken all the adventure out of it. The scenary remains great though!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I just got home from a 300 mile road trip and I'm beat to hell, the Yaris just isn't made for a long drive - I also don't have cruise. The last time I took this same trip I rented a new Nissan Altima and it was nice. Next weekend I will have had my 2010 for a year and I only have 7000 miles on it, so you can tell from this I don't do road trips.

I think flying is your smartest choice!
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I'd rock that road trip in the Yaris! I think it would be fun!

My wife is not a fan of long car trips so we end up flying which I think sucks, especially now.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Idahotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I just got home from a 300 mile road trip and I'm beat to hell, the Yaris just isn't made for a long drive - I also don't have cruise. The last time I took this same trip I rented a new Nissan Altima and it was nice. Next weekend I will have had my 2010 for a year and I only have 7000 miles on it, so you can tell from this I don't do road trips.

Smart doesn't enter into it! I totally agree, flying makes the most sense, but I do a lot of stupid things. A recent very quick trip to Las Vegas and back pretty much non stop confirmed my earlier long distance impression (I bought it in Michigan and pounded the trip back) of the Yaris: I find it very comfortable for extended drives, but I will NEVER try to sleep in it with the seats reclined! SUPER uncomfortable, something about the hinge point of the back rest, I like it while driving, hate it for trying to catch a few z's. BTW, installing cruise was the first thing I did when I got home, that makes a huge difference at least for me.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post

Haha...I drive 300 miles roundtrip to work 2x's a week. A good portion of that is on the 5 going through LA, sometimes it takes me 6 hours to get it all done. :)

My odometer 03/11
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I just drove there and back. 16 days, 10,400 miles, $3100 in gas and hotels and misc. Used a hotplate in my room at night for means also a lot of spam and beans.

If you like trips its awesome.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

I just noticed the Fairbanks part...I also have a brother that lives there. Small world!

My odometer 03/11
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I just drove there and back. 16 days, 10,400 miles, $3100 in gas and hotels and misc. Used a hotplate in my room at night for means also a lot of spam and beans.

If you like trips its awesome.

+1 bronsin did look like he had an awesome time!

NJ To Alaska In My YARIS

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote