Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Gear oil change choices (Canadians)

So im at the 63,500 km mark now, and wanna swap my stock tranny fluid with a synthetic gear oil...

I live in a town and cant find many (or ANY, lol) of the highly recommend brands... Redline, RP, etc. (And to order them online and have them shipped up here in Canada to me simply makes them cost too much in the end for me to want to purchase them.)

I'm stuck using what the local Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire has on the shelf, unfortunately.

Does anyone here have an opinion on Canadian Tire's MotoMaster Synthetic 75w90 gear oil?

Obvi it wont be as choice as using Redline MT-90, but its still gotta be better (and cheaper) than using the stock regular oil you get from the dealership, non? (Which, btw, is $18 a litre, LOL!)

Any improvement in shifting smoothness would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!

There were a few other options I could go with as well for synthetic gear oil... I'll post them here once I recall/check.

Also, I think MotoMaster Synth 75w90 specifies that its a GL-5 (but that its inclusive to include GL-4 too...)

From what I've read on here already, it seems with our Yarises you def wanna go with a proper GL-4 gear oil, not a GL-5 (even though it does work and is listed in the manual).

Seems ppl have stated on here that their shifts feel notchier and worse when they've used a GL-5 gear oil, but that things improved immediately and wonderfully once they switched to a GL-4 gear oil.

So what I'm wondering is that if all the synth gear oil products I can find locally specify that they are GL-5s, is it prolly better just to stick with the stock transmission oil that dealership is gonna pump into my Yaris?

Thanks for any responses and opinion. Greatly appreciated.

Jem