Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
2013 Chevy Malibu - ECO model gets 38 MPG!

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Kal-El

These MPG numbers are really getting impressive from GM. 38 MPG highway in a mid-size, almost full size car? Wow. They already have the class leading Cruze Eco at 42 MPG.

Our 35 MPG Yaris's are really starting to look insignificant. Weird since we were the leader up until this year as far as non-hybrids go.

Nice evolution in styling too.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I was actually thinking that it really looked like an old people's car.

But yeah, I'm really interested in what GM is doing now too. In a couple years when I'm ready to move on from the Yaris, I think the Cruze or the Spark are looking like serious contenders. Still waiting to see what the reliability info is like on the Cruze, but I like everything else about it.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I'll wait another 5 years before deciding on GMs reliability on these new eco cars coming out....

Toyota def. needs to step up their game...bring some of the models in Japan over here to kill the MPGs from GM and Ford :)
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
The interior looks really, really nice.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
Finally gm is making nice fuel efficient cars that don't look like something my grandma would drive. I have to admit I'd take a malibu over a camry anyday toyotas line up is really looking stale even the new carolla looks fugly.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
The interior looks really, really nice.
Here's a better pic....

Impressive

Here's a pic of the ECO model (the red one above is actually the regular model)...

Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
love the tail lights. GM is doing good with their new engineers. i like very much...wouldnt mind having one if i could afford it.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Here's a better pic....

Impressive
Indeed. The gauges look like they were borrowed from the Camaro.

It's so annoying though, when every promo picture is of the car with the nav screen. I'm not rich, dammit! :)
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #10
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I like the looks but know too many people who have them.OK for the first couple of years and then the cels and electronic problems start........Not mechanical issues, electrical issues with the computers and such.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
eww i think that is gross. I just wonder though how slow these cars are, what else can they do but manipulate the transmissions to test out at these numbers?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
eww i think that is gross. I just wonder though how slow these cars are, what else can they do but manipulate the transmissions to test out at these numbers?
GM does a lot more than simply put a tall 6th gear in the ECO models.
Using the Cruze Eco as an example, here's an excerpt from an article that talks about some of these changes...

Quote:
So what has GM actually done to its pint-sized sedan to be able to wring out such lofty fuel economy claims? The company says that it tackled the Cruze Eco with a three-pronged strategy to maximize the vehicle's efficiency. That started with optimizing the vehicles aerodynamics, but carried into reducing weight and tweaking the powertrain a bit as well.

On the aerodynamic front, GM bolted on a complete underbody tray to reduce wind turbulence, and small plastic spats were installed ahead of each tire to better control airflow around the wheels. Additionally, the engineers made the decision to reduce the Eco's tow rating (yes, the Cruze has a tow rating), allowing them to further close off the front grille while still maintaining proper engine temperature.

But the biggest aerodynamic claim to fame comes from the Cruze Eco's trick active shutter system. Once the vehicle reaches a speed of around 38 mph, an algorithm calculates input on everything from ambient air temperature to engine temperature and load to determine when to automatically close a set of plastic slats nestled in the lower fascia. All told, the aero tweaks netted the Cruze Eco a coefficient of drag that's 10 percent slipperier than that of the standard sedan.

GM also set about stripping as much weight as possible from the four-door, starting with a set of special Alcoa forged-aluminum 17-inch wheels that are 5.3-pounds lighter per wheel than the stock rollers. In fact, The General's engineers are fond of saying that no piece of sheetmetal went unweighed in the quest to slim the Cruze Eco's waistline. A total of 42 changes were made to the car in the name of shedding pounds, and as a result, the green-leaning Cruze hits the scales at a relatively feathery 3,009 pounds. That's 214 pounds lighter than the standard-issue model thanks to things like smaller weld flanges throughout the structure and thinner sheetmetal on a few body components.

Pop the hood and a host of mechanical changes join in the fight to help the Cruze Eco nab its lofty EPA numbers, too. While one of the most obvious changes is that the 1.4-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine is bolted to a six-speed manual gearbox, the minds at GM have pulled a few other quick tricks to squeeze as much efficiency as possible from the recipe. The air-conditioner compressor now wears a clutch in addition to being continuously variable to reduce drag on the engine. Likewise, an intelligent charging system only engages the alternator when it's required.